View Diary: And the 2008 Katherine Harris Award goes to... (229 comments)

•  It's a well-known fact that right-wing (9+ / 0-)

parties benefit from lower votern turnout.

Why? Simple. Because right-wing voters are renowned for being disciplined. To use a stereotype, they go en masse from church to the voting booths on election day, escorted by the priest, of course.

And left-wingers? Ah, we're civilised. If it's a nice day, we take our families and go on a trip, unless the election is truly important.

So, generally high turnout spells doom for the wingnuts and I'm not surprised they're trying every dirty trick in the book. I wish they wouldn't, of course, but jumping into an area of criminality is the next best thing - once they're convicted, they are a far greater liability to their party than if they simply lost.

Omne malum nascens facile opprimitur, inveteratum fit plerumque robustius. - Cicero

by Dauphin on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:24:50 AM PDT

•  Speaking for myself, (1+ / 0-)
      Dauphin

I am totally undisciplined.  I admit it.  I don't think I could take a seven hour wait.  I get migraines.  I have one right now.  It's likely I'd pass out.  I have an absentee ballot to manage that possibility, but what if I didn't have that option?  It pisses me off that people have to be put out like that.

"I always wanted a son named Zamboni." Sarah Palin

by llamaRCA on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:28:53 AM PDT

•  I'll wait... (7+ / 0-)

...as long as it takes. Especially this election. I'm going to bring a book, a partner and a water bottle.

"...Reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." Richard Feynman

by QuestionAuthority on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:31:31 AM PDT

•  Good for you. (1+ / 0-)
          Dauphin

If I hadn't gotten the absentee ballot I was going to take a folding camp chair.  Someone here had posted the idea of taking folding chairs and leaving them at polling sites for people who might need them.  I thought that was really nice.

"I always wanted a son named Zamboni." Sarah Palin

by llamaRCA on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:36:23 AM PDT

•  Bring snacks, an umbrella for sun or showers. (2+ / 0-)
          Dauphin, Thinking Fella

"No way, no how, no McCain." Hillary Clinton

by keeplaughing on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:44:03 AM PDT

•  If you need a reading list for the wait... (1+ / 0-)
          amRadioHed

I'd recommend Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency.

Any time you think the wait is too long, look down at the page, think of Palin, and your resolve will be magically replenished.

(not that Palin is anywhere near smart enough to have the kind of pull Cheney exercised - especially during his first term, but I do believe she thinks she's running for an office in the fourth branch of government.)

•  Just this once, take the Maxalt. (1+ / 0-)
        Dauphin

"No way, no how, no McCain." Hillary Clinton

by keeplaughing on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:43:16 AM PDT

•  I would like more verification of the 7 hr. wait. (0+ / 0-)

I heard shorter wait times in DeKalb, also a very blue area.  Not sure what happened to cause such a long wait.

"John McCain has proven that he's not a maverick, he's erratic." -- John Kerry on McCain's impulsive choice for VP, 8/31/08

by beachmom on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 01:03:00 PM PDT

•  Please go and pass out in line! what TV!! (0+ / 0-)

I mean that in the nicest possible way--no wishes for your ill health--but this stuff . . . argh! . . . must pound head against keyboard . . . what's a civilian to do, but show up with thirty of their friends and oh, sing off key or have pizza delivered or go into labor or whatever else to point out how utterly outrageous this is.

Voting is the #%$*& definition of our system of government! If we can't figure out how to get the citizens' ballots cast, the whole thing is a sham. If the secretary of state can't figure it out--and that's her primary duty--then she is incompetent and ought to be replaced!

"History isn't a seesaw. If you have a bad regime on one side, the actions on the other side don't automatically become good." --Nicholson Baker

by youpsy on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 01:58:14 PM PDT