View Diary: And the 2008 Katherine Harris Award goes to... (229 comments)

•  I always want to post a pic with these cretins (10+ / 0-)

because they hardly ever fail as Republican cartoon characters . . . even down to the Barbara Bush ginormous pearls:

title=

•  Eeeeeeeeeeeek! (7+ / 0-)

Scary lady! Scary lady!

Seriously, though, why do Republicans have to look like something that's crawled out of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Omne malum nascens facile opprimitur, inveteratum fit plerumque robustius. - Cicero

by Dauphin on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:30:36 AM PDT

•  Maybe because that tale wasn't really (4+ / 0-)

fictional afterall?

•  She is not just our Harris. (11+ / 0-)

She is also Georgia's Sarah Palin. She is widely considered a frontrunner to be Georgia's next governor. Please keep her on the radar of progressives not just in Georgia. Any efforts to drive up her negatives between now and 2010 will be a gift to all of us Georgians.

•  While there is quite a bit of good reporting in (0+ / 0-)

the AJC, I'm afraid it doesn't really have a lot of political sway in the state anymore.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you." - David Foster Wallace

by John Shade on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 12:43:38 PM PDT

•  Well, gee whiz, (1+ / 0-)
              RedStateDem

Wonder why not?  Its diminishing influence couldn't be due to an overwhelmingly Republican power structure in the state, could it?  Nor, perhaps, to the ever diminishing influence of print these days, nor to the pervasive influence of talk radio and Fox news.

The AJC has always been a liberal paper.  Jay Bookman, Cynthia Tucker, and cartoonist Mike Luckovich are pretty liberal.  I have blocked the AJC's conservative ones out of my brain.  Can't even think of their names.

•  I think Wooten's the only on staff one, but man (1+ / 0-)
                dww44

do they ever run too many of David Brooks' tripe.

by John Shade on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 02:22:57 PM PDT

•  When AJC's Vent column was born, I (0+ / 0-)

avoided it because it was so filled with hate from conservatives. Then I started reading it because it was so filled with hate from conservatives. Figured it was better to keep my enemies closer. Wooten is such an assh0le, I read his articles for the same reason. Whoever and whatever he approves, I go out of my way to do the opposite.

And while the AJC editorial board is mostly liberal, the letters to the editor are filled with veiled racist slurs, absolute bullshit claims and a totally conservative slant. Maybe it's AJC's way of showing "balance," or maybe the majority of letter writers are brain-dead.

I also get angry that every op-ed piece is paired with the "other" point of view (as if there's two sides, and only two sides, to each issue discussed) and that those spouting vitriol have apparently never met a fact-checker. It's like saying evolution and creationism are equally valid theories -- wait, actually they HAVE run that one, several times.

Like those 19,700 misprinted (bubble outline was too heavy, scanners wouldn't read them) absentee ballots sent from Gwinnett county (and the 10,000 already returned being copied by hand onto the "corrected ballots." They've just this week mailed out the CBs, and if they're not returned by Tuesday, well, "Too bad," as Handel put it. Oh, and those 8-hour lines? "We didn't expect such a heavy turnout." I'm sorry, didn't you see the enormous turnout for the primary voting?

Handel is playing straight from the Republican handbook -- too few machines at locations in minority areas, "glitches" in the voting program to verify your required picture ID, that "have been fixed." Oh please.

Did y'all hear about the guy who was so peeved at having his McCain signs stolen that he rigged one with a trip-wire rifle? And that he's going to sit waiting and shoot the next person who dares to steal his beloved lawn signs? The police said it wasn't illegal because he's allowed to protect his property. Another guy wrote about smearing his signs with Vaseline to make them harder to grasp; responders suggested he embed razor blades within the jelly, or surround the sign with dog shit. IMO, I think he should smear the sign with
                dog shit.

•  Here's the actual letter in the AJC 10/26: (0+ / 0-)

No photo ID? That tells you something

Please, enough of Cynthia Tucker’s self-induced hysteria over voter ID ("Don’t buy frenzy over voter fraud," @issue, Oct. 19). Republicans/conservatives have gotten enough wrong in the last four years to keep legions of liberal editorialists busy, but the one issue that absolutely rings true seems to irritate the most.

The notion that anyone eligible to vote should be able to produce some rudimentary form of identification is so innocuous that opposition to it seems odd, unless you look at it in terms of the Democratic Party’s vision of America.

They know that a majority of the would-be voters who are the focus of their current registration frenzy are the uninformed, lazy, never-bothered-to-vote-before segment of society most likely to fall for their government-as-nanny pitch, and the ones most unlikely to possess something as "daunting" as photo ID.

JAMES M. WILEY

Decatur

•  Our paper does the same (0+ / 0-)

Since everyone considers them liberal, they publish mostly conservative syndicated op ed columnists.  And the only one leaning left who is worth anything at all is Eugene Robinson.  I have been begging them to carry Garrison Keillor because, to my mind, no one is better able to skewer the other side with great good humor and great writing as he can and does.

I once had one of the  local editorial people tell me in an email, after I counted the # of conservatives versus liberals they carry, that they counted themselves as liberals. Oh, so that is why we have such a preponderance of conservative opeds, about 5 to 1 to be honest!  On the letters page they do a good job of doing a cross section, but there are some real rabid ones who get published.  How could anyone with any sense not be liberal?  Really.  By the way, my paper here in Macon carries more letters than does the AJC, based on my observations.

And the explanation about the Gwinnet bad absentee ballots I have forwarded along to a young Howard University student in DC who has NOT received hers even though her Mom in Gwinnett has repeatedly checked on it.

•  Grab (0+ / 0-)

the blue eye shadow Karen.

Kill a Polar Bear for Jesus - McSame/Palin 08

by DavidW on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:44:16 AM PDT

•  At least she's not wearing red (0+ / 0-)
    •  Just what we need (2+ / 0-)
      RedStateDem, alkalinesky

another pig with lipstick on.

•  We need to get this in the body of the diary!! (2+ / 0-)
      alkalinesky, InfinityLincoln

IF Georgia turns blue I am going to need a new Daily Kos name!

by RedStateDem on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:38:18 AM PDT

•  I see a family resemblance (2+ / 0-)
      DEQ54, InfinityLincoln

to Dolores Umbridge.

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship -- Louisa May Alcott

by kptlaurie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 11:46:40 AM PDT

•  Designing Women Anyone? (1+ / 0-)
      RedStateDem

Anyone notice how much she looks like Suzanne Sugerbaker on Designing Women....  whose Husband in Real Life Gerald McRaney is a raging gun toting Republican!!!!