View Diary: Down to the Wire with Proposition 8's Assault on Human Rights.   (259 comments)

•  These wedge issues don't really work (6+ / 0-)

I don't know why the backers of Prop 8 thought that it would be a good idea to put things like this on the ballot. Karl Rove had the same idea in the past but even he realized that in addition to drawing out your own voters, you draw out people that are against it and that for the most part it cancels out.

Personally it just looks like this measure will convince voters in the heavily urban areas that might not have thought their California vote for Obama was going to matter much that they really do still need to show up. All the better, really.

Their best bet was to do so in an off year, when there is neither a Presidential or a Gubernatorial election going on.

•  They did it because they think they ... (11+ / 0-)

...can win, which they have done in 18 states the past four years, in some cases banning civil unions as well.

I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to having the eagle put its talons on any other land. -- Mark Twain

by Meteor Blades on Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 09:23:12 AM PST

•  This is why California is a beachhead (5+ / 0-)

for both sides.  If they can amend the California constitution to include discrimination, it will be an enormous boost for the fundies. If we can beat them back (decisively I hope) it will energize folks in the other states to get rid of those hateful laws.

Electing a Republican is like hiring a carpenter who thinks hammers are evil.

by dotalbon on Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 09:25:44 AM PST

•  of course it depends on the state (1+ / 0-)
        dotalbon

Cali probably isn't going to be one of them, thankfully. Its the same strategy I remember being used in Oregon when the OCA tried to prevent crimes against homosexuals from being declared hate crimes. It didn't pass statewide so they went the next year and got it to pass in the counties they could get.

I'm not so worried because Californians are pretty reliable in voting no on ballot measures on general principle.

•  Wedge issues help "activate" the base (1+ / 0-)
      Eddie L

I believe that the 'Pubs deploy them to rile up low-info voters who might not be sufficiently enthused by the corporate stooges or the corporate giveaways on the ballot.

Prop-8 feels different tho'. No strong party endorsements. The heavy participation by the Mormons and Knights of Columbus is truly creepy.

This one may be a genuine "culture war" battle. There's nothing like an Inquisition to bump up church attendance.

BushCheney Inc. - They lied to me, they lied to you, they lied to our troops.

by jjohnjj on Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 09:39:44 AM PST

•  And it helps them in the downticket races by (0+ / 0-)

.... getting the so - called "family values" neocon Republicans (gag) dragged out to the polls to vote for yet another Republican who is going to screw them over financially.

There is an intersection of 2 roads several miles away where I have replaced a Brown for Congress sign at least 6 times.  It's in a very rural area with some multimillion dollar houses overlooking it.   Other people have also been replacing it because sometimes the sign disappears for a few hours and then it magically reappears but shifted around to a slightly different orientation, when I come back on the return trip to replace it.  I originally put it up to counterpoint the McClintock and Prop 8 signs on all the corners, they used to just take the Brown and throw it in a nearby pasture with some trash, but I was fetching it back out and putting it back, so now it just will go missing completely.

This is what I saw the last time the Brown sign disappeared again.

Hall of Shame,McClintock

Hey Fag, steal this sign. My dog and I pissed on it. Sniff your fingers

I don't steal their crappy Yes On Hate 8 signs.  But I hope the really wealthy people behind the gated driveways up the hill overlooking it don't mind if I post this here this morning to show their taste in political discourse.

Said politician named in the sign says marriage is only for the "creation of children"  and that Lincoln said a dog has 4 legs and a tail, but the tail isn't a leg so a homosexual union isn't a marriage no matter what we call it.  He's real keen on those Lincoln quotes.

Nice, huh?

"Toads of Glory, slugs of joy... as he trotted down the path before a dragon ate him"-Alex Hall/ Stop McClintock

by AmericanRiverCanyon on Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 10:15:41 AM PST

•  In that case, (1+ / 0-)
        AmericanRiverCanyon

that piece of paper my spouse and I signed 17 years ago is garbage to McClintock, because we don't have kids and never intended to (even before it turned out to be medically risky for me). What's next -- denying marriage rights to infertile men and women?

My marriage doesn't need protecting, thank you very much.

by Cali Scribe on Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 10:19:03 AM PST

•  He has to check with Lincoln before he could (0+ / 0-)

.... answer that one.  Does anyone know where Lincoln stood on the issue of civil rights ?  Oh?  No owning other people and buying and selling them?

He'll have his consultants issue a Press Release for you next week. In the meantime, pray to the Deity of his choice that your fertility and youth may be restored so you can fulfill your true destiny. Procreating. Lots. No matter what.

/end snark, but not by much

by AmericanRiverCanyon on Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 10:48:36 AM PST

•  They pretty much had to do it now (1+ / 0-)
      AmericanRiverCanyon

while the court ruling was fresh in people's minds -- if they waited a year or two down the road, same-sex marriage would have been far more entrenched, and led to a messier legal battle down the road as those who were married under the court decision sued to keep their status.

My marriage doesn't need protecting, thank you very much.

by Cali Scribe on Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 10:17:08 AM PST