View Diary: CA Homophobia: They Took My Rights Away (341 comments)

•  I find this diary insensitive musing (1+ / 0-)
    evilstorm

if not outright bigoted with more than a hint of guilt by association.  Again, I don't agree with that comment in full, but a bad argument isn't automatically a trollish one.  I'd have piled on with a donut had it contained any insinuation that the passage of this proposition is okay or not a big deal.

"If you don't have a record to run on...You make a big election about small things." - Barack Obama

by GN1927 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 07:27:58 AM PST

•  It's the morning after (8+ / 0-)

an incredibly emotional election and a personally and politically devastating potential defeat. I'm cutting the diarist some slack.

•  The diarist (7+ / 0-)

...is legally married in California. Probably. But over half of the state's electorate voted that he does not deserve the fundamental human right that he and his husband enjoy.

I thought the diary was remarkably calm, under the circumstances.

"I like to go into Marshall Field's in Chicago just to see all the things there are in the world that I do not want." M. Madeleva, C.S.C.

by paxpdx on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 07:43:58 AM PST

•  I don't find hateful (1+ / 0-)
        evilstorm

guilt by association arguments calm.  Not now, not ever.  I'm in the minority in this diary obviously but I find it incredibly ironic to say the least.  So if people think it's okay for this diarist to basically declare that he will be practicing racial and religious bigotry, more power to you all.  But I find it hypocritical, at best.

by GN1927 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 07:46:42 AM PST

•  I don't either (6+ / 0-)

But as a queer Catholic, I also know that the depths of my ire at how my Church aided and abetted this act intended to deprive a class of people of fundamental rights makes KoSC's response look like mere irritation.

I didn't take it personally at all. Nor do I think it's KoSC's complete position. I understand the anger, and don't believe it's helpful to pretend it's not there. Not today.

Tomorrow's another day. And then another one. And then another one. We'll get there - but it'll take some of us "on the inside" to get there as well.

by paxpdx on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 07:56:49 AM PST

•  It just says something to me (2+ / 0-)
            evilstorm, paxpdx

that the first reaction was this hatefilled.  Not merely hurt and angry, but hateful.  I've been down this road before regarding this exact issue on this website and don't want to repeat it.  So I hope we all choose to regroup and figure out how to craft a message which will defeat an extremely ugly anti-gay Americans agenda.  The kind of bigotry contained in that proposition is such a poison to this country, that I'll stand in coalition even with people who think like this diarist who have now declared me suspicious until proven otherwise merely because of the color of my skin.

by GN1927 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 08:05:21 AM PST

•  I've been there (5+ / 0-)

I've been hurt so badly that I couldn't see clearly, and only managed to lash out in fury, pain, and rage at anyone and everyone that I perceived as somehow having something to do with that hurt - by commission or omission.

It's not remotely pretty. I'm not proud of it at all, but I'm not going to delegitimize the feelings of someone who's in the throes of it right now. It's not helpful, and it doesn't speed that part of the process along, either. There's ways to avoid going into that thrashing mire; I learned them over time - a lot of time. Someone who's just been kicked in the gut is not necessarily going to get there instantly.

My not-brother and his husband are both Catholic as well. The sadness and betrayal they feel is immense. I'm not even asking them to take the long road today; for today, I'm asking them to just get through the day, and know that they're loved. We'll have dinner tonight and talk about next steps, and I fly back to Oregon tomorrow. In California, the work will just be beginning. The pain will begin to be transformed into action.

by paxpdx on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 08:21:19 AM PST

•  You're obviously a kind soul (1+ / 0-)
                paxpdx

and yours and musing's arguments have some merit.  I don't want to pour salt into anyone's wounds, but I stand in coalition with people who think like this diarist very reluctantly, and for the limited purpose of not allowing a poisonous anti-American agenda to take root just as this country has an opportunity to turn the page from the excesses of the regressive Bush years.

Thank you very much for your civil comments, they are really appreciated.

by GN1927 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 08:27:46 AM PST