View Diary: Boycott Mormon businesses and Anyone else who Supported Prop 8 (281 comments)

•  You know, they threatened to blackmail... (3+ / 0-)
    scrape, DH from MD, unfounded

...businesses who donated to fight Prop 8.

It wasn't good when they did it.  It's not any more noble or righteous when we do it.

You are entitled to express your opinion. But you are NOT entitled to agreement.

by DawnG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 03:20:23 PM PST

•  No, they threatened (11+ / 0-)

to publish their names in the paper as "unfriendly to families" unless they made equal donation to Yes on 8.

Posted via wifi thanks to the innovation of John McCain.

by tammanycall on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 03:21:54 PM PST

•  yeah, (1+ / 0-)
        linkage

that was an attempt at blackmail.  The point being it would damage their business to be so labeled.

And that's what you're doing.

by DawnG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 03:25:38 PM PST

•  If I don't want to spend money somewhere (8+ / 0-)

I don't have to.  Yeah, that hurts their business.  They should have thought about that before they donated/voted the way they did.

So?

Posted via wifi thanks to the innovation of John McCain.

by tammanycall on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 03:27:40 PM PST

•  "they?" mormons? (0+ / 0-)

How the fuck do you know how a given mormon feels.  What right do you have to discriminate against them because of some overarching theory you have about "all mormons"

After all, we all dislike billy graham so let's discriminate against all protestants.

That's exactly the opposite of what the democratic party stands for.

•  I am not talking about "all" Mormons (3+ / 0-)
              The Gryffin, capelza, Jacques

I am talking about people who donated to 8.  And not just Mormons, but since that's what this diary's about, that's what I'm talking about.  If this is bothering you so much, why don't you ONLY patronize prop 8 donors so that you can balance me out?

Posted via wifi thanks to the innovation of John McCain.

by tammanycall on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 03:34:45 PM PST

•  Hey, if that's your position (1+ / 0-)
                Utahrd

Then I'm all for it.  Boycott any business or individual that donated to 8 to your heart's content, and I'll support you.

However "Boycott Mormon Businesses!", the title of the diary, is fucking disgusting.  Even if there's an overlap

•  I never said you couldn't... (0+ / 0-)

You're entitled to spend your money however you want to.

But you're not entitled to praise for being a dick about it.

Why do I have to keep repeating that?

IF you don't like people pointing out that you're a dick, then you don't have to keep telling them of your grand crusade.

by DawnG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 04:39:48 PM PST

•  I don't have a grand crusade (1+ / 0-)
              OHDem

This isn't my diary.  As far as I can tell, you're the one with the problem.  My first comment, if you start at the top, was along the lines of, "hmm..I've thought about doing this, but I'm not sure..."

Then I read other people's more passionate comments.  I'm not quite convinced that I will participate in this, but I don't think that economic boycott is an invalid method of protest.  Gandhi used it.  You don't agree with the method.  Fine.  But recognize that you are descending to name-calling to make you point, which leads me to believe that you don't have one.

Posted via wifi thanks to the innovation of John McCain.

by tammanycall on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 04:49:10 PM PST

•  No. It's not. (1+ / 0-)
          lighttheway

But the angels smile at your attempt to link the two. You shall certainly achieve heaven.

I can hear Rush hour from my house.

by lrbreckenripple on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 03:34:02 PM PST

•  Does anyone remember BuyBlue? (1+ / 0-)
          OHDem

Encouraging us to support businesses (and avoid businesses) depending on their political contributions, etc. The idea being to reward those businesses who supported progressive causes, were easy on the environment, supported labor, etc.

The Mormon Church (like just about every other organized religion these days) is big business (whether they admit it or not), and their members/contributors are their stockholders. To make a business change its ways, you need to persuade the stockholders.

Economic boycott is a perfectly valid technique. And I will reiterate for the diarist, we're talking about boycotting BUSINESSES not individuals.

I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

by scrape on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 04:22:27 PM PST

•  I don't care for that practice either. (0+ / 0-)

I strongly discourage overarching JUDGEMENT of people (and by extension, businesses).

It's a type of tribalism that, I think, has no place in this country.  We're trying to unite a country not divide it into colors and creeds and keeping track of who we should support and who we should withhold support becuase of some religious or political alliance.

It's no way to live.

by DawnG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 04:42:23 PM PST

•  So... you shop WalMart? nt (0+ / 0-)

by scrape on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 05:04:21 PM PST

•  Sometimes. (0+ / 0-)

I really like their BIG sub sandwiches.

by DawnG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 05:10:28 PM PST

•  Just curious. (0+ / 0-)

You going to use that as an excuse to hate me now?

I have admitted openly I sometimes shop at walmart.  I must be REALLY evil, right? right?  And you woudln't be the slightest bit rash or judgemental to despise me for it.

Hehehe.

by DawnG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 05:13:01 PM PST

•  No. I don't hate you. (0+ / 0-)

Just wish you could find a way not to support a corporation that has been so destructive to American small towns, small business and the American worker.

I don't hate you. I regret you.

by scrape on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 05:15:26 PM PST

•  Economic boycott has a long and proud place (2+ / 0-)
              OHDem, gustynpip

in the labor and civil rights movements. It's a consumer's equivalent of the strike. And like any action, there are "innocent bystanders" that may feel the effects.

Do you have a problem with labor actions that inconvenience consumers (innocent bystanders)? I'm thinking farm workers, hotel workers, et al.

Do you have a problem with peaceful civil disobedience (say, marches) that ties up traffic and inconveniences commuters and nearby residents?

Democracy is messy. It's the only way to live.

by scrape on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 05:13:23 PM PST

•  I don't have a problem with any of that. (0+ / 0-)

I have a problem with people who live their lives making lists of people they can and can not buy from or associate with or whatever just because of something like political or religious association.

There are people who as soon as you tell them you're a democrat look at you like you just spouted a tail and burped fire.

I can not imagine wasting my time casting judgement on people I don't even know.  I guess I'm just too laid back.

I'm just one of those "live and let live" types.  I have better things to work on.  I have better things to worry about.

I realize it's about priorities and I don't think people aren't entitled to be spastic and judgemental, but I don't consider it praiseworthy.

by DawnG on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 05:26:58 PM PST

•  Yep. I agree. Anyone remember the (2+ / 0-)
            scrape, OHDem

campaign to divest that did it's little part to bring down Apartheid in S. Africa?

I remember standing in the lobby of a B of A, me and about 14 of my best friends, trying to get some attention. I'll never forget one woman, who as she left, said she'd closed her account because of us.

My greatest victory, bar none, including last weekend's turning Washoe county, NV blue.

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: #34 "War is good for business...but only from a distance, the closer to the front lines, the less profitable it gets"-8.25, -6.21

by Jacques on Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 05:07:48 PM PST