View Diary: Burner a bad fit for WA-8 (107 comments)

•  If I had a nickel for every time I heard (9+ / 0-)

"I like Darcy, but"!

It is Reichert that isn't a good fit for the 8th CD.

The majority of the 8th CD, rural included, think the Iraq war has been a disaster, and that the goal should be to end the war, not stay indefinitely.

The majority of the the 8th CD think that half trillion deficits and 10 trillion debt is a bad idea.

The majority of the 8th CD think that Roe v. Wade should be preserved.

Reichert represents the 8th district poorly. He's managed to define himself as a moderate, in the same way that McCain defined himself as a maverick. Of course it is bullshit, but that's the perception.

What he has going for him, is people think of him as a good guy, an honest politician. He managed to create a credibility gap over the econ degree controversy. That, combined with the fact that Darcy has no experience as an elected official, plus the Seattle Times and a few other not so minor details, sunk the Burner campaign.

As it turns out, Darcy maybe wasn't the best CANDIDATE for the 8th. But had she been elected, as she should have, she would have represented the 8th district very, very well.

•  Good, good comment. Succint and to the point. (6+ / 0-)

My sister lives in Darcy's district and even though she voted for Burner, she was really put off by Darcy's response to the "I have a degree in Economics" bullshit. In fact, my sister said she thought her response was pitiful and keep in mind that this is a person who voted straight Dem for the first time in her life.

I think it is fair to say that Burner could have run a better campaign. That aside, your comment pretty much sums up what went wrong in this race, in my opinion.

The faux mask of anonymity amplifies the courage just like whiskey. And it just as graceful and eloquent as whiskey.

by Pager on Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 04:27:40 PM PST

•  Yeah Reichert is such a bad fit that he has (3+ / 0-)
      JPhurst, skwimmer, lauramp

BEEN ELECTED TO THE SEAT and beaten Burner twice.  Come on, I really think it is time we find someone who can WIN the seat and take it out of the Rethugs hands.

•  Dave Ross was a great candidate, and lost. (2+ / 0-)
        Indiana, oscarsmom

Who do you suggest? I don't think Darcy will run again. I'm as anxious as you are to find the right candidate.

•  Fred Jarrett? (1+ / 0-)
          Sarge in Seattle

Even when he was a Republican Legislator from the 41st he seemed more progressive than Norm Dicks. He left the R's because he was a lone voice of reason in that Caucus. He'll have two sessions as a State Senator before the 2010 and he is widely respected as an honest politician.

-7.88, -7.13 Republicans hate us for our freedoms

by ocooper on Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 04:57:26 PM PST

•  I've thought about that. (0+ / 0-)

The only downside is he's only been a Democrat for about ten minutes. But, he was well liked by the Dems before he switched parties, and the 41st LD welcomed him with open arms (myself included).

What Jarrett would have, oddly enough, is the party apparatus solidly behind him. They never really got that excited about Burner. The other thing he has is a demonstrated ability to win elections. He also has great name recognition.

I can't think of a better prospect off the top of my head.

•  He'd also have a lot of the R's (1+ / 0-)
              Sarge in Seattle

You may have heard the same thing I did when canvasing for Darcy. People who were voting D but still going to vote for the sherrif because he'd held other offices. People had a hard time accepting that just being brilliant and having a brain was sufficient reason to vote for her over the barely competent lawman.

-7.88, -7.13 Republicans hate us for our freedoms

by ocooper on Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 05:26:12 PM PST

•  Here's an amazing story about Jarrett (0+ / 0-)

More than once, the 41st LD offered to donate money to his campaign, and he said "no, Marcie Maxwell and others need it more than I do". Really, I'm not making this up. A politician turned down a contribution, because he had enough to get the job done, and other Democrats needed it more.

You don't see that every day!

•  Speaking of Marcie Maxwell, (0+ / 0-)

I'm sure she could easily get elected to the House (and in fact I would imagine that is her next intended step on the ladder). I don't know much about her as a politician -- so little, in fact, that I carefully watched her commercial to see whether she was running as a Dem or Rep -- and what little I've seen suggests to me that she's not exactly the most progressive candidate out there.

But if she ran, she'd probably win; she has amazing name recognition, connections out the wazoo, and probably has served as the real estate agent for at least half of the voters in the district. That woman can sell some houses. And now has state senator under her belt. . . .

To John McCain, War is not a metaphor for Life; Life is a metaphor for War.

by NWTerriD on Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 08:39:50 PM PST

•  I like Dave, but he was OK, not great (0+ / 0-)

I didn't think his campaign was all that effective. Mostly he ran because the state Dem chairman recruited him (Pehrens? I think that's who it was), not because he really had a fire to be a congressman. I think he would have been a good one, but unfortunately I think he's much happier where he is.

Besides, if Ross had won who would have kept the Seattle Gilbert & Sullivan society going? :)

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Now the real work begins.

by Omir the Storyteller on Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 05:37:47 PM PST

•  Paul Berendt... (0+ / 0-)

Ultimately, it wasn't effective because he lost. But he was the far superior candidate in any way you could measure except how good he looked on camera. That one really bummed me out as well. Ross is moderate, and reasonable, and knows a whole lot about absolutely everything. He killed Reichert in the debates. The RNCC dumped a bunch of attack ads late in the game, and the Democratic Party did comparatively little to support Ross.

But, any first time campaign is going to have problems. If Ross had run in 2006 I think he would have won. But then, I thought the same about Darcy in 2008!

•  my suggestion: (1+ / 0-)
          Indiana

One of our Eastside pols who have experience in getting elected from traditionally red districts, such as Laura Ruderman, Larry Springer, Roger Goodman. The key is to actually get out and doorbell. And pull out all the stops to get at least one of the papers to endorse. If you have to, tell Blethen you support repealing the estate tax, or want to crack down on CraigsList, whatever it takes. Suck up to Joni Balter, grandstand on local traffic issues, whatever it takes. Work it. We never saw Darcy out here in Duvall and Carnation, c'mon out and schmooze. Tell the teachers you wanna give em guaranteed funding and tell the Teamsters you wanna get buried in the same coffin with Jimmy Hoffa. Whatever it takes. Work it.

•  isn't that kind of a version (0+ / 0-)

of what McCain did?

..."For beauty," I replied. "And I for truth,-the two are one; We brethren are"... E. Dickinson

by peagreen on Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 06:33:59 PM PST

•  I don't know anything about (0+ / 0-)

Roger or Laura. But to trade Darcy in for Larry Springer doesn't get me excited.

•  That's not the choice (0+ / 0-)

You should ask instead whether trading Larry Springer for Dave Reichert gets you excited.

Regarding the previous comment on Roger Goodman : I doubt Roger is thinking beyond the state legislature, at least for another term or three.  I think we'll see good things from him this term, his strong re-election should give him the ability to move beyond the safe, pure kitchen table issues he's worked so far.

•  Not sure I agree with all of this (1+ / 0-)
      canyonrat

I live in the 8th, and it's a non-homogenous district in many ways - geographically, reaching from the well-to-do Eastside suburbs at the north, then south through mostly rural, unincorporated King County, then further south in Pierce County and the city of Auburn - and especially culturally.

I'd agree with Sarge's assessments as they apply to the northern part of the 8th. Further south (which happens to be where I live) it is much more gunracks-and-mudflaps conservative, and it is here that Reichert has run up decisive margins in both of his elections against Burner.

Reichert does come across as an honest guy, and deservedly so or not, he benefits from some local halo for his long service as King County sheriff.

Additionally, the Democratic Party brand has been tarnished in rural East and South King County over environmental legislation passed by the Democrat-dominated King County Council, particularly their implementation of the Critical Areas Ordinance (CAO). Though Washington courts struck down the most onerous parts of this ordinance this summer, there is a lot of anti-Democrat, residual distrust in the rural parts of the 8th.

"I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers." - Sarah Palin/Tina Fey

by Pacific NW Mark on Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 05:04:53 PM PST

•  I would have about forty cents,,,, (1+ / 0-)
      Sarge in Seattle

Sorry about your rights, we hope to have them restored shortly.

by qi motuoche on Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 05:06:53 PM PST

•  'Should have"? (0+ / 0-)

"As it turns out, Darcy maybe wasn't the best CANDIDATE for the 8th. But had she been elected, as she should have,"

I can't imagine what "should have" means in this context, except, "Burner SHOULD HAVE gotten more people to vote for her."

Well, no shit, Sherlock.

•  I wish I could write Mrs. Burner a letter... (0+ / 0-)

..or e-mail thanking her for running, and telling her how sorry I am for her loss.  Even though I live on the other side of the country, I think that, of all of our candidates this year, she was the one that spoke to me the most.

• Recommended (119)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Spam (21)
  • Labor (20)
  • Education (20)
  • GOP (20)
  • Civil Rights (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (17)
  • Economy (16)
  • Law (16)
  • Science (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site