View Diary: Big Healthcare Reform News (333 comments)

•  Consumer mandates (7+ / 0-)

without a provider mandate = corporate welfare for the insurance companies.  Medicare beneficiaries are having trouble finding a participating doctor now since Medicare does not have a requirement to accept assignment.  Expanding that problem to the entire healthcare system would be a disaster.  Krugman has never once addressed the lack of a provider requirements and the consequences of a one-sided mandate.

My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

by clonecone on Wed Nov 12, 2008 at 11:31:54 AM PST

•  I'm not sure that Krugman (5+ / 0-)

is fully aware of just how awful much of the private insurance out there is.

The weak in courage is strong in cunning-William Blake

by beltane on Wed Nov 12, 2008 at 11:43:51 AM PST

•  That's because Krugman is an economist (2+ / 0-)
        samddobermann, beltane

and not a healthcare policy expert.  I don't know why people trust his opinion when this is far from his area of expertise.  I don't go to a doctor when I need my car fixed and I don't go to an economist when I need a healthcare policy overhaul.

My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

by clonecone on Wed Nov 12, 2008 at 11:47:03 AM PST

•  these involve costs, economics, and he is (0+ / 0-)

doubtless more informed about healthcare policy than you seem to suggest. I'm sure that he has consulted with numerous doctors and experts in medicine over many years in studying this topic.

In any event, his main point seem to be that including mandates is better than not including mandates.

Supply / demand curves at some advanced level seem like they would be appropriate in analyzing this topic. I'm not an economist, but it seems like an economist of Dr. Krugman's ability is able to speak with knowledge on this topic.

It is not just doctors who determine public health policy.

They are part of a team of people.

•  His statements on this topic (0+ / 0-)

prove to me that he hasn't consulted enough.  He has not addressed the problems of accepting assignment and instead chooses to pretend that that side of the equation doesn't exist.

I didn't say anything about doctors determining policy.  I did mention policy experts and pointed out that Krugman isn't one of them.

My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

by clonecone on Wed Nov 12, 2008 at 12:05:19 PM PST

•  It seems that you may be overstating your charges (0+ / 0-)

against Dr. Krugman (and not acknowledging what relevant expertise and knowledge he brings to this topic) due to your personal view on the topic. That's fine. I understand that.

•  What relevant expertise? (1+ / 0-)
                samddobermann

I'm a Medicare policy expert who has dealt with the problems of accepting assignment and public vs private plans completing for the same providers.  I've dealt with this shit on a daily basis for years.  Krugman ignores this side of the equation.

Do you remember all the talk this summer about the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act?  The bill that would stop the cuts in payments to providers implemented by the Bush administration?  That is directly related to what we are talking about here.  Insurance companies offering Advantage plans are cutting deals with provider networks to offer larger payouts for services than the government plans offer.  That means providers are abandoning patients under traditional Medicare and are choosing to only treat patients under private Advantage plans.  That leaves people in the government plans with limited options.  They can choose to pay more in monthly premiums under an Advantage plan or they can travel, sometime hundreds of miles, to see a participating provider.  That is the exact situation Krugman is proposing we expand to the entire healthcare system.

You claim he has relevant experience.  Prove it.  Show me where he has addressed this serious flaw in mandated coverage.

My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

by clonecone on Wed Nov 12, 2008 at 12:28:26 PM PST

•  Our healthcare problem is an economic problem. (0+ / 0-)

We do not have a system to pay for the costs of healthcare in a way that provides equity and basic care for all.

•  Nearly every problem is an economic problem (0+ / 0-)

But we don't ask economists to solve every problem, do we?  Should we only listen to Krugman on climate change because it has an economic impact?  How about defense policy?  Agriculture policy?  Should Krugman's opinion be valued above all others in those areas simply because they are tied to economics?

Krugman has not addressed a fundamental problem with mandated coverage.  He has simply ignored it because it doesn't fit his argument.  That's sloppy and irresponsible.

My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

by clonecone on Wed Nov 12, 2008 at 12:38:12 PM PST

•  These plans offer a public insurance option (0+ / 0-)

namely buying into a plan like Medicare. If private insurance is awful, consumers can just opt into the public plan.