View Diary: We have ONE SHOT left to avoid economic disaster (56 comments)

•  Okay, maybe I'm cranky (2+ / 0-)
    ablington, divineorder

this morning, but the idea that there is ONE SHOT before we all go to hell in a handbasket strikes me as hysterical.  I agree with your diary that part of the solution is to spend on infrastructure.  Obama has said he will do this.

This statement, however, that you quote by Kunstler is just nuts:

And with modern-day immorality and the prevalent "me first " attitude, I have no doubt that riots and looting would absolutely explode.

For heaven's sake...calm the hell down.  Right now, I don't see what we can do here to "not blow it" ... I voted for Obama, and I trust that he will do what is necessary to fix the economy.  Maybe it will be too late, maybe the second Great Depression is coming, but I guess I'll just have to do what other people did during the first Great Depression.  Live through it.

Speak softly and carry a big can of tuna.

by Cat Whisperer on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 08:16:43 AM PST

•  You Sound A LOT like Brittney Spears (1+ / 0-)
      Knarfc

"We should just trust our President".

Where'd that get us?

Obama is not the messiah.

RMD

The Bushiter's Iraq 2004 - 1268 Dead, about 25K Medivacs and 9000 Maimed... It's the Bushiter Way, wasting other people's money and lives. And it's worse now.

by RedMeatDem on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 08:18:29 AM PST

•  So, what do you advise (0+ / 0-)

that we DO?  That's the problem I have with these diaries screaming the end is near.  I agree, Obama is not the messiah.  I'm not saying we should trust him unconditionally.  Jeesh, let the man take office first and let's see what happens.  In the meantime, if there is something I can do to prevent the coming economic collapse, please let me know because right now all I see that can make a difference is to watch what I spend and to try and to keep my job.

Speak softly and carry a big can of tuna.

by Cat Whisperer on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 08:28:18 AM PST

•  Your to do list (2+ / 0-)
          divineorder, 4kedtongue
          1. Write letter to editor.
          1. Wrote Obama transition team.
          1. Tell friends to do same.
          1. Keep close tabs on developments

A conservative is a scab for the oligarchy.

by NBBooks on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 08:37:45 AM PST

•  Hah. That was funny. (0+ / 0-)

This site is filled with those of us who are politically active and writing to express our viewpoints is what we do as a matter of course.  I meant WHAT ELSE?

Speak softly and carry a big can of tuna.

by Cat Whisperer on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 08:44:54 AM PST

•  I would also suggest (0+ / 0-)
              1. Buy a gun and learn how to use it safely.

Because in a few years you're going to wish you had if you don't.

There's really nothing we can do individually to affect who Obama picks for whatever. He's already completely insulated from anyone who's not a mover and shaker.

A mass movement of some kind might scare some people in Congress and the administration into changing direction a few years out when the dimensions of the economic disaster are fully revealed. But a year or two isn't much time to build a mass movement, and a mass movement will not be created by people whose major concerns are worrying about the "right" to "marriage equality", or what racist statement somebody made 10+ years ago, or whether fashion models are making young girls anorexic—when the "minor" issues many people are going to be facing will be eviction from their homes, or having no heat in the winter, or having to step around dead bodies in the street on the way to the train station where emergency food supplies are being unloaded (too bad about those empty supermarkets). Our aims and our ideas may be good, but we consistently fail to prioritize them based on the likely future we're looking at.

•  Spiky-Haired Mutant Cannibals? (0+ / 0-)

Funny how "buy a gun and learn to use it" ALWAYS comes up in EVERY "potential disaster" scenario (I heard the same thing in 1998-99 during the run-up to the dreaded Y2K non-event). And even funnier how it is hardly ever necessary.

Now, if you're out in a semi-rural area and your idea is to supplement your food supply with wild game, there's a certain amount of common sense to it. But if you're in the city, the only reason to want a gun is fear of the Spiky-Haired Mutant Cannibals who will overrun the neighborhood when society collapses.

Except, it never has yet and they don't exist.

If you're even thinking of getting a gun to defend yourself against that sort of thing - better think twice. If you aren't absolutely sure you could pull a trigger on another human being - don't. (And if you are absolutely sure, maybe your neighbors should be afraid of you!)

Yes We Did! Yes We Will!

by TheOtherMaven on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 09:26:58 PM PST

•  Yeah, we get it. (0+ / 0-)

You are pretty much a one trick pony in reminding us that we are fools to trust Obama in any capacity.

Ablington is a scab at the bending factory. Relentless!

by ablington on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 09:25:09 AM PST

•  You're Pretty Much a ONE-TRICK PONY at... (1+ / 0-)
          divineorder

attempting to squelch questioning of what is going on in the Transition...

Of course, when the Transition is completed, it will be too late to question it then.

It will be a fait accompli

A VERY 'opinion mercenary' way to operate.

RMD

by RedMeatDem on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:55:47 PM PST

•  FDR tried several different approaches, one after (3+ / 0-)

another, and he never got to a comprehensive solution until World War Two provided it.

But he did make economic conditions considerably better, even if not ideal, and he restored national morale.

The influence of the [executive] has increased, is increasing, and ought to be diminished.

by lysias on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 08:21:40 AM PST