View Diary: I cancelled my Marriott reservation today over Prop 8 -- Boycott Marriott! (324 comments)

•  Hardly... (0+ / 0-)

The actions I described as possible responses by a Marriott lawyer fall far short of a "no Mormonism" policy.  Try reading them!

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

by Viceroy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 01:57:23 PM PST

•  Buying out the shares of managers (0+ / 0-)

because they have ties to religion is illegal.

•  No it's not... (0+ / 0-)

Counter-parties buy and sell securities every single day for any number of reasons and it most certainly is not illegal.  Try again - you've read one of them (and none of them would constitute a "no Mormonism" policy).

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

by Viceroy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:05:17 PM PST

•  Buying out the shares of managers means they (0+ / 0-)

lose their jobs because of their religion.  How is that legal?

•  No it doesn't... (0+ / 0-)

Buying shares means you buy shares.  Employment relations are a completely separate matter.  Individuals in inside (or outside) management or directorship positions can sell their shares to their employer corporation and maintain their lucrative jobs.  It happens all the time and, most certainly, is NOT illegal.  Try again.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

by Viceroy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:19:10 PM PST

•  This is making no sense. (0+ / 0-)

Are you going to put them on a special list, so they get no further shares?  And, buying their shares at a set price when they could get more if they held on to them longer is discrimination anyway.

•  Huh? (0+ / 0-)

No special list.  Sell at market price.  Not illegal.

I really think you should read up on securities laws.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

by Viceroy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:28:50 PM PST

•  And if the managers refuse to sell? (0+ / 0-)

Then what?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

by ticket punch on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:29:28 PM PST

•  You need to read some employment law. (1+ / 0-)
                  ticket punch

You cannot force employees to do something like sell their shares based on their religion.  That is discrimination based on their religion, and it is illegal.  If you are giving stock to your employees, but don't give it to the Mormons, that is also illegal.  If you are having a party and don't include the Mormons that is illegal.  You can't make your Mormon employees take special classes on not being bigots either.

•  Huh? (0+ / 0-)

Who said anyone is "forced" to do anything?  Your reading comprehension skills need some work.  Why do you make stuff up like that?  Are you interested in civil conversation?

Your "no Mormonism" assumption was (and remains) erroneous no matter how many posts you re-iterate it in.  Try again.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

by Viceroy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:37:58 PM PST

•  What's that? Speak English. n/t (0+ / 0-)

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

by ticket punch on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:42:35 PM PST

•  If they refuse to sell their Marriott shares, (1+ / 0-)
                      bperk

then what?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

by ticket punch on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:43:18 PM PST

•  And this quote. (1+ / 0-)
                      ticket punch

I might even recommend that the corporation buy out all outstanding shares from such senior management to avoid even the appearance of the stain of bigotry

This suggestion is still illegal.

•  No it's not... (0+ / 0-)

Like I said many many posts above, counter-parties (including management) willingly buy and sell shares every day.  Your failure to grasp this rather simple concept is illustrative.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

by Viceroy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:47:49 PM PST

•  What happens when both parties aren't "willing"? (1+ / 0-)
                          bperk

It's a simple question.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

by ticket punch on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:50:57 PM PST

•  A corporation buying (1+ / 0-)
                          ticket punch

the shares of senior managers because they are mormons is a violation of title VII of the Civil Rights Act.  I don't understand how you fail to grasp that.

•  No it's not... (0+ / 0-)

because the buyers and sellers would be willing.  Again, no matter how many times you say it, your "no Mormonism" assumption is just as erroneous as the first time you posted it.

Pretending that I advocated forcing someone against their will to do something is a baldfaced lie.  If you continue to argue with your strawman to the exclusion of what I actually say, you will forever label youself as a baldfaced liar.

Why the continual posts?  Why the refusal to address the substantive points I raised??  You argue in circles and refuse to address anything other than your own wrong assumption-based belief.

Why do your persist in your ignorance?

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

by Viceroy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 02:58:14 PM PST

•  WHO SAYS the managers would be "willing" (0+ / 0-)

to sell their Marriott shares?

What if they're unwilling? What then?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

by ticket punch on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 03:00:37 PM PST

•  Then one of my four suggested (0+ / 0-)

actions by a Marriott corporate lawyer would have failed.  There are several other available options - too bad nobody read them ar made a serious comment about them.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

by Viceroy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 03:06:37 PM PST

•  The lawyer comes to chat. I say no. What then? (0+ / 0-)

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

by ticket punch on Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 03:09:00 PM PST

•  You're absolutely wrong. (1+ / 0-)
                            ticket punch

You don't know what you are talking about and are becoming more strident about your point.  If Mormons are "offered" the opportunity to sell their stock, prepare yourself for a lawsuit.  What does willing even mean when your employer wants you to do something?

As to my "no Mormonism" statement, I have never heard of a company buying stock from their managers and keeping them on.  The whole point of managers having stock is to make them more productive.  I was assuming that buying stock from their employees was akin to firing them, which would be sending a message of no Mormonism.  The situation that you are positing where a company buys back their stock from a particular group, but keeps them on is not one that happens in the real world as far as I have ever heard.