View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: FRIDAY! (116 comments)

•  Cheers and Jeers... (4.00)
    Cheers to Fridays, even cloudy rainy ones.

Cheers to Super Size Me. After watching this film, I resolved to clean up my eating habits (I was drinking almost 60 ounces of Pepsi each day). Its been over two weeks now and I've already lost almost 10lbs.

Cheers to honey crisp apples. These things are fantastic. People at work are under the impression that I've gone nuts because I talk about them so much.

Cheers to being 6'4" after hearing the bit about short people and heart disease. Hey, I need all the help I can get.

Cheers to Cheers and Jeers, the daily mojo-fest that makes all smile.

See ya Wednesday, Bill!

"Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not some farcical aquatic (judicial) ceremony"

by bakin4mymomma on Fri Oct 29, 2004 at 06:58:21 AM PDT

•  It's very weird. (4.00)
      I cut back to one bottle of pop a week (which I'm drinking right now, incidentally), and I also found myself losing a ridiculous amount of weight in a ridiculously short period - about 10 lbs as well, I think.  So, Jeers to needing a belt all the time!

I also hate being a 6' tall woman - I feel like a bit of a freakshow.  But at least I know now that I'm more likely to survive heart attacks.  Cheers to towering over Bill.

•  Soda and water retention (4.00)
        My husband lost half his weight in 2003 when he opted to drink H20 instead of soda. He went from a whopping 600 lbs. to 300 lbs in 6 months. It wasn't all the soda though. He went on a strictly low sodium diet ... no processed food, no fast food restos, no LIGHT or LITE foods (as they contain more sugar and sodium than the regular ones), no margarine (contains oils and lards) only butter in moderation which breaks down naturally in the body. Did you know that processed cheese slices are ONE MOLOCULE away from plastic? Bon appetite!

Pssst ... there are mad men in the White House.

by banjon on Fri Oct 29, 2004 at 08:29:28 AM PDT

•  Stand up straight annac1aire! (4.00)
        I too am a 6 foot tall woman, and I'm no freakshow! So, square your shoulders and ask Bill how the weather is down there.

Besides, you can reach the top shelf.

There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America. - Bill Clinton

by bumblebums on Fri Oct 29, 2004 at 08:34:03 AM PDT

•  Soda has a ridiculous amount of sugar. (4.00)
        Eventually you'll get to the point where you take a sip and say "egads? how did I ever drink this stuff?" They're just overkill.

Find an herbal tea you like instead (Bigelow's Perfect Peach is great, though I've become big fan of Republic of Tea's "Red Tea") -- esp. good in wintertime.

•  Agreed! (4.00)
          Bigelow's teas are great: we like the peach and the raspberry best around here. And sodas taste far too sweet to our re-educated palates now.

I'm not a Democrat. I'm a Deaniac, now and always.

by stellans on Fri Oct 29, 2004 at 10:35:09 AM PDT

•  Green tea (none)
          is good for you.  A healthily caffeinated alternative to coffee!

.... OK, who am I kidding?  I drink more coffee than a thousand Seattle yuppies put together.

... OK, sorry Seattleites, I love you guys...

(removes foot from coffee-smelling mouth)

Nothing requires a greater effort of thought than arguments to justify the rule of nonthought. -- Milan Kundera

by Dale on Fri Oct 29, 2004 at 01:12:08 PM PDT

•  just recently switched (none)
          from soda to tea. After a couple of weeks of no soda, I went back to my usual Coke-guzzling habit for a day and was amazed at how gross I felt. Nauseous, headachy, cranky - plus my mouth tasted like crap. At that point I really realized on a gut level how bad processed sugar is for you :P

I'm pretty fond of Celestial Seasonings "Zinger" teas, although I'm trying to find a good looseleaf herbal tea so I can buy it in bulk. Nice hot tea also has the benefit of helping you tolerate lower temperatures, so you can save on heating :)

•  cheers to being a tall woman! (none)
        I'm nearly six feet myself, and my best friend (female) is 6'1". We used to walk down the street together and joke about stomping all over everyone else on the sidewalk.

I used to feel like a freakshow for being as tall or taller than most men I meet, but I've learned to love it and now I drive my SO crazy by wearing 3-4" heels when we go out and towering over everyone.

And incidentally, I recently cut soda and almost all beer out of my diet, and I've lost five pounds in the last week. I'm hoping for ten more - I've put on entirely too much weight lately. Once I added up all the useless calories I took in from my sugar and alcohol habits, it was a no brainer that something had to give :P

•  Cheers to the supersize me diet! (4.00)
      Supersize me didn't freak me out too much because I pretty much never eat fast food. I have resolved to change that from 'pretty much never' to 'never', though.

Cheers to losing 10lbs!

•  Nice, Job, Bakin'!! (4.00)

I don't think a lot of people realize how much sugar they put in their system every day.  And it's amazing what happens when you cut out all those calories.

I drink about a gallon of tea during the day, and only have about 6oz. of the fizzy stuff to make up my---[Sound of angelic voices singing]---Rum and Coke.

•  The hardest part... (4.00)
        of dropping the Pepsi is the damn caffeine. I tried to quit cold turkey, but within days, I ended up with the worst headaches I have ever had. It was almost as bad as dropping Paxil.

I have discovered that apples water and oatmeal are my friends. No more Wendys (and I love that shit), no more Pepsi, and smaller portions work wonders.

I'm still 15lbs away from my target (200 even). I should probably get up and exercise more often.

by bakin4mymomma on Fri Oct 29, 2004 at 08:46:55 AM PDT