View Diary: Saturday Night Uforia: In the News, 1947 (29 comments)

•  Tips for Saturday Night tales... (12+ / 0-)

...backed by research.

On a more personal note, this particular kind of entry feels especially rewarding -- helping to keep people's stories and opinions alive 60 years on so that the complete record is not lost through neglect.

The fact is that the average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice and truth. - H.L. Mencken

by two roads on Sat Nov 15, 2008 at 07:22:47 PM PST

•  too late for tips, unfortunately (1+ / 0-)
      two roads

I leave, instead, links to some photographs.

140 years of UFO sightings - Part I
      140 years of UFO sightings - Part II
      140 years of UFO sightings - Part III

Some of my favourites are represented, along with a few i don't remember seeing. I'm not sure they al merit scrutiny but it's a great collection. Though, there are a couple of Billy "Pleiadian" Meier's.

I've always especially liked this one. Imagine coming across that in the attic!

"They're telling us something we don't understand"
      General Charles de Gaulle, Mai '68

by subtropolis on Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 09:33:34 PM PST

•  Thanks! (1+ / 0-)
        subtropolis

I have to rush off to take my 85 year-old widowed mother to a scheduled doctor's appointment, so I couldn't spend much time there now, but will go back.

The Sicily 1954 picture is definitely a fake (cover up the alleged discs and you'll note the men aren't really looking in that direction plus the casual postures don't match the alleged event).

Sometime tonight I'll post another reply with a picture I'm pretty sure you haven't seen before. Plus this Saturday's SNU will have one that was new to me.

On a personal note, you are among a handful of regulars who keep me going at this, and your continual encouragement means the world to me.

by two roads on Tue Nov 18, 2008 at 08:41:56 AM PST

•  new pic—goody! (0+ / 0-)

Yes, there are some lame ones in the batch. That Sicily pic has never sat well with me. Also, the Billy Meier pics. I've no idea how he faked those but i don't buy his (quite fanciful, even for this subject) story.

"They're telling us something we don't understand"
          General Charles de Gaulle, Mai '68

by subtropolis on Tue Nov 18, 2008 at 09:23:34 AM PST

•  Here's that pic... (1+ / 0-)
        subtropolis

Found it on one of the 'nazis invented ufos' websites. Allegedly given to Hynek by someone who said it was taken at end of WWII in Czechoslovakia.

by two roads on Tue Nov 18, 2008 at 07:12:35 PM PST

•  intriguing (1+ / 0-)
          two roads

Nice photo. I don't think i've ever seen it.

It'd be really great to be able to put online hi-res scans of so many of these photographs that are sitting in hundreds of people's files around the world. I'm thinking, mainly, about those authors/researchers (yourself, possibly) who hold the original negatives or prints of some of the most notable photographs. Most of the images we see online are of very poor quality. I'd love to see a web directory of modern reproductions of these archived photos. The researchers/members of the site would supply new, "print-quality" scans and basically open-source them. Being that they would be published by the source—the bearer of the original—the  images could be presented along with up-to-date information about the events depicted in, as well as the provenance of, the photo. ie. the straight dope.

This just popped into my head. I know there are other archives online but none which, to my knowledge, has really high resolution images. What do you think?

"They're telling us something we don't understand"
          General Charles de Gaulle, Mai '68

by subtropolis on Tue Nov 18, 2008 at 09:47:52 PM PST

•  A couple of thoughts on this. (1+ / 0-)
            subtropolis

Great idea, but sadly I highly doubt that there are many (if any) holders of the original negatives of the famous photos, outside of the possibility of local newspaper archives or archives of national magazines.

One of the big problems here: in the early decades the government would often 'borrow' the negatives of good pictures for analysis and then not return them.

And the problems with photos overall, outside of the early decades, is photoshop. Too easy to fake nowdays.

The real hope now lies in video, IMO. And your idea for such a site would be great for that.

Unfortunately there is a problem with this as well: zooming in on a light, particularly at night. The resolution of home video/dvd recorders when zooming on a light in the sky tends to diffuse, rather than sharpen an image -- especially when combined with the jiggling/bouncing of a hand-held cam.

Professional video cameras are much better at this, I believe. I have other thoughts on this, but right now I am so tired that I don't have the energy.

Maybe later?

by two roads on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 06:10:44 PM PST

•  perhaps a good topic for a later diary (1+ / 0-)
              two roads

… the problems with documenting these phenomena. Video is great and the huge increase in the number of cameras walking around may be a boon to this investigation. But, so few people bother to walk around with decent camcorders anymore. We're deluged with fuzzy, shakey blobs. In a way, the profusion of cameras in the last few years echoes the internet's influence on the overwhelming UFO chaff that we're faced with now. Everyone can put their haphazard portrait of Venus on YouTube.

But i'm not pessimistic. Crappy imagery we may get but we might also get more of what the photo evidence sorely lacks: multiple vantage point views.

"They're telling us something we don't understand"
              General Charles de Gaulle, Mai '68