View Diary: Knee-Jerk reactions to Home Depot founder's statement (92 comments)

•  Why Shop at Lowes? (2+ / 0-)
    lgmcp, Abra Crabcakeya

Give me a good reason, other than "Home Depot sucks ass".

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 10:49:41 AM PST

•  I have one of each very near me, and in my (4+ / 0-)
      yellowdog, otto, bigred39, Abra Crabcakeya

experience, the Lowe's has a higher ratio of floor staff to customers.  That, I like.

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 10:51:07 AM PST

•  That's a good reason (4+ / 0-)
        Ahianne, Jibbly, lgmcp, wondering if

The people at Home Depot seem alright to me.

I try to shop at the small hardware stores that are in my neighborhood.

Also, I made a huge purchase a while back from the hardware store that advertises on the local progressive talk radio station.

I called them and let them know exactly why I was buying from them and not Home Depot.

•  I don't have any small hardware stores anymore (4+ / 0-)
          Ahianne, otto, la motocycliste, Jibbly

sadly, though I still cherish a battered baseball cap from the one that closed about 20 years ago.  The local feed store carries a fair amount of hardware, though, and I almost always buy from them first if they have it.

An old friend calls this "shopping for diversity".  Her argument is, that just as monocropping is a menace to agriculture, that mono-retailers are a menace to community health.  So we agree to pay a little extra to support the business owned by our neighbors.

by lgmcp on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 10:56:11 AM PST

•  I cherish my local hardware store... (3+ / 0-)
            lgmcp, Reel Woman, Abra Crabcakeya

They work hard, they never fail to ask if I need help. They always know how to fix whatever dohickey has broken at my house (and, yes, they'll decode dohickey into hardware terms for you!)

All that is required for evil to flourish is for good people to stand by and do nothing.

by davewill on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 11:00:06 AM PST

•  That seems to be. Until i quit shopping there , (1+ / 0-)
        lgmcp

the exrtra staff seemed to be occupied following me to prevent the thefts I must have been planning and telegraphing to them somehow. It was absurd , and talking to the manager did no good.Haven't gone back , don't plan to.

•  Golly. Are you by any chance (1+ / 0-)
          Abra Crabcakeya

a person of color?  I'm a boring middle-aged white lady and so of course they NEVER look at me askance.  Although I have been distinctly larcenous in my day, and am only 998% reformed.

by lgmcp on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 10:57:44 AM PST

•  I am somewhat of color , with ancestry (1+ / 0-)
            lgmcp

of 5/8 Cherokee. Totally Cherokee in life. I always try to leave firewater and my favorite Winchester at home when out shopping , but sometimes this is irresistible. Lowes , ya know , is based in north Carolina , and in a hicktown in the western area. The managers must be taught how to spot thieving savages . I'm mostly joking , but partly not.Though my racial makeup is somewhat ambigious by my appeasrance , it seems like I have always been the customer who looks immediately reassuring enough at most places , so that the convenience store minder counts down the drawer when I come in , even a stranger asks me to tell customers to please wait a second because the employee has gone  for a bathroom break, etc. The notable execptions have been Lowes and ritzy department stores which I haven't entered in over in over 20 years. In that time I've only gone in malls to accompany our daughter for back to school clothes.J.C. Penney  etc., which type place we have been treated just fine.

•  I am the son of one of the founders of Lowe's (2+ / 0-)
              lgmcp, Abra Crabcakeya

and can tell you that Lowe's never had any intention of "following" you around because they thought you were going to steal.

Following around a customer who shows no signs of shoplifting is a waste of resources and reflects poorly upon store policy, pisses off the customer and as far as I can remember has never been a Lowe's policy, unless there is clear evidence that the person has stolen, or appears to be planning to steal.

I do know what you are talking about when it comes to you being NA and the looks people give you (I would look at you as being a friend, I like Indians, and am part Seminole myself).  Western North Carolina is highly tolerant towards NA's compared to most areas, but not so towards AA's.  I would believe you more if you said you were black.

And you are right about the hicks.  I got out of Asheville as soon as I got to college and have never looked back.

Lowe's was a much better place before they went public, but like most businesses that do go public and grow out of that homely service that comes with a smaller business, Lowe's tried to contain it for a long time by staying regional.  That did not last as the original founders split up, began moving stocks and eventually went public.

I do not shop Lowe's because of my family's past involvement, but because they offer better merchandise at a competitive price without the hassles.  Home Depot rarely has the hardware I need despite their huge store.  And there is never a sales person, or anyone with any knowledge on the floor.  I once asked a Home Depot employee where the pneumatic tools were and his reply was, "We don't sell toy tools, only professional ones.". Really?

Finally, I agree with this diarist. What the founders have to say now has nothing to do with the store.  Much like Lowe's (which I am not sure just how much the other guys involved or their families still have), these guys are no longer involved in the store.  Their words do not represent the opinions of those who are involved, and like any other citizen they enjoy freedom of speech.

Don,t make a knee-jerk connection when there is none.

And good luck to you Abra Crabcakeya back in WNC!

Howlin' at the World from the Left Side of the Planet

by WolfmanSpike on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 01:11:59 PM PST

•  I hate the home depot near me (2+ / 0-)
      Reel Woman, Blackmamba1973

I used to be a HD shopper- but then we got a lowes. Far superior customer service, nicer, cleaner stores, better product for my taste, and their clearance prices can NOT be beat!

Last time I got paint at a Home Depot it took them over an hour to get it right- now come on. I have never had that problem at my Lowes.

•  nicer quality of merchandise (1+ / 0-)
      bigred39