View Diary: Hand over that Weather Bell, Missouri! (217 comments)

•  Just for the record (5+ / 0-)

Nader most likely cost the Dems the state. Gawd how aweful would it have been if the election came down to MO. If Nader had been spoiler again I think my head would have exploded.

Thankfully that gets to remain a bizarro world outcome. But if you accept the multiple dimensions based on every outcome then somewhere I am screaming at a wall.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon

by Windowdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 02:34:25 PM PST

•  I live in Missouri (3+ / 0-)
      Windowdog, wishingwell, AnnCetera

and my bet is that if the people who voted for Nader hadn't voted for Nader they would NOT have voted for Obama either.

Follow Missouri election news at ShowMeProgress

by maryb2004 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 02:38:29 PM PST

•  With all the 50-50 elections (2+ / 0-)
        wishingwell, AnnCetera

PTA meetings must be a dream.

by Windowdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 02:39:31 PM PST

•  Well, the St. Louis School Board (0+ / 0-)

is in litigation ...

But seriously the thing about Missouri is that a large percentages of the counties are solidly republican and a few of the larger populated counties are blue or a bluish purple.  So within counties, elections aren't usually close.

Follow Missouri election news at ShowMeProgress

by maryb2004 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 02:46:16 PM PST

•  You are right (0+ / 0-)

I have relatives in MO that I know voted for Nader for that reason.

Although some of it was "will not vote for a Democrat" rather than "will not vote for a black guy".

"If you can't afford a boat, and are standing tiptoe in the water, the rising tide goes up your nose." -- Barney Frank

by JanF on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 02:44:22 PM PST

•  I disagree (0+ / 0-)

The Nader argument is that Obama won't push single payer, but he will move in that direction.

Nader cost Obama winning Missouri!

Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren. Bertolt Brecht

by MoDem on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 03:24:27 PM PST

•  Nader got 17,000 Missouri votes. (1+ / 0-)
      joynow

McCain has won (is winning) by about 3,900 votes.

•  Well Barr also got 11k (0+ / 0-)

So in bizarro world A in which I am currently screaming at a wall, I'll assume the majority of Barr voters go McCain as well. So the Nader effect isn't quite so large are 13k.

All hypothetical blather, but still that man makes me grind my teeth.

by Windowdog on Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 06:11:27 PM PST

• Education (21)
  • Freddie Gray (20)
  • Media (19)
  • Racism (18)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Health Care (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site