View Diary: Glaciers on Mars (63 comments)

•  If Mars once had sustainable life; and (4+ / 0-)

If that life was based on organic chemistry as we understand it (whether or not DNA based); and

If that life reached a Gaia stage (engulfing the entire planet, as has happened on Earth); then

Not only are there buried water glaciers but there is probably buried oil and coal deposits as well.

Heh!

Health care crisis in a nutshell: Too much is expended on "managing" & too little on "caregiving"

by Bill White on Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 11:00:14 AM PST

•  Oh, and if the above is true (3+ / 0-)
      get the red out, mrchumchum, aztronut

the Marsian fossil record will be staggeringly large and shall keep zillions of exo-palaeontologists busy for centuries to come.

by Bill White on Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 11:10:47 AM PST

•  Not to mention millions of biblical scholars (3+ / 0-)
        Bill White, angrytoyrobot, aztronut

who will have to decide if those creatures were on the Ark or not.

•  My predictions regarding "life on Mars" (1+ / 0-)
          mrchumchum

Coming from the cheap seats and premised on my college degree in American History (hey you get what you pay for, here) we will either discover:

(a) Mars is and always was sterile but with tantalizing precursors for life;

(Sad but if forced to pick, my first guess)

OR

(b) Mars was once overflowing with life (as is Earth, today) but billions of years ago something happened to cause that Gaia state to go extinct. If there are living microbes on Mars today, they are the hardy survivors of an ancient now vanished Gaia state.

If (b), then the fossil record shall be incomprehensibly abundant. Given the inherent power of life to grow exponentially, if life gets even a tiny toehold somewhere it shall proliferate wildly thereafter.

All IMHO of course.

by Bill White on Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 11:28:30 AM PST

•  I Think It's Just Too Small to Retain Enough Air (3+ / 0-)
            Bill White, mrchumchum, aztronut

Even the earth is eventually going to boil away all its hydrogen as I understand things, but I think billion(s) of years in the future.

I vote for always-sterile too.

by Gooserock on Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 11:33:51 AM PST

•  I thought the main problem was that it lacked (2+ / 0-)
              Bill White, aztronut

a strong enough magnetic field.  Also that at one time in it's past it had a more active core (or some such thing) and had a much stronger field.  If earth lost its magnetic field, our atmosphere would disappear relatively quickly by solar wind.

That said, I'm no scientist.  Though I have dressed as one for Halloween.

•  Uhhhmm I Think a Lot of Other Conditions Were (2+ / 0-)
      Bill White, aztronut

necessary for the carbon age. Plate tectonics, lots and lots of co2, other stuff, maybe including the big moon.

by Gooserock on Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 11:31:39 AM PST

•  Yep, and that is why I write "if" several times (1+ / 0-)
        aztronut

That said, the "Oil Derricks of Barsoom" would be a nifty title for a novel written as future history

by Bill White on Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 12:19:34 PM PST

•  Thanks for the reference... (0+ / 0-)

to Edgar Rice Burroughs and John Carter of Mars.

I consider myself an Agnostic because the only thing I believe in less than God is certainty.

by aztronut on Fri Nov 21, 2008 at 12:53:36 PM PST