View Diary: Interrogator who Located Zarqawi Rips U.S. Torture Policy (224 comments)

•  Why did the DOD delay publication (2+ / 0-)
    cotterperson, joanneleon

of his book if what he says is not true?

No offense but why is what you claim any more credible than what he claims in his book? How do you know what he says isn't true?

•  His implication is that an interrogation led.... (1+ / 0-)
      Matthias

directly to the bombing of the building.  It's a lie.  All I'm willing to say is that we were "following" a number of individuals that we thought might eventually lead to AMZ.  Following them over days, and weeks.

One of them eventually led us directly to him.  The call then went out to bomb the building.  End of Zarqawi.

I wrote a few comments above, in a more generic sense, how battlefield interrogations lead to follow-on targeting.  Booth interrogations, in my experience, never lead to direct locational information on individuals.  It might lead to contacts, it might lead to historic locational data, it might lead to money or comms or vehicles used.  But locational data is too perishable to be obtained in the booth.

And I sympathize with you in the difficulty in deciding who to believe.  Much of the info on the capture of AMZ is not only classified, but it is in special access programs.

To avoid starting dumb wars, punish the dumb people who vote for them.

by joesig on Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 06:15:11 AM PST

•  He said he developed a team (2+ / 0-)
        cotterperson, ibonewits

Do you think he was dishonest when he wrote:

I refused to participate in such practices, and a month later, I extended that prohibition to the team of interrogators I was assigned to lead. I taught the members of my unit a new methodology -- one based on building rapport with suspects, showing cultural understanding and using good old-fashioned brainpower to tease out information. I personally conducted more than 300 interrogations, and I supervised more than 1,000. The methods my team used are not classified (they're listed in the unclassified Field Manual), but the way we used them was, I like to think, unique. We got to know our enemies, we learned to negotiate with them, and we adapted criminal investigative techniques to our work (something that the Field Manual permits, under the concept of "ruses and trickery"). It worked. Our efforts started a chain of successes that ultimately led to Zarqawi.

?

It seems to me he is taking credit for being a team leader that had a successful approach. He is not claiming his personal interrogations led to Z's killing.

"It's the planet, stupid."

by FishOutofWater on Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 07:09:00 AM PST

•  Brandon's title: Interrogator who located Zarqawi (1+ / 0-)
          luvmovies2000

The fraud wrote:

My team of interrogators had successfully hunted down one of the most notorious mass murderers of our generation, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq and the mastermind of the campaign of suicide bombings that had helped plunge Iraq into civil war. But instead of celebrating our success....

He also wrote:

We convinced one of Zarqawi's associates to give up the al-Qaeda in Iraq leader's location...

Also a lie.

As for your question, and related paragraph: yes, I think he was being dishonest.
          By mid-2006, when he showed up for his five month stint, the interrogation pendulum had swung way back over to the cautious side.  This was post abu G, post- publicity, and post-threats of prosecution for abuse.  He is taking credit for things that had already happened, completely without his input.  I guarantee he is not citing individuals he worked with as having committed abuse during the time he was there. If he was there... that part is not entirely clear to me.

He's a fraud, at minimum a huge self-aggrandiser, and Brandon does not have enough high level military experience to have recognized it.  He was a conventional guy, not involved in JSOC efforts.  The connection of their agent in common really makes this thing suck.  He should have asked someone who actually knows what the fuck they're talking about before he posted this garbage.

To avoid starting dumb wars, punish the dumb people who vote for them.

by joesig on Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 08:32:21 AM PST

•  How, exactly? (3+ / 0-)
            lotlizard, FishOutofWater, saildude

Does Brandon know that there are people here at Kos with accurate knowledge of the situation?

Does he know that he can trust you more than "Alexander"?

Do we know that we can trust you more than "Alexander"?

Unfortunately, all either you or "Alexander" have to offer is assertions of truthfulness. That's the nature of military and intelligence secrecy.

Won't it be nice to have a SMART President?

by ibonewits on Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 09:13:27 AM PST

•  Excellent question. And here's your answer: (0+ / 0-)

I think it's telling that Brandon has not taken part in this thread.  But maybe he's been away all day, like I've been.  He can comment here at any time, and he can, at any time, ask for my credentials and ask me to prove them.   I would be happy to do that, offline, for him.  Then he can maybe write a brief diary, either exposing me, or this Alexander guy as a fraud.  I think that's fair.

To avoid starting dumb wars, punish the dumb people who vote for them.

by joesig on Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 04:37:19 PM PST

•  How about you just tell us how it went down? (0+ / 0-)

If you know the whole story tell us without disclosing classified info. I mean I'm sure it took more than one piece to put the puzzle together.

Just blurting out that it is a bullshit diary without backing it up somehow makes it hard to follow your reasoning.

•  Read the entire thread. I commented more below. (0+ / 0-)

Read the Atlantic article... it's mostly accurate, as far as it goes.  Here's what I can tell you:
                  What turned out to be the key lead, from an interrogation, was the name of the spiritual advisor who met with AMZ.  There was no locational data.

There were a number of names, and a number of promising leads.  All were followed to the extent possible, and it involved an enormous amount of "assets".

And I like the juxtaposition of "the whole story" and "without disclosing classified information."

Again, as I offered to Brandon below, I'll happily figure out ways we can communicate in greater detail.  All he has to do is denounce this fraud, or me, when I'm done.

To avoid starting dumb wars, punish the dumb people who vote for them.

by joesig on Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 05:40:26 PM PST

•  Thanks for giving a clear answer (1+ / 0-)
            joesig

I hope we can agree that torture produces untrustworthy results.

"It's the planet, stupid."

by FishOutofWater on Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 03:41:22 PM PST

•  We do. As an example, the governor of VA is... (0+ / 0-)

currently being asked to pardon 4 Navy guys convicted of rape years ago, and serving ever since.  They had the screws put to them by the police and "confessed" to make it stop.   The guilty guy has since actually confessed, the DNA evidence on scene only matches him.... and still the convictions stand... because of the "confessions".

Apply enough pain and anyone will say anything to make it stop.  It's just that simple.

And I've spent enough time overseas, in hinky situations, to selfishly hope that my country is on the right side on this issue.

To avoid starting dumb wars, punish the dumb people who vote for them.

by joesig on Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 04:43:34 PM PST