View Diary: Just Finished All My Calls for Martin in 23 Minutes (Update 3x) (149 comments)

•  DNC, Obama, DKOS seem to be conceding GA seat. (1+ / 0-)
    ThirstyGator

No Obama rallies with Martin in GA.

Don't see what Obama has to lose. Shamless Chambliss is favored in Red State so if Obama campaigns and Martin loses, no loss. If Martin wins, Obama wins.

•  this is just my opinion ... (2+ / 0-)
      Greg in TN, cjallen

but I think this is Obama not "breaking the back" of the GOP.  Offering an olive branch, if you will.  I think that's the wrong strategy, as the GOP doesn't work that way, but I think that IS the strategy here.

I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper. - President Elect Barack Obama

by ThirstyGator on Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 10:27:06 AM PST

•  What? Obama did a call for Martin already (8+ / 0-)

What more do you want?  It's not good politics to have Obama campaigning against a currently-seated Senator who is heading up the National Republican Senate Committee.

But Kos ought to be doing more.

Why he's not is beyond explanation.

Justice, mercy, tolerance, hope, love, grace, and redemption are all Judeo-Christian values.

by Benintn on Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 10:30:04 AM PST

•  what more do I want? (1+ / 0-)
          cjallen

Pretty clear, really.  I want him on the stump in Georgia.

by ThirstyGator on Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 10:54:32 AM PST

•  At least a commercial. (3+ / 0-)
            ThirstyGator, Julie Gulden, maryru

He could have made a commercial asking his voters to return to the polls to get Martin into office to help get his agenda passed. Could have filmed it anywhere.

Signature Impaired.

by gttim on Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 11:14:11 AM PST

•  Obama has done his part. Let's do ours. (6+ / 0-)

I have heard in the media that if Obama were to go to Georgia and Chambliss wins, then it would appear to be a repudiation of the "Obama mandate."  The media would love to view this election as the first election of 2010 and not the final election of 2008.  Then they could blather on and on with no research and no basis in fact as is their SOP about what this election meant and turn in into a non stop 24/7 examination of their created new story line...does America have buyer's remorse?  Is this just more evidence we are truly a center right nation?

In their need to compete with Dancing With The Stars for advertising dollars, the media needs its damned lowest denominator storyline. Forget that we're talking about Georgia, where Chambliss can run openly by rallying his white followers by reminding them that "they" are turning out the voters and we're not. The media would spin it like a complete repudiation of Obama, if he were to go to Georgia and Martin loses.

Obama has left his offices open in Georgia, he has sent in his best and brightest field operators, and he has cut a radio ad for Martin.

It is up to us to do what needs to be done now and that is GOTV.

Come on people.  10 calls, 20 minutes.  It has been proven a person is 30 percent more likely to vote, if they receive a call the day before the election.

•  The difference in Georgia is going to be (3+ / 0-)
              Burned, maryru, OleMiss

AA turnout.

Obama should be on the ground today and tomorrow, for the simple reason that there are probably about 100,000 black people in GA who don't know or care a damned thing about Saxby Chambliss or Jim Martin, but if the local news carried a 30-second piece tonight showing Obama doing direct GOTV for Martin, those 100,000 black people would stand up and pay attention.

Obama could do in 6 hours what will take about 6000 hours of volunteers making phone calls to accomplish.

At some point, there has to be a limit to this whole, "He's playing it cool, he's not stepping on toes," story. The Republicans are going to fight him tooth and fucking nail, just like they fought Bill Clinton. The fewer their teeth and the blunter their nails, the better.

I am further of the opinion that the President must be impeached and removed from office!

by UntimelyRippd on Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 01:25:33 PM PST

•  I agree and love you for saying it so well. (1+ / 0-)
                moondance

The last paragraph in particular.

•  Obama is kind of busy right now. (1+ / 0-)
                PoliticalJunkessa

Y'know, putting together an administration in a hurry, and stuff like that.

Between assembling a national foreign policy team and stumping for a sure loser in Georgia, I think he has his priorities straight.

Anyway, he can't do it all himself and has never claimed he could.

"Lies return." - African proverb

by Night Train on Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 06:13:23 PM PST

•  Market value of a Senate seat is somewhere (1+ / 0-)
                  jayskew

between 5 and 50 million dollars. But that value is determined as much by the limited abilities of people to donate and politicians to usefully spend campaign money.

The real value is simply incalculable. The wrong vote on the wrong bill might be worth 10s of billions. If Martin loses, then at some point President Obama is going to be forced to give away a lot to somebody -- probably not Chambliss, mind you, but nonetheless someone I'm sure I would prefer he didn't find himself bargaining with when the chips are down -- in order to get just one more fucking vote. A vote that would have been in his pocket had Martin won.

The idea that the President (or President-elect) has more important things to be doing than attending to his own party's Congressional margins is exactly what made Clinton's administration an abject political failure.

by UntimelyRippd on Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 06:50:31 PM PST

•  But Martin is going to lose. n/t (0+ / 0-)

"Lies return." - African proverb

by Night Train on Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 07:53:00 PM PST

•  Obama's team is working on it... (0+ / 0-)

and we're being organized effectively. I don't want to say to much since I know Obama doesn't want to show too much influence, but his network is active and working on it. I've been making calls for the Martin campaign - and from my talks with Georgians - it sounds like they've been getting LOTS and LOTS of calls. So the network of grassroots volunteers is still active. So it is Obama's team, even though he's not directly and blatantly working on it...but that doesn't mean we can stop yet. WE MUST KEEP CALLING and reminding people to GET OUT THE VOTE!

Sign-up to Volunteer for Senator Obama. Click here: http://action.barackobama.com/page/s/newvolunteernv

by Blue Liberty on Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 09:08:49 PM PST

•  Obama did nothing in GA (0+ / 0-)

For Martin to win, Obama would have had to do four or five big rallies and tell GA Democrats, particularly African American voters, and told them that they had to turnout for Obama.

Short of that kind of effort, Martin is likely to lose.