View Diary: GA-Sen: The GOP is back, baby! (Or something) (230 comments)

•  Like, duh. (4+ / 0-)
      LordMike, boofdah, raincrow, Jack Williams

Former penal colony and all that. /snark

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
      I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
      -Spike Milligan

by polecat on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 10:37:12 AM PST

•  Blame The Party..It's A Leadrership Deficit (3+ / 0-)
        Odysseus, polecat, jbeach

The state Democratic Party basically didn't bother to run a full slate of candidates in this cycle. They in effect conceded before the election ever took place.

As a result, they failed to be in position to capitalize on and take advantage of the Obama turnout.

Georgia is over 40% minority, there is no reason other than poor execution by the state party as to why the state isn't at least purple. I don't know if it's a case of learned helplessness, or laziness, or incompetence, but Georgia, and Texas too, suffer as a result of the ineffectiveness of their state apparatuses.

If you have people who don't believe they can win making the decisions then it doesn't matter much who the Republicans run. Georgia(and Texas too) is a blue state waiting to be cultivated. The Dems just don't have the right leadership in place yet.

"Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."

by sebastianguy99 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 11:46:17 AM PST

•  Paging Dr. Dean... (2+ / 0-)
          jbeach, Leftside Defender

we have a cleanup on aisle 4 for you...

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
          I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
          -Spike Milligan

by polecat on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 11:49:05 AM PST

•  I think in this case it was a candidate issue . . (2+ / 0-)
          jbeach, gwriter

Jim Martin is a very smart, decent, and respectful guy.  He has the kind of intellect and temperament that would make for a fantastic legislator.

Unfortunately, many of these same characteristics were weaknesses when it came to running in a tough campaign state like Georgia.

Chambliss pushed to define Martin as an agent of Obama and the Democrats and Martin lacked the star appeal and magnetism to take the stage back and define himself.

Chambliss also painted Martin as weak and vacillating and Martin played into this by essentially waiting for the Obama field organizers to run his campaign.

For whatever reason, Martin never really broke through and defined himself to Georgians, and honestly that goes for the general as well as the run-off.  To be perfectly honest, this was not a race that would have gone to a run-off without Obama on the ticket, so its not surprising that we lost the run-off when Obama was off the ticket.

The fact that a run-off occurred is more a testament to Obama's strength in the general than any weakness shown by Martin's loss in the run-off.

If you don't stop lying about me, I'm going to have to start telling the truth about you. Barack Obama

by dbratl on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 12:03:10 PM PST

•  I live in GA, and I agree (14+ / 0-)

Obama did very well in GA, much better than Kerry or Gore. But McCain still won the state, and it's very conservative.

•  I mean, it's as if the GOP existing anywhere (12+ / 0-)

shocks people.  McCain won 45% of the country - there are a lot of Republicans out there.

Strategy '08: Obama vs. the other guy

by dansac on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 10:43:10 AM PST

•  It's the perfect storm (11+ / 0-)

Racist rednecks, hardcore religious fundamentalists, and gun nuts.  I realize these categories overlap, but it's hard for reasoned intelligence to make a dent in this unholy trinity.  I've been trying all my life and haven't met with much success.

•  as a "gun nut" I must say that I resent being (3+ / 0-)
            buckhorn okie, Jaleh, jayskew

lumped in with the racists and fundies.

This gun nut voted Democrat......

A PBS mind in a Fox News World | -1.75/-4.00

by Crookshanks on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 11:30:46 AM PST

•  Don't forget . . . (5+ / 0-)

To add an apathetic African-American population that failed to show up.  I mean hey, you can't be angry at  their base for going to the polls, that's what base voters are supposed to do.  The real question is where were our base voters?

This wasn't just a repudiation of Democrats by a bunch of Red Neck whack jobs, it was also a strong indicator that the grassroots networks of voters built by Obama are not simply transferable to anyone who puts a D next to his name and schedules rallies with Ludicris.

Yes, we were expected to lose this race and in the best of circumstances we still probably would have lost.  Still, the total failure of our base to show up should serve as a warning and a lesson to instruct our 2010 efforts.

by dbratl on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 12:11:27 PM PST

•  agreed (2+ / 0-)
              dbratl, jayskew

Exactly. The government has been to the right of the adult population on most issues for a long time, largely because of poor turnout from various more left segments. So when people say "not to worry, we just had poor turnout, boring candidate...."  they're missing the point. A strong movement should be able to turn people out without special glitz and excitement, just because they want something like, you know, maybe a job and health care.
              We thought we had the organization to do that, but it's not there yet.
              I'm not saying that the loss itself is shocking, but the magnitude of the gap shows we have big problems to solve.

•  Our at least issues to be aware of . . . (0+ / 0-)

but the magnitude of the gap shows we have big problems to solve.

. . . ultimately we're still the party with the Presidency, an 80 seat House majority, and an 8 and maybe 9 seat majority in the house.

We have big problems in winning in the South, but they have big problems winning everywhere else.  I don't think we should get cocky and I'd like to be competitive in the South, but I sure like our hand a whole lot better than theirs.

by dbratl on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 12:29:53 PM PST

•  Another 3% or so (0+ / 0-)

found him too liberal and voted for Bob Barr.

•  GA did give us... (4+ / 0-)

Jimmy Carter in 76...and they did vote for Bill Clinton in 92...so what this tells us is that GA has been moving right and will continue to do so!

•  It may have ceased (0+ / 0-)

Yes, Saxby Chambliss won by 14% (maybe less, we'll have to wait for the final numbers) but he's an incumbent and keep in mind, for an open seat in 2004, Johnny Isakson won by over 18%.  But Georgia is a Republican state.  Obama did much better than average but he received a record black turnout and was running with extremely favorable circumstances.

•  Yes while Atlanta and some of the suburbs are (2+ / 0-)
        jj32, malibu1964

quite blue , the rest of the state is deep red.

•  Sadly . . . (0+ / 0-)

He did far better among non-whites.  He actually did worse among whites than Kerry did.  There is no objective explanation for that other than racial bias.

I like John Kerry a lot, but head to head against Obama?  There is no comparison.

The reality is that Georgia is not the type of state where you are going to elect a Democrat on someone's coattails.

Can a Democrat be elected statewide?  I believe so, but he or she is going to have to build their own base and movement and tailor their messages to a Georgia audience.

I respect Jim Martin a great deal and thank him for his service, but its a long, long stretch to argue that his candidacy had any grassroots support.

Ultimately, he was the guy chosen by the DNC as the person with the best shot to make it competitive.  That he did.  Good for him.  But we're going to need something home grown to actually win in the state.

by dbratl on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 12:07:31 PM PST

•  Kerry was a war vet (0+ / 0-)

running in the Home of the Infantry.

•  Obama got same % GA white vote as Kerry (0+ / 0-)

Obama did far better among non-whites because Campaign for Change worked real hard to turn out non-whites in GA. Did you miss all the diaries by me and others about this?

Can a Democrat be elected statewide?

Give me a break! The current GA governor is the first Republican to hold that office since 1872:

And have you forgotten who was Senator before Saxby? Max Cleland!

Really, people, if you're going to bash Georgia, at least don't make up fake data.

"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." --Hypatia of Alexandria, c.400

by jayskew on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 06:39:00 PM PST

•  Tell me something I didn't know! (3+ / 0-)

What's wrong with Georgia?  Apparently Georgians haven't suffered enough, yet, from the "trickle-up" supply-the-rich economic policy of the "Greedy Old Party".  They can hardly wait for now beginning to happen "Bush Depression".  Duhhhhbh!!!

•  I agree (1+ / 0-)
      jayskew

There was a best a 20-30% chance of us taking that one per 538.com.

now we need to figure out how to apply maximum pressure on a half dozen vulnerable/moderate republicans when there is a threat of filibuster.

I would also like to see consequences for those folks when they do join a successful filibuster.  Let's govern like we are the party in ascendancy and they are the party that has lost 13+ senate seats, 55+ house seats, and the presidency in the past 2 years.

"80% of Republicans want Palin to lead the Republican Party and 100% of Democrats want her to lead the Republican Party." Bill Maher

by Dave from Oregon on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 11:02:22 AM PST

•  I like the GOP spin (3+ / 0-)
        Odysseus, buckhorn okie, jayskew

If I hear the GOP spin right, the Chambliss victory shows that the GOP is right on track to taking control of the 2010 elections.  In December elections to the US Senate, they are 1-0 and rockin' and rollin'.

There is a debate going on in the GOP right now.  One side says, "we got our asses kicked in 2006 and 2008.  If we have any desire to play a role in government again, we have to substantially change."

The other side says, "Except for the financial meltdown McCain would have won and we would have done much better in the Congressional races.  If the Mumbai attacks had occured one month earlier, we would have taken the Senate also.  The last thing we should do right now is change."

I want the second side to win the debate because it moves the GOP off into the sunset much more quickly.  Their Chambliss meme fits in quite well.

•  It was Obama's fault (0+ / 0-)

(Obama couldn't be bothered to lend too much of a hand), and there was little reason for his supporters to put in a similar effort. It may have been smart politics for Obama, since it's hard to see how he could've helped close that much of a gap anyhow, but the example is set at the top. If Obama acts like a race isn't worth his time, then neither will his supporters.

It is a shame the all-powerful netroots who single-handedly boosted Obama into office had no effect in Georgia.  ;)

•  That may be true as far as trueness (0+ / 0-)

is concerned, but let's not forget the Sara Palin campaigned for that Maverick Saxby and dash burnett I think she helped seal the deal for him, you betcha.

•  i.e. a penal colon-y (0+ / 0-)

And the GOP's heads are inserted deeply in it.

"Think. It ain't illegal yet." - George Clinton

by jbeach on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 12:07:02 PM PST

•  "still a Red state." GA is communist? (0+ / 0-)

Dang! We've made more progress than I thought.

by jayskew on Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 06:30:08 PM PST