View Diary: URGENT: NYC Tonight—Stop Cop Move Against Student Protest! UPDATED!! (67 comments)

•  This is kind of silly... (1+ / 0-)
    Sharon Jumper

There is another diary about some stupid communique the student sent or something.  I really hope they get their activities back next semester, but I got more important things to worry about at the moment.

Who needs political enemies, when you have concerned friends?

by HGM MA on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:23:57 PM PST

•  They may be worrying about more important things, (3+ / 0-)

as well.

If all they know is that the activities funding is entirely gone, and that no other information is available, then who knows what else might end up being cut?

If such had happened while I was an undergrad at my school, I would have been highly concerned. I probably wouldn't have helped block off part or all of a building, but I certainly would have wanted to know if anything else about the situation might affect me.

Incomplete list of McNames in profile. Personal favorites include McSogynist, McNopoly, and McThuselah, and McCambrian.

by Cassandra Waites on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:33:03 PM PST

•  My 8 year old is upset they took away her music (0+ / 0-)

class, maybe I should go occupy her elementary school?

Who needs political enemies, when you have concerned friends?

by HGM MA on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:41:07 PM PST

•  Maybe you should (2+ / 0-)
          reddbierd, michiganlefty

put her up for adoption before you fuck up her life even more than you have already.

Founder and CFO, The Giddiyap Society.

by Trotsky the Horse on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:45:47 PM PST

•  College students aren't always just students. (2+ / 0-)
          Pd, lao hong han

I worked on campus a few hours a week at minimum wage or nearly so for my last two years as an undergrad. I had friends who were dependent on work-study. If I had heard activities funding had been cut to nothing, I'd have been worried we'd be all be cut to legal minimum wage, have hours cut, or have the jobs cut entirely, because some of us including me were doing things that wouldn't have been immediately missed by most students.

And college activities can sometimes be experience springboards into careers. It's where people get leadership experience heading a student organization. Perhaps keeping a student organization afloat on nothing but club dues for a semester might look good on a Treasurer's future resume, but plans may have already been made based on having those funds available.

I wouldn't have occupied, but I might have been chanting up at the President's Office from a rather conveniently located public sidewalk nearby.

by Cassandra Waites on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:50:22 PM PST

•  And I'd have been worried for my scholarship. (1+ / 0-)
            lao hong han

I had some that weren't bound to the institution, but the big one was from the university itself.

I'd have been worried about every single course I'd taken and whether it would transfer, and what places I could possibly go to that would be affordable for me not entering as part of the Freshman flood of scholarship queries, and whether I'd finish in time for the stuff bound to credit attempted, credit completed, or time attended ran out.

And most of my friends would have been in the same state of worry.

by Cassandra Waites on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 04:02:38 PM PST

•  Well... (2+ / 0-)
          Pesto, lao hong han

It might be better than just sitting around and doing nothing. If you don't do anything, she'll never get her music class back.

•  Geez, what I meant by that comment is that (2+ / 0-)
            Pd, lao hong han

I do pleanty.  I go to the town budget meetings, make myself aware of cuts in local aid and then see why the local school district had to cut something.  So in general I may be upset that music class is gone, I understand why they did it.

Who needs political enemies, when you have concerned friends?

by HGM MA on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 04:06:53 PM PST

•  Good (1+ / 0-)
              lao hong han

And all of those tactics are probably more effective than what these students are doing, but you never know.

College administrators have been known to accede to these sorts of demands rather than arrest their own students. . .

•  The New School students tried that (2+ / 0-)

They met with Kerrey, who basically told them to buzz off and mind their own business.  He refused to give them information about the University's investments, refused to let them have any voice in governance.

The occupation is hardly the first step in what's been happening at The New School.

"Run, comrade, the old world is behind you!" -- Situationist graffito, 1968

by Pesto on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 05:40:20 PM PST

•  If it's a public school (1+ / 0-)
          lao hong han

you could go to the school board, which is very, very likely to be publicly elected.  And you could ask for the current school budget, which is very, very likely to be available to you as a taxpayer.  And if you weren't satisfied, you could support new candidates for the school board, or run yourself!

At The New School, however, the students have no say, no right to information about the school's investments, and no role whatsoever in governance.  So they're taking direct action to make it clear to the Administration that they matter and their voice should be heard.

"Run, comrade, the old world is behind you!" -- Situationist graffito, 1968

by Pesto on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 05:38:22 PM PST

•  Apparently not...eom (1+ / 0-)
      michiganlefty

Founder and CFO, The Giddiyap Society.

by Trotsky the Horse on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:37:20 PM PST

•  Kind of silly?? (8+ / 0-)

I suppose the faculty's "no confidence " vote in Kerrey wasn't serious either...

I urge you to think a little further about what's going to be happening to higher education in this country. State schools will be facing massive cutbacks and tuition hikes as state budgets head deeper into the red.

Private colleges and universities have already seen their endowments devastated by the meltdown and associated tanking of stocks, CDOs, etc. Only those who can readily weather the storm, like Yale and Harvard, have received extensive coverage. A bunch of smaller liberal arts colleges are likely to go belly up in the next year or two.

These kids are the canary in the coalmine. We should support their resistance, not sneer at it. We are, in fact, all in this together, and the longer we take to figure that out, the deeper in it we will all be.

•  And (5+ / 0-)

let's not forget that the students at the New School have been joined by students from other universities around NYC, where the same kind of thing is going on. I mentioned earlier that a couple of them were arrested outside the New School building earlier this afternoon.

There are a lot of students in NYC, and their problems are very similar to those of the New School. It's actually hard to tell them apart at the graduate level, which is where most of this is happening, because there's a great deal of back-and-forth between programs at Columbia, NYU, NSU, CUNY, etc.

Founder and CFO, The Giddiyap Society.

by Trotsky the Horse on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:44:24 PM PST

•  What I am trying to imply that these kids should (2+ / 0-)
        Samulayo, lao hong han

thank their lucky stars that they are even able to attend a prestigious university like the New School. Never mind, a private university.  I can tell you right now, my daughter won't be attending a private university due to lack of resources. She won't be attending Colombia or NYC, she'll most likely go to yadda, yadda state college and be thankful she is receiving an education.

I'm not knocking their passion to do what they think is important, but using silly terms like "resistance" and "communique" I think is ridiculous.

I think I'll go back to worrying about losing my job and paying my mortgage now.  But in all honesty, good luck with the "resistance".

Who needs political enemies, when you have concerned friends?

by HGM MA on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:47:54 PM PST

•  Resistance to what? (0+ / 0-)

I understand the complaints against Kerrey's governing style, but what's the beef w/ the investments?  Are the students demanding a voice on the investment committee?

We are building a team that is continuously being built. - Sarah Palin

by burrow owl on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:53:56 PM PST

•  demands, according to the nytimes (1+ / 0-)
          burrow owl

Those included Mr. Kerrey’s removal as well as the ouster of James Murtha, the university’s executive vice president, and Robert Millard, the treasurer of the school’s board of trustees. The students said they wanted more of a voice in school matters and full disclosure of the school’s investments.

link

Satyagraha ~ there is no force in the world that is so direct or so swift in working.

by under the bodhi tree on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:59:59 PM PST

•  hey, burrow owl, i'd say yes. (5+ / 0-)

an old friend, carl davidson, who has some student activist experience in his background just forwarded me a note of support for the students. one of the points he makes is:

The most interesting of your demands, to me anyway, is your call to "open the books," for transparency in the university's dealings in whatreally is a public trust. Information wants to be free, and once you have it, it becomes a weapon for the greater good.

•  They want responsible oversight of the investment (0+ / 0-)

Sounds like having oversight for TARP. Universities wouldn't be losing nearly the magnitude of money from endowments that they are if they'd let the smart economists in on what sorts of investments they were making. Many in the world of finance and economics have thought that unregulated trading in derivatives was a bad idea from the beginning, but they haven't been in positions to steer large investors-- like universities-- away from the practices and policies that give them free rein. And this is what you get, as a result: universities lose money, with bad leadership, and people are pissed.

President-elect Barack Obama.

by noabsolutes on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 04:12:19 PM PST

•  hmmm (1+ / 0-)
            Pesto

The Treasurer of our Board of Trustees is the Chairman of L3 Communications the company that perpetrated the Abu Ghraib misdeeds.

by under the bodhi tree on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 04:48:35 PM PST

•  tacky .... (0+ / 0-)

treasurer of the Board of Trustees, Robert B. Millard, because of his position as chairman of the executive committee of the military contractor L-3 Communications. L-3 Communications provides a large percentage of the "intelligence personnel" employed in illegal detention centers in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Guantanamo Bay, and is currently facing four lawsuits from Iraqis tortured at Abu Ghraib.  L-3 subsidiary, Military Professional Resources Incorporated (MPRI) also armed and trained both sides during the Bosnian conflict in the 1990s and armed and trained the Georgian army prior to and during their attack on Russia.

by under the bodhi tree on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 05:17:36 PM PST