View Diary: URGENT: NYC Tonight—Stop Cop Move Against Student Protest! UPDATED!! (67 comments)

•  My 8 year old is upset they took away her music (0+ / 0-)

class, maybe I should go occupy her elementary school?

Who needs political enemies, when you have concerned friends?

by HGM MA on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:41:07 PM PST

•  Maybe you should (2+ / 0-)
      reddbierd, michiganlefty

put her up for adoption before you fuck up her life even more than you have already.

Founder and CFO, The Giddiyap Society.

by Trotsky the Horse on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:45:47 PM PST

•  College students aren't always just students. (2+ / 0-)
      Pd, lao hong han

I worked on campus a few hours a week at minimum wage or nearly so for my last two years as an undergrad. I had friends who were dependent on work-study. If I had heard activities funding had been cut to nothing, I'd have been worried we'd be all be cut to legal minimum wage, have hours cut, or have the jobs cut entirely, because some of us including me were doing things that wouldn't have been immediately missed by most students.

And college activities can sometimes be experience springboards into careers. It's where people get leadership experience heading a student organization. Perhaps keeping a student organization afloat on nothing but club dues for a semester might look good on a Treasurer's future resume, but plans may have already been made based on having those funds available.

I wouldn't have occupied, but I might have been chanting up at the President's Office from a rather conveniently located public sidewalk nearby.

Incomplete list of McNames in profile. Personal favorites include McSogynist, McNopoly, and McThuselah, and McCambrian.

by Cassandra Waites on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 03:50:22 PM PST

•  And I'd have been worried for my scholarship. (1+ / 0-)
        lao hong han

I had some that weren't bound to the institution, but the big one was from the university itself.

I'd have been worried about every single course I'd taken and whether it would transfer, and what places I could possibly go to that would be affordable for me not entering as part of the Freshman flood of scholarship queries, and whether I'd finish in time for the stuff bound to credit attempted, credit completed, or time attended ran out.

And most of my friends would have been in the same state of worry.

by Cassandra Waites on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 04:02:38 PM PST

•  Well... (2+ / 0-)
      Pesto, lao hong han

It might be better than just sitting around and doing nothing. If you don't do anything, she'll never get her music class back.

•  Geez, what I meant by that comment is that (2+ / 0-)
        Pd, lao hong han

I do pleanty.  I go to the town budget meetings, make myself aware of cuts in local aid and then see why the local school district had to cut something.  So in general I may be upset that music class is gone, I understand why they did it.

Who needs political enemies, when you have concerned friends?

by HGM MA on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 04:06:53 PM PST

•  Good (1+ / 0-)
          lao hong han

And all of those tactics are probably more effective than what these students are doing, but you never know.

College administrators have been known to accede to these sorts of demands rather than arrest their own students. . .

•  The New School students tried that (2+ / 0-)

They met with Kerrey, who basically told them to buzz off and mind their own business.  He refused to give them information about the University's investments, refused to let them have any voice in governance.

The occupation is hardly the first step in what's been happening at The New School.

"Run, comrade, the old world is behind you!" -- Situationist graffito, 1968

by Pesto on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 05:40:20 PM PST

•  If it's a public school (1+ / 0-)
      lao hong han

you could go to the school board, which is very, very likely to be publicly elected.  And you could ask for the current school budget, which is very, very likely to be available to you as a taxpayer.  And if you weren't satisfied, you could support new candidates for the school board, or run yourself!

At The New School, however, the students have no say, no right to information about the school's investments, and no role whatsoever in governance.  So they're taking direct action to make it clear to the Administration that they matter and their voice should be heard.

"Run, comrade, the old world is behind you!" -- Situationist graffito, 1968

by Pesto on Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 05:38:22 PM PST

• Recommended (127)
  • Community (60)
  • Media (32)
  • Elections (32)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site