View Diary: About My Jealousy of Gays (48 comments)

•  I disagree. (1+ / 0-)
    vcthree

From what I can tell, I chose to be a lesbian, and I am.

It would be better if you spoke for yourself.

•  Fair enough... (1+ / 0-)
      rserven

...my apologies.

I'm over the meta. Either do something about it, or do nothing, but stop talking already.

by vcthree on Sun Dec 21, 2008 at 08:09:09 PM PST

•  To explain: (1+ / 0-)
        mariva

I'm a transwoman.  I chose to have a sex change.  I was a straight guy before that.  I'm still attracted to women.  Now I'm a lesbian.

When transfolk transition, there is no predicting what will happen to their sexual attraction.

•  Ah...got it. (1+ / 0-)
          rserven

Thanks for the explanation.  I hadn't a clue about it...that's very interesting.

by vcthree on Sun Dec 21, 2008 at 08:20:18 PM PST

•  Ok..that adds whole new variables to the issue (1+ / 0-)
          rserven

I did not know that. And honestly there are things I don't know and have questions about regarding transfolk myself..

A fellow ain't got a soul of his own, just little piece of a big soul, the one big soul that belongs to everybody - Tom Joad, Grapes of Wrath

by gladkov on Sun Dec 21, 2008 at 08:21:26 PM PST

•  If I can ask a stupid question (1+ / 0-)
          rserven

Do many transfolk change their orientation following the sex change process?

by gladkov on Sun Dec 21, 2008 at 08:23:31 PM PST

•  I have friends who were lesbians... (2+ / 0-)
            mariva, Marja E

...who end up gay men, gay men who ended up lesbians, straight men who end up straight women, etc.  Give me a combination and I bet I know someone.

After surgery, the estimate is that transsexual people are 1/3 straight, 1/3 bi, and 1/3 gay or lesbian.

When one considers that, one has to wonder at how much power cultural approbation has.

•  Look we all have different experiences (2+ / 0-)
        rserven, vcthree

Some people have been gay their whole lives. Others were married with children and then discovered their "true" sexuality (if there is such a thing..)

My dad once asked me when I first came out if I could have a choice, would I choose otherwise. I was about 20 and to make him feel better I said "Probably yes"
        Now at 39 I can honestly say, "Hell no.." because I would be a different person completely and I just love men, their shape, their muscles, their smell..for me it is the most natural thing in the world.

by gladkov on Sun Dec 21, 2008 at 08:19:55 PM PST

•  Well I don't know your story (0+ / 0-)

but didn't biology and physical attraction play a huge role? I couldn't just flip a switch and suddenly be interested in women...except for Juliette Binoche, that might work..

by gladkov on Sun Dec 21, 2008 at 08:16:32 PM PST