View Diary: Another Casualty Of The Bush Recession (237 comments)

•  asdf (2+ / 0-)
    Spathiphyllum, jgtidd

I don't have health insurance so I go to the doctor only when absolutely necessary.  Luckily it hasn't been necessary for over five years.

•  Do they have free clinics in your area? (0+ / 0-)

They're better than nothing.

This is my sig line. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

by djtyg on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 07:52:34 AM PST

•  but then how would you know ? (0+ / 0-)

Without a yearly checkup you could be a walking timebomb. Just sayin...

President Theodore Roosevelt,"No man can take part in the torture of a human being without having his own moral nature permanently lowered."

by SmileySam on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 07:53:43 AM PST

•  Who wants to know? (3+ / 0-)
        wishingwell, djtyg, tobendaro

I know that sounds flip, but I understand where BDA is coming from. I was without insurance for years, believe me, I ignored the shit of out symptoms, as it was a rock & a hard place. Play craps with your health? Or your (already) insecure financial state? Maybe you can ignore it long enough to find that job that provides insurance...

I don't think anyone can imagine the panic I felt when I thought I had appendicitis and no insurance. (Fortunately, it wasn't.)

Wake me if he actually repeals DOMA, DADT or passes ENDA.

by Scott Wooledge on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 08:16:22 AM PST

•  I don't blame you.... (0+ / 0-)

but I went through the same thing (even when I had my crappy insurance) and it ended up costing me more than if I had just gone to a free clinic.  I kept trying to tough it out until I almost collapsed and didn't have much choice but to go to the hospital.

This is my sig line. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

by djtyg on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 08:24:51 AM PST

•  Too many forms of Cancer can be cured but (1+ / 0-)
          wishingwell

only if caught early enough to be treatable. For the most part there are few sign until it is too late to treat. All of life is a gamble but it's best to cut the odds down in your favor at every turn.

by SmileySam on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 08:26:23 AM PST

•  I'm not arguing the logic of that (3+ / 0-)
            Neon Mama, SmileySam, Nicci August

just expanding on the mindset, and the sadness that we place too many Americans in the position, pay the rent, or pay the doctor?

Wake me if he actually repeals DOMA, DADT or passes ENDA.

by Scott Wooledge on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 08:30:48 AM PST

•  true if you have a few symptoms or are having (0+ / 0-)

tests for something else and the cancer is found that way.

My parents always went to the doctor regularly and did everything the doctors said. They followed doctors' orders strictly and made an appt for the least little symptom. Yet both died from rare cancers as when they did have a small symptom, the doctors tested and found nothing.

Both of them had to get so sick that exploratory surgery was done and then cancer was found. They were forever at the doctors having tests and checkups and the doctors would declare them both in great health.  And when they were sick, doctors could find nothing.

So with some cancers, especially in my family, it seems they are silent cancers or so rare, hard to detect..so even going to the doctor all the time is not a guarantee.

Of course, I agree with your premise: going to the doctor and early detection is the best route..always and I highly recommend it.

I just wanted to say that with my parents and a few other relatives who were always at the doctors office for a sniffle or pain ...still the doctors had trouble diagnosing and treating their problem.