View Diary: Israel attacking unarmed ship! US citizens and others in grave danger! (294 comments)

•  Okay. (9+ / 0-)

So the Israeli patrol rammed the boat, suspecting it of "terrorist activities."  No reports of gunfire.  No reports of injury.  Taking on some water, though not catastrophic.

Guess we'll just have to wait for the next report.

Would be nice if the hysteria were toned down a bit.  Nothing in that video mentioned "grave danger."  But hey, you sail a ship into the middle of a war zone, doesn't "grave danger" kind of come with the territory?

Hope you enjoyed it, Sarah, 'cause we just kicked your silly winking folksy lipsticked ass back to Alaska. Now shut the fuck up and stay there. Also.

by Kaili Joy Gray on Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 10:57:35 PM PST

•  Yes, I agree with you (8+ / 0-)

As I noted below, an actual attempt to get humanitarian aid past a blockade would involve boats with no passengers, crewed exclusively with experienced sailors, with sufficient fuel to get back where they came from. Trying to bring 15 high-profile figures into a war zone against the wishes of the blockading power isn't a humanitarian mission, it's a publicity stunt. They're getting publicity. So I congratulate them.

I am, of course, concerned for the people on board, but I'm certain they were fully aware of the risks. Even if they'd made it to Gaza they would have been in an active war zone at risk of bombing.

•  Grave danger? Is there any other kind? (3+ / 0-)
      Arken, pgm 01, Angry Mouse

Jack Nicholson would tell 'em what's what....if he were on that boat.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 11:10:47 PM PST

•  I saw on the news that Bush is going to be having (4+ / 0-)
        mattman, Arken, kyril, Angry Mouse

luncheon with Obama and the living ex-presidents.  I guess zombie Reagan was disinvited.

•  unlikely. potential. moderate. (1+ / 0-)
        kyril

There's a whole world of adjectives used to moderate the fuzziness of categorical thought.  Besides, Jack ain't on that boat.  He's on the wall at Gitmo.

We don't have time for short-term thinking.

by Compound F on Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 11:19:48 PM PST

•  Hey, I didn't write the damn headline. (1+ / 0-)
        kyril

According to the reporter from CNN, it's not a life-threatening situation.  But why should that stop everyone from freaking the fuck out?

by Kaili Joy Gray on Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 11:20:12 PM PST

•  Why should we be freaking out? (2+ / 0-)
          kyril, Angry Mouse

I'm not clear on that/ The Israeli Navy maintains a blockade. Now that the situation has escalated into actual combat, I should freak out because the Navy has interdicted a boat trying to break the blockade?

Please tell me you have more....

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 11:26:13 PM PST

•  Hey, I agree with you. (2+ / 0-)
            FischFry, kyril

I've now read the CNN reports, watched the video, and even delved into the FreeGaza website (which I will never do again).

We have very little information, and yet look at the headline of this diary.  You'd think that Israel had launched a fatal attack on this boat, rather than, you know, stopped it.

by Kaili Joy Gray on Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 11:31:13 PM PST