View Diary: Israel attacking unarmed ship! US citizens and others in grave danger! (294 comments)

•  Okay, let me explain: (3+ / 0-)
    TLS66, debedb, Shane Hensinger

A website that repeatedly affirms the right of Palestinians to exist, to have their own nation, and to have their nation in that part of the world -- but never once mentions the right of Israelis to do the same -- is not a neutral news source.

Hope you enjoyed it, Sarah, 'cause we just kicked your silly winking folksy lipsticked ass back to Alaska. Now shut the fuck up and stay there. Also.

by Kaili Joy Gray on Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 11:25:29 PM PST

•  Who cares if they're neutral (11+ / 0-)

The point is whether they are liars. You have provided no evidence that can inform us either way. The fact that CNN later confirmed their story goes a long way towards their credibility.

And for the record, when an Israeli warship slams into another ship, it's a fucking attack. At least here in the reality based community.

•  I am questioning their credibility. (1+ / 0-)
        nokkonwud

Again, I recommend you look at their website before concluding that their reports are accurate.  I suppose I could take the time to go back to the website and quote the parts I find particularly egregious, but frankly, I don't ever want to be on that site again.  Sorry, you'll have to do that yourself.

As for this "attack" -- again, I'm waiting for more information before categorizing this as anything other than the patrol stopping a boat trying to break through a blocade.  You want to inject hyped up words like "attack" and "grave danger," well, okay, fine.  But I don't.  I'd rather reserve judgment until I have the information.  I believe that's also how it works here in the reality based community.

by Kaili Joy Gray on Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 11:37:03 PM PST

•  OK here it is (9+ / 0-)

from theri website's Mission section:

May 2008 marks the 60-year anniversary of the Nakba, "the catastrophe", when the overwhelming majority of Palestinians were forcibly evicted from their ancestral homeland to create the state of Israel. In contravention of International law, human rights, and basic principles of morality, Israel continues to deny these refugees and their descendants their right to return home. Israel has neither acknowledged nor attempted to amend this historic injustice that gave birth to the Jewish state. Instead, more than 5 million Palestinian refugees languish in refugee camps, while their homes, farms, and properties are inhabited by Jewish immigrants who arrived in Palestine from around the globe.

The historic illegal appropriation of Palestinian land, home and heritage is at the heart of the Middle East conflict. It has given rise to the largest ongoing refugee population in the world. It paved the way for subsequent land theft in 1967, and the ongoing ethnic cleansing that has squeezed Palestinians in the West Bank into ghettos and bantustans surrounded by 27-foot walls, sniper towers, and military guards. It has created the open-air prison of Gaza with an impoverished and overcrowded population of 1.4 million inhabitants.

This tragic event has dispossessed and disinherited Palestinians all over the world; and a destitute population of refugees with only their memories of Palestine, crumbling property deeds, and an undaunted will to return.

Mission Statement
          We want to break the siege of Gaza. We want to raise international awareness about the prison-like closure of the Gaza Strip and pressure the international community to review its sanctions policy and end its support for continued Israeli occupation. We want to uphold Palestine's right to welcome internationals as visitors, human rights observers, humanitarian aid workers, journalists, or otherwise.

Who are we?
          We are these human rights observers, aid workers, and journalists. We have years of experience volunteering in Gaza and the West Bank at the invitation of Palestinians. But now, because of the increasing stranglehold of Israel's illegal occupation of Palestine, many of us find it almost impossible to enter Gaza, and an increasing number have been refused entry to Israel and the West Bank as well. Despite the great need for our work, the Israeli Government will not allow us in to do it.

We are of all ages and backgrounds. Back home, we are teachers, doctors, nurses, engineers, truck drivers, youth workers, musicians, secretaries, parents, grandparents, lawyers, students, activists, actors, playwrights, politicians, web designers, authors, international training consultants, and we even include a former Hollywood film industry worker, a former Marine, an aviator, and an explorer. We are Italian, Irish, Canadian, Greek, Tunisian, German, Australian, American, English, Scottish, Danish, Israeli, and Palestinian.

What part offends you?

•  I'm done discussing this with you. (1+ / 0-)
            dhonig

If you can read that and not see anything wrong with it, I don't think we'll be able to agree on anything.

Have a good night.

by Kaili Joy Gray on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 12:15:43 AM PST

•  I never said I didn't see anything wrong with it (3+ / 0-)
              Boreal Ecologist, ArtSchmart, Gracian

I wanted to know what you found wrong with it. Specifically, I am curious in which part you take offense.

But if you don't want to explain, that's cool. I'm not that curious.

•  "right to return home" (1+ / 0-)
                ArtSchmart

would probably be the line most offensive to Angry Mouse, TD.

I wonder how many pro-Israel web-sites devote many precious electrons to mentioning the Palestinians right to exist? I've seen a few, au contraire, which deny that they even exist in the first place.

Pity.

You'll pay me the 8s I won of you a-betting?

by Boreal Ecologist on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 04:40:56 AM PST

•  Thanks for speaking for me. (1+ / 0-)
                  Boreal Ecologist

But no.

My feelings about Israel are a lot more complicated than pro-Israel or pro-Palestine.  But frankly, I'm just too tired right now to get into it.

Next time, please don't make assumptions about how I feel.

by Kaili Joy Gray on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 10:24:58 AM PST

•  Having had someone else "read my mind" (0+ / 0-)

for evil in these threads, I will try never to do the same for you, Angry Mouse.

My 2008 New Years resolution was to stay away from dKos on account the I/P threads. I kept it until August. May be leaving again, but t'was nice to have met you.

Keep on Rockin'

You'll pay me the 8s I won of you a-betting?

by Boreal Ecologist on Tue Dec 30, 2008 at 08:51:14 PM PST

•  True enough, But I think they have other things (3+ / 0-)
      mattman, conchita, Euroliberal

to worry about. Israel doesn't; it is a nuclear superpower. I don't expect the weak and occupied to be neutral, nor myself in such cases. Is it true is the question? CNN are far from'Neutral" ditto corporate media.