View Diary: One Year Ago Tonight: A Teaching Moment in Adversity (75 comments)

•  Well, we should have tried Clinton instead (1+ / 0-)
    Bull Schmitt

considering she was pro-NAFTA, her allies lied about it and then shifted her words onto Obama.

When such human rights luminaries as Nancy Pelosi and leading Republicans call Hugo Chavez a "thug" and a brutal dictator, how could you possibly disagree?

by Nulwee on Thu Jan 08, 2009 at 10:55:11 AM PST

•  I opposed Clinton (0+ / 0-)

I wish she had never run for president. If she had stayed out, I think Gore would have jumped in and Obama would have stayed out.

Join the Iowa progressive community at Bleeding Heartland.

by desmoinesdem on Thu Jan 08, 2009 at 10:56:59 AM PST

•  So the we're agreed (0+ / 0-)

we got the best candidate we could have realistically expected?

by Nulwee on Thu Jan 08, 2009 at 10:59:56 AM PST

•  Al Gore would have been a much better president (0+ / 0-)

I don't have high hopes for Obama. I don't think Hillary would have been any better, but I also don't think she would have been worse than Obama. I see Obama as very much in the Clinton policy mold.

Join the Iowa progressive community at Bleeding Heartland.

by desmoinesdem on Thu Jan 08, 2009 at 11:02:22 AM PST

•  Maybe part of the problem is that people always (6+ / 0-)

seem to think Obama's political identity is whoever he's associated with atm.

Hillary and Obama were over all more progressive than Bill, although that doesn't mean Hillary didn't have serious issues with her corporate past and loyalty to Bill.

Obama marches to his own drumbeat, always has, probably always will. And All of his "choices" are about one thing first and foremost--increasing his political capital. I've criticized Larry Summers and others because I don't think they merit the "seriousness" label bestowed on them, but they're not worthless or dangerous as some on the left think they are. The original advisors and staff who are staying on with him are going to be just as influential as they ever were.

Obama's voting record shows him in the upper tier of most liberal/progressive Congresspeople. For that reason I think Obama, since he doesn't have the loyalty baggage that someone like Clinton carries, is about as credible as anyone. You'll notice Edwards didn't have that credibility in terms of an actual verifiable record.

by Nulwee on Thu Jan 08, 2009 at 11:08:02 AM PST

•  Based on what? (4+ / 0-)
            askew, GN1927, mjd in florida, The Field

I respect VP Gore's early opposition to Iraq (same as Obama's) and his work on global warming, but Gore hasn't really said or done anything to suggest that he'd be at all different from Obama as a president.

I like Al Gore and all, but in a contest between him and Obama I would've still backed Obama, because I still had doubts about Gore's electoral ability and because Gore was often being mistaken for being a lot more liberal than he really is.

•  Wow, this just hasn't been your century (1+ / 0-)
        askew

has it?  All these politicians failing to respond to your thought waves and line up according to your vision.

You gotta give 'em hope. - Harvey Milk