View Diary: First Week (64 comments)

•  Ok, so he hasn't answered YOU (1+ / 0-)
    MCinNH

specifically but he has given answers to the general questions?

•  Call me old-fashioned... (2+ / 0-)
      Yoshimi, Send Rahm a Cheesecake

...but when I say, point blank, tell me about the issues I care about, and I get a response back, "here are the issues I care about", and I get a chance to ask the question again, I ask it.  I want my questions answered, I don't want to be victim of a pivot to talking points.

The Republican Party: the party of greed, hate, anger, fear, waste, death and destruction!

by ultrageek on Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:06:45 PM PST

•  He Answered Your Question (0+ / 0-)

He just didn't answer them an additional time, with the answers directed specifically to you, in the same forum and at the same time at which he already answered them.

"Dignified people, without a whimsical streak, almost never offer fresh insights, in economics or anywhere else." Paul Krugman

by Dana Houle on Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:12:06 PM PST

•  I'd figure, being in his district, (2+ / 0-)
          Yoshimi, Send Rahm a Cheesecake

he'd want to answer my question, not pivot to his talking point.  Since he didn't, I feel it's fair to ask him again.  I've asked other people, why get your undies in a bunch when I ask a simple straight forward question of someone who is supposedly courting my vote?

by ultrageek on Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:22:03 PM PST

•  And frankly, (0+ / 0-)

if he doesn't want to answer me in a straightforward manner, that's his perogative.

It is also my perogative not to vote for the guy.

by ultrageek on Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:23:03 PM PST

•  Because You're Not Being Honest (1+ / 0-)
            MCinNH

You're saying he didn't answer the question you posed.  He did.  He just didn't address it directly to you.

You're saying he's evading a question, when in reality you're demanding that he interact directly with you.

Not the same thing.

by Dana Houle on Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:23:31 PM PST

•  Hasn't answered mine at all. (1+ / 0-)
          ultrageek

I've something like 60 Myspace friends in the District, could be of significant help, if motivated.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one in the White House

by ben masel on Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:22:08 PM PST

•  Well, It's the Problem When Staff... (1+ / 0-)
            Send Rahm a Cheesecake

...post a diary under the candidate's name but the candidate isn't around to interact with people.  It's why I tell candidates to not post a diary at DKos under their name unless they plan on sticking around for a little while to interact with people in the comment thread.

by Dana Houle on Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:25:28 PM PST

•  Then the staffer should... (3+ / 0-)

post something to the effect of "I'll have to check with Tiom, and we'll get back to you. How can we get in touch?"

I'm not a doctor, but I play one in the White House

by ben masel on Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:39:44 PM PST

•  That is a problem. (1+ / 0-)
              ultrageek

Maybe the staff shouldn't be writing something in Geogheganegan's (sp) name.

I understand ultrageek's frustration.  The guy doesn't seem to be of the 5th District community and is also not very responsive to our concerns.  The 5th district consists of some pretty tight neighborhoods and some of our other candidates are very active in our community.  Blago lived in our neighborhood and was active in the neighborhood before being elected to the seat.  Rahm, well he lives there now and has been pretty absent locally during his term in congress.  We want a neighbor who represents us, not someone with a bigger mission in DC.

I now also understand the power of using the attack "that candidate is an outsider supported by bloggers who don't live in our neighborhood".

•  Still... (0+ / 0-)

...when I cornered him shoe shopping with his kid at Alamo, we had a long and heated discussion about Tammy Duckworth, Mark Kirk and various other things.  He wasn't evasive,  he didn't dodge questions.  I might not have liked what he said, but he took 20 minutes away from time with his kid to chat with me one-on-one... and when his kid started to fidget, he apologized and said he needed to spend time with his son, that he's away so much, and did I understand... and of course I did.

Similarly, when Blago spoke at Women and Children First (affectionately called "Dykes and Kids"), there was no question where he stood on women's rights and gay rights, and when the questions were raised, they were answered forthrightly and without equivocation.

We're used to that around here.  You talk to Sara Feigenholtz, you get a straight answer.  You talk to Mike Quigley, you get a straight answer.  You talk to John Fritchey, you get a straight answer.

I have never been pivoted from in my life, and I didn't like the experience.

by ultrageek on Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 03:04:42 PM PST

•  If Mr. Geoghegan, or his campaign... (0+ / 0-)

don't answer someone like ultrageek's questions to her satisfaction, and she's an activist and a voter in his district, why are you attacking her?