View Diary: The Simon Weisenthal Center Hits Back Against "Luridly Hyped Details" Emerging on Gaza (340 comments)

•  Horrible (6+ / 0-)

As horrible as the incidents are in Europe, I doubt they would not have happened if Israel hadn't committed its massacre in Gaza. I am surprised the Wiesenthal center didn't comment on the Gaza "incident".

By the way, it is not just France. Sweden is scheduled to play Davis Cup against Israel in a few weeks. In Sweden, there is so much anger against Israel right now that they are planning to play the match WITHOUT spectators. Otherwise, there would be riots against the Israeli players.

Bombing schools - what kind of evil person authorizes this?

•  Nothing like blaming the victim. (4+ / 0-)

Or, in this case, blaming the victim for someone else's actions.

We are building a team that is continuously being built. - Sarah Palin

by burrow owl on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 06:16:37 AM PST

•  I think you're being willfully obtuse. (6+ / 0-)

The commenter isn't blaming anyone or excusing anything. He's providing the reason for why the spikes in violence have occurred.

This whole mess is quite tragic.

So you think you can love me and leave me to die?

by unspeakable on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 06:21:39 AM PST

•  Fair enough. (1+ / 0-)
          unspeakable

We are building a team that is continuously being built. - Sarah Palin

by burrow owl on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 06:22:53 AM PST

•  The reason is "hate". (4+ / 0-)

What was provided was an excuse.

Our noses are big so we can smell your money!

by arielle on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 06:41:37 AM PST

•  I don't deny the reason is hate. (4+ / 0-)
            mattman, snakelass, corvo, JesseCW

Of course it's hate. It's bigoted and ugly hate. The only people to blame are the ones who have attacked French Jews.

The point is, French Jews have been attacked in the past couple of years but never to this degree. I think pointing out that the rise in the number of attacks is related to Israel's war on Gaza is fair game.

Perhaps that's not what the commenter meant, but that's how I understood it. You can agree or disagree with me.

So you think you can love me and leave me to die?

by unspeakable on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 07:07:18 AM PST

•  The same thing happened during Lebanon (4+ / 0-)

and I recall one specific incident in Rome where the Jewish shops were vandalized and looted.

The fact is, holding Roman Jews accountable for what was happening in Lebanon or French (or British, or Belgium, or....see news) Jews accountable for what is happening in Gaza is farcical, dangerous, and related only by virtue of Excuse Du Jour.

Our noses are big so we can smell your money!

by arielle on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 08:01:00 AM PST

•  Yes, but what is the origin of hate? (0+ / 0-)

There's a lot of hate and, one of its sources, prejudice in the world. Hate is bad but ignorance of its sources is also bad.

•  Wrong as usual (1+ / 0-)
            corvo

the reason is anger--generated by the slaughter of innocent civilians in Gaza by the IDF--which is a war crime.

But an undirected and seemingly irrational 'hatred' is to easier to blame, for sure-- it let's off the actual problem with the simpleton response of anti-semitism. Anger has a root cause--and that cause is the occupation and slaughter of an innocent people in Gaza.

DelicateMonster a slightly left of center reading experience

by DelicateMonster on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 08:49:18 AM PST

•  yeah well, (4+ / 0-)

if I provided islamic terrorism as a reason for anti-muslim violence and hatred, I'd be troll-rated into oblivion.

But impartially explaining how the anti-semtism against French jews is the fault of the Israeli jews is just fine on DailyKos.

If someone was sending rockets on my house where my daughters were sleeping at night, I would do everything to stop it. Barack Obama

by Borat Sagdiyev on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 06:51:46 AM PST

•  That's an interesting fantasy (3+ / 0-)
            mattman, corvo, unspeakable

Many anti-Arab racists are motivated to act on their racism after terror attacks are commited by Arab Muslims.

They often are emboldened by the general anger they percieve, and convince themselves they are just doing what other would do "if they had the courage".

Let's wait and see who TR's me.

•  I uprated you. (2+ / 0-)
              mattman, corvo

Why? Because you didn't blame Muslims or Arabs for the attacks. Similarly mnguy66 didn't blame Jews, which is why I uprated his comment.

So you think you can love me and leave me to die?

by unspeakable on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 07:23:58 AM PST

•  You are absolutely right (0+ / 0-)

We didn't experience many attacks on mosques until after 9/11. Women in hijab almost never were attacked before that either... now it's a different story.

Tinfoil! ...it's the new black!

by mosesfreeman on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 11:24:18 AM PST

•  Note the use of qualifiers. (2+ / 0-)
                mosesfreeman, corvo

There is no question, at all, that such attacks massively increased after 9/11.

That doesn't make "the muslims" (as if there was such a thing) responsible for being attacked, the asswipes who engage in this sort of terrorism (and, let's face it, all hate crimes are terrorism) are the ones responsible for their own crimes.

However, we know that many a bigot was motivated to act on their hatred after 9/11.  To talk about it frankly doesn't validate that hatred, or excuse the crimes that resulted.

There was anti-Jewish bigotry in France before Operation Cast Phosporus, and hate crimes against jews were comitted.  They have, however, stepped up in its wake in much the same way that attacks on muslims in the US stepped up in the wake of 9/11.

•  bombing schools, huh? (0+ / 0-)

ever heard of Beslan?

That of course was a deliberate terror attack, not an unfortunate targeting error in the middle of a battle as it was in Israel's case.

Did anti-Muslim riots take place in France and Sweden after the Beslan massacre? Would you have been just as forgiving and understanding if they did?

by Borat Sagdiyev on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 06:47:48 AM PST

•  Beslan was perpetrated by Muslims (3+ / 0-)
        mattman, corvo, ArtSchmart

but it wasn't an Islamic terror attack.  It was a Chechen nationalist movement, who happen to be Muslim.

If you don't know the difference between racist hatred and nationalist insurgency, you can't fight either properly

And the only part of

unfortunate targeting error

as a descriptor of the Gaza operation is "Unfortunate"

Those who hear not the music-think the dancers mad

by Eiron on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 07:08:39 AM PST

•  "unfortunate targeting error" (3+ / 0-)
        mattman, mosesfreeman, corvo

Give me a fucking break!

So you think you can love me and leave me to die?

by unspeakable on Sat Jan 24, 2009 at 07:26:13 AM PST