View Diary: Thoughts on Emily & Middle School Issues (27 comments)

•  So sorry, but (6+ / 0-)

home schooling is not the answer for everybody, nor for the system as a whole.

We are failing our middle schools students -- period.  I'm not sure what the answers are -- or if there are answers.  But I'd start with putting 6th graders back in elementary school.

A diary is in the works about the travails of my public school district and just how glaring the failure is.

•  . (2+ / 0-)
      laderrick, algebrateacher

The conventional instructional school can be the right path for many youth,...

•  My district (1+ / 0-)
      algebrateacher

has 5th grade at the Middle School level.  Doesn't seem to be very problematic from my experience.  5th graders are generally kept "separate" from the 6th - 8th graders.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 10:01:14 AM PST

•  Many Paths (0+ / 0-)

The bottom line is that one size cannot fit all.  I am convinced now there is no possible way to define a single type of ed environment that works for all kids.  I think that issue really shows itself in middle school, with kids transitioning into a new developmental period.

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com

by leftyparent on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 12:39:43 PM PST

•  Oh I agree. (0+ / 0-)

Although I feel that if done correctly the current environment can serve a majority it certainly is not for all kids.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 01:10:58 PM PST

•  I'll look forward to your diary. I agree with (1+ / 0-)
      algebrateacher

you that home-schooling is not an option for most people.  Our public system worked before and needs to be fixed. I don't have a million great ideas, but would advance any ideas I hear for our area, too. We can't keep doing what we're doing now!
      Also agree with putting 6th graders back in elementary school.  Why rush?  This is not a problem in our district, but it still makes no sense to me.

•  Many Paths (0+ / 0-)

The key I think is to create an ed regulation environment to really allow for many diverse educational options - conventional instructional schools, holistic schools, free schools, home schooling, mentoring, etc. - all to flourish.

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com

by leftyparent on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 12:41:15 PM PST

•  True but not likely. Not black&white enough for (0+ / 0-)

politicians/regulators.  Here we go...When I went to school (lol) ... we had shop classes that taught everything from auto to carpentry...basically try-a-trade, various drafting classes, etc., that allowed ALL students to find a place where they could graduate with something they could use.  Now that same kid is probably drugged because he can't sit still and "pay attention" for the whole day.

•  Sad but true... (0+ / 0-)

I think you are right.  My partner Sally and I went through giving our son aderall for a year to try and help him survive middle school.  Looking back it was like giving someone pain killers so they can keep beating their head against the wall...*g*

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com

by leftyparent on Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 04:26:19 PM PST

•  I agree (1+ / 0-)
      laderrick

You are right... homeschooling is not for everyone... what kids and families need are choices... alternatives... with one being conventional instructional middle school, another being home schooling, and others as well.  That way your conventional middle school would be mainly populated by kids who actually wanted to be there... changing the dynamic of that environment completely.

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com