View Diary: HR Law - The Hidden Metrics that Decide your Career (81 comments)

•  Not going to work (8+ / 0-)

Spend the entirety of the prime of your life (since science has proven that you begin physical decline inevitably after age 30) on the outside looking in no matter what you do.  Have everything you actually give a damn about in your life torn away.  Have to rely on your parents which gives them full reign to meddle (again).

If you aren't bitter after that then your lying to yourself to the extent of it being a mortal sin.

"An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot." - Thomas Paine

by Mister Gloom on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 12:04:39 PM PST

•  I should have been more specific. My reading of (1+ / 0-)
      yoduuuh do or do not

your diary led me to believe that something specific had triggered/inspired it. I was, and continue to be, curious if that is the case, hence my question of "what really happened?" For instance, graduate school for what? Why would that experience have exposed you to to HR practices of this sort?

I in no way meant anyone disrespect, nor meant to imply that simply watching a Hollywood-ized idealist capitalism-love-story would be a solution to anyone's real world problems.

Yours, and MiscastDice's, points are well taken. I am no fan of the myth of capitalist everyone-can be-what-the-want-to-be-ism. I mean, every child who is now walking around thinking, "wow, it really is true, anybody can be President!" needs to be reminded of Hillary and Sarah, Al Gore and Dukakis in order to be better prepared to pursue their own true paths, whatever they may be.

Not everyone can be president. Not everyone can be a doctor or a professional football player, either.

I was only, I now know, in a miscommunicated way, trying to say that there are other lenses through which to view this. This is not, as neither are most things, a Pollyanna vs Realist dichotomy of thought. There are many lenses through which to view this issue, and many examples and life experiences from which to draw insight, wisdom, and guidance.

Thank you for sharing yours. I am both humbled and better informed as a result. My original comment did not clearly convey my thinking after reading your words. For that, my apologies.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking. -J.M. Keynes

by elropsych on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 01:46:05 PM PST

•  Addressing one point (0+ / 0-)

Most of the rest of this is opinion that we could dispute until the cows come home but wouldn't bring us to an end point.  I will address one point though:

>>I instinctively react to any diary that only expresses the possibility of one point of view with my own skepticism. For example, there are many cases of people making significant breakthroughs and contributions to the areas of interest well after the age of 30, (even in mathematics, which is a notoriously "young" person's sport) both in organizations with HR and in completely alternative routes.<<</p>

Sciences is a different sort (for example Einstein did his most famous work while working as Patent Clerk).  However, in business, baring very rare examples that broke numerous odds by the time they were 20, you either make it by 30 or you don't make it (as Donald Trump has commented more than once).  People who break the odds late in life (Harlin Sanders of KFC fame being one) are rarities that you can point to early because they were bucking the odds their whole life.   The rest of us either live within the odds or get crushed by them.

by Mister Gloom on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 01:49:33 PM PST

•  So, bucking them, living within them, or (0+ / 0-)

getting crushed by them are the only three possible paths? There are no spaces in between those cardinal compass points?

by elropsych on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 02:00:03 PM PST

•  Actually only the last 2 (0+ / 0-)

The first is only possible by very, very rare individuals who do this sort of thing as casually as you or I would turn the ignition in our cars (I usually pluck the 1 in 10,000 number out of the air, but I've never studied formally what the number is but I know they're rare as they're pretty much the only people to leave a lasting mark other than offspring in this world).

Its these type of people who can say "I'll have a baby at 40 and it won't destroy me." and not get destroyed.  Anyone else, making the same choice, even the financially bright ones, would be crushed by trying to defy those odds.

You either live within those oddes or you get crushed by them.  Regardless of intelligence, planning, and common sense.

by Mister Gloom on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 02:04:18 PM PST

•  Could be even worse (0+ / 0-)

My life began at 28.

I was unemployable for health reasons. I was numb too. It was hard enough getting through day after day between my asthma and my gender dysphoria. I can't see where to go without enough money to pay my medical costs. I can't see how to get the money without any job experience.

I can't work cash registers for religious reasons, so I can't really work many skat retail jobs.

Remember Duanna Johnson. Tortured by the Memphis PD for being black and trans. Killed by the Memphis PD for speaking up.

by Marja E on Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 06:27:22 PM PST