View Diary: Huff Post breaks ANOTHER bailout story: Reform groups demand investigation! (168 comments)

•  The answers are obvious (2+ / 0-)
    JVolvo, elwior

What does Dick Durbin think of the donor strike?

Who cares?  Do I need to agree with everything Dick Durbin thinks if I agree with his bill on this subject?  I agree with IDEAS not with MEN.

Does this make, according to your coalition, Arlen Specter "one of us?"  Are you now encouraging people to donate to Specter?

I encourage the support of bills based on the contents of the bill, not who put it forth.  And to the extent Specter supports this bill, he is doing something good.  Insinuating that we should be afraid that someone might donate to Specter based on this bill is nothing but an invocation of the idea that Party is above Country.

Why do you keep portraying problems with the TARP money being spent to lobby or influence public policy--serious problems, no doubt--as something that would be effected by the Durbin-Specter bill, which would do NOTHING about the problem of the TARP money?

The retrospective problem of how the TARP money has been spent is one for the courts.  The prospective problem of how ANY money, TARP or otherwise, is spent by special interest groups is a problem for legislation.  This legislation necessarily effects the spending of future TARP money.

•  Riiiiiight (2+ / 0-)
      slinkerwink, JT88

This legislation necessarily effects the spending of future TARP money.

Thanks for revealing how little you know about campaign finance issues.  The TARP money went in to corporate treasuries, which means it can't be given to candidates, and the Durbin bill is limited to spending by candidates.

So, you revealed that you don't know what you're talking about, AND failed to show how the two issues are linked.

Glad to know you're such a strong supporter of something you don't understand.

Supporter or ideas and not men indeed...

"Dignified people, without a whimsical streak, almost never offer fresh insights, in economics or anywhere else." Paul Krugman

by Dana Houle on Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 11:08:22 AM PST

•  Look at the Big Picture (5+ / 0-)

Corporate treasury -->  Special Interest Group -->  Support for Candidate
        Wherein some amount of capital, X, produces some amount of support, Y, for a candidate.

This bill necessarily increases the effect of small donor donations on campaign financing.  Now that variable, "Y" above, it is diminished in proportion.  Suddenly there is less bang-for-the-buck in choosing how TARP money would be spent.

This necessarily diminishes the effectiveness of TARP money being channeled into lobbying.

And you are also aware that TARP money is being used for corporate payroll, so you understand those executives donations are affected by this bill.

•  It's a Piece of Legislation, Not of Big Picture (3+ / 0-)
          slinkerwink, JT88, freakofsociety

The legislation would do nothing about the TARP money.  Nothing.  That doesn't make it good or bad, it just makes the two issues irrelevant to each other.

by Dana Houle on Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 11:28:45 AM PST

•  I replied to this in excruciating detail up above (2+ / 0-)
            mataliandy, elwior

check it out

•  Adam, You Shouldn't Switch Between Accounts (2+ / 0-)
              slinkerwink, JT88

You've just mistakenly revealed that you're posting as yourself AND as Lawrence Lessig in the same diary.  Very poor form.

by Dana Houle on Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 11:48:26 AM PST

•  Since Lessig Hasn't Responded... (2+ / 0-)
                  slinkerwink, GOTV

...to anything yet, and only Adam has, it's hard to imagine how that comment makes any sense.  I mean, Lessig's a smart guy, a law professor at a top school, surely he has sufficient facility with English to not write such a confusing and false comment himself.

It's logically impossible for him to have already replied when that's his first reply to anyone.

by Dana Houle on Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 11:56:59 AM PST

•  I don't like sockpuppetry (0+ / 0-)
              •  apologies (2+ / 0-)
                mataliandy, JVolvo

Nope, I don't. I blog under my own name.

As I've written very publicly, I work at Change Congress and I do have admin rights. A supporter wrote in with a Reddit link (we only had Digg up), and I did update the post to put that in. But that's it.

As a full believer in transparency, I'm letting you know what happened. But please, stop ascribing motives.

Larry's in a meeting. I did email him to let you know about your comments. If he responds later, they will be from him.

In the short term, I'll keep commenting. Thanks. (And I look forward to your substantive response to the stuff above.)

•  You're Not Letting Us Know What Happened (0+ / 0-)

Was that comment from the Lawrence Lessig UID by you or by Lawrence Lessig?  And if it was by you, why other than posting his diary would would be posting from the Lawrence Lessig account?

by Dana Houle on Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 12:08:39 PM PST

•  seriously? (4+ / 0-)

I just explained it. Let me insert anything that wasn't 100% obvious:

As I've written very publicly, I work at Change Congress and I do have admin rights. A supporter wrote in with a Reddit link (we only had Digg up), and I did update the post [meaning, the diary] to put that in [that, being the Reddit link]. But that's it.

[As I thought was totally obvious from the subject "apologies", I then wrote a response from me, Adam, without logging in as me, Adam...my bad. Hence, this explanation.]

Larry's in a meeting. I did email him to let [him, Larry] know about your comments. If he responds later, they [comments] will be from him [Larry].

In the short term, I'll [Adam] keep commenting. Thanks. (And I look forward to your substantive response to the stuff above.) [I still look forward to your substantive response...is that coming?]

•  Point Out Where I Ascribed Motives... (1+ / 0-)
                      slinkerwink

...for the posting under two accounts.

As for the rest, it appears you're either playing word games or you're just not able to clearly communicate what you did.  You wrote:

If that was it, it would leave unexplained who posted under the Lawrence Lessig UID.  But apparently that wasn't it, apparently you did the update, then posted a comment yourself without logging out of the Lessig account.  I'll let others ascribe motives to that, and to why you weren't more forthright in explaining what you did, which could have been better explained thusly:

"I logged in to the Lessig account to update the post, didn't bother to log out, and posted the comment under the Lessig UID, which you noticed couldn't have been posted by Lawrence Lessig.  I think logged out of the account and back in to my own user account."

That leaves the intent of the failure to log out of the Lessig account completely up to others to infer.  You could always fill in whether there was any intent or if it was simply accidental.  I won't.

by Dana Houle on Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 12:47:34 PM PST

•  Please tell Larry not to let people use his name (3+ / 0-)
                      DHinMI, slinkerwink, highacidity

I know the professor's work, so I click on the diary, only to find he may not have written the diary, and is apparently not reading responses.  I also learn that the diary takes one issue to advertise a project which is only indirectly related.

This is a "Change Congress" diary, so please register a UID and post as such.

•  That Would Be Good Practice (2+ / 0-)
                        slinkerwink, VincaMajor

A few years ago I managed a campaign and did exactly that: created a user name for the campaign, cleared it with Markos, never mixed my own commenting and blogging with that campaign, created a separate UID for the candidate, and the only time anything was posted by the candidate was when he was there to participate (which he enjoyed quite a bit).

by Dana Houle on Thu Jan 29, 2009 at 05:06:00 PM PST