View Diary: I was let go too, because I am "sickly" (289 comments)

•  40 to 50 miles a day? (2+ / 0-)
    Sui Juris, Neglected Duty

I'm not even sure that's possible in an 8 hr day.

Ablington is a scab at the bending factory. Relentless!

by ablington on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 10:42:31 AM PST

•  Yeah...the google says that the average (1+ / 0-)
      Neglected Duty

pace for women is 3 mph, or 3.5 mph for a man. So, even if you were topping out at 5 mph that would mean a 10 hour day of CONSTANT walking super fast. Are you sure you got your math right?

Ablington is a scab at the bending factory. Relentless!

by ablington on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 10:52:31 AM PST

•  Super-fast is the speed necessary (10+ / 0-)

else one is accused of lollygagging and are written-up as not doing your job.

It was a cheap pedometer so it could be wrong of course.  But I did regularly work 9-12 hour days, sometimes 14, walking at high speed all the way.  We were trained to use machines, but in the first job I had with the company we rarely got to ride them.  There weren't enough to go around.

Other people there wear pedometers and also regularly walk 30 mile range per day.

We are all droogie6655321

by Buckeye BattleCry on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 11:03:55 AM PST

•  Who gives a damn if you were off (5+ / 0-)
          aitchdee, resa, Timbuk3, michaelmas, brein

by a few miles or even ten?
          Christ.
          Anyone who knows about pedometers knows that the cheaper ones do record movement or bumps as steps.
          I had one that i wore and drove home one day.
          By the time I got home it recorded over 400 steps (or 500, or a thousand, I forget, it's not important) that I did not take because of all the bumps I hit on the road.

"Oh no...you changed your hair color? It's just so dark. You like it? And with your skin tone?" My Beloved Mom, December 25 2007, once again on notice.

by Christin on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 11:37:32 AM PST

•  Let's just say I walked a whole lot (14+ / 0-)

I wore out a pair of $60 shoes from the inside out about every 3 weeks, to the point that I could feel every piece of the metal grating I walked on pressing against the bottom of my heels and the ball of my foot.

I bought expensive cushy socks at a sporting goods store.  I bought gel inserts OTC and got an insert that looks sort of like a donut from the podiatrist.  I think those are meant for people with bone spurs (which I didn't have) but they brought me some relief.

I walked so much that I couldn't stop.  Even during breaks and lunch I walked around, because if I stopped the tendons would tighten up and I was in agony if I tried to start walking again.

Most people weren't bothered by the walking.  I definitely was.

Strangely enough, the main complaint by the male types working there is that the insides of their thighs were constantly rubbed raw.

We are all droogie6655321

by Buckeye BattleCry on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 11:49:41 AM PST

•  Plantar fasciitis is not fun (4+ / 0-)
              aitchdee, Special K, Lashe, MsAnimated

I've had it in both legs.

Eventually, two bone spurs in my left heel.

The pain on arising is considerable. I remember walking "tip toe" when I first got up.

Ice, stretching, Ibuprofen, and yes, cortisone shots will help. (though they are uncomfortable)

An insert for your shoe, made by the podiatrist is a must..

Mine is gone, but the bone spurs of course, remain.

If I don't wear the inserts for a few days, I can feel the pain starting to return.

Economic Left/Right: -7.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

by wrights on Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 12:39:59 PM PST

•  I walk a four mile loop and it takes between (1+ / 0-)
        bushondrugs

an hour and ten minutes and an hour and twenty minutes, and I don't walk at all fast (in fact, I read and walk at the same time, which necessitates more of a stroll)