View Diary: DCCC Preliminary Target List Includes Eric Cantor (162 comments)

•  I'm so happy (7+ / 0-)

to finally see Senselessbrenner (Wis 05) targeted.  It's about time.  He hasn't been seriously challenged otherwise he would have gone down by now.  The "Republican" that ran against him in the primary last election didn't really campaign so he never got the votes.

A good Dem, who would really campaign hard, could take on this Rethuglican asshat and make those of us in this (gerryrigged) district very, very happy.

Those who yell do so because their arguments are so weak they can only be supported by massive amounts of hot air. Sue, West Allis, Wisconsin

by Puddytat on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 01:12:16 PM PST

•  Been there, done that (0+ / 0-)

We had a good Democrat run hard against Sensenbrenner. Bryan Kennedy ran a tough, aggressive campaign against him in '04 and '06. And got crushed both times.

I'm sorry, but I live in this district, and I'm completely discouraged. This is the reddest district in Wisconsin, one of the reddest in the Midwest. Sensenbrenner is our Congressman for Life. My only hope is that since I live in a slightly blue corner of the district, that I'll be gerrymandered out of it after the next census. Sensenbrenner is going to die of old age while in office, I swear. I mean, I'm glad they're targeting him, but I don't think it'll matter.

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

by Korkenzieher on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 01:52:29 PM PST

•  I live in this district, too (0+ / 0-)
        Kennedy didn't campaign as hard as he should have.  None of my neighbors even knew anyone was running aginst him until election day for crying out loud.  Average voters aren't aware of all of the candidates - they need to be contacted and given information (the way Obama reached out).

Times have changed.  Senslessbrenners days are numbered if the DCCC puts funds in the district and there is hard campaigning.

by Puddytat on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 02:43:35 PM PST

•  Well... (1+ / 0-)
          BadgerBlue

Bryan Kennedy's campaign kind of picked their spots. If you're in Chenequa, Lac La Belle or Mequon, the affluent parts of the district, you weren't going to see Kennedy for the same reason that Obama didn't campaign in Utah. I live in Whitefish Bay, and Kennedy did campaign there. I think he actually won there and Shorewood and Glendale, but got crushed elsewhere.

Sensenbrenner was in Congress, and was the same obnoxious, smug jerkweed he is now, when I was in high school. And I'm 46 years old. Hence the despair and hopelessness. I just can't imagine the Dems winning this district, but I'll weep with joy the moment I'm proven wrong.

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

by Korkenzieher on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 03:10:16 PM PST

•  He was no where (1+ / 0-)
            Woody
            in West Allis either.  He could have at least sent some mailers and covered the entire 5th Congressional district.

I'm 58 and I agree, Senselessbrenner has a lot of experience being a douchebag as well as an embarrassment.  You can't even contact this asshat even if you pass his zip code test on his website.  He doesn't want to hear from us and his office staff just hangs up unless your an R (there must be a password to get past the expected hangup).

The mood was so different last year with Bush being an albatross around the necks of every Rethuglican.  A Democratic challenger with serious funding and campaigning could have unseated this jerk.

by Puddytat on Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 05:06:38 PM PST

•  That's my take also (1+ / 0-)
            Korkenzieher

Kennedy did what he could with what he had and he improved the second time around, but absent a radical change in redistricting this seat is going to be painted red for a lonnnnnnggggggg time to come.  With the makeup of the district so overloaded with throngs of one-issue voters whether it be anti-tax, pro-gun, anti-immigrant, anti-intellectual, anti-public education, etc., a public university instructor like Kennedy certainly wouldn't have ever made up the difference by handing out leaflets in West Allis of all places.

Sensenbrenner has the advantage on all flanks in this one.  He gets to fly under the radar since he's not well known nationally.  If he were a Senator, and his disgusting behavior and antics were shown on national TV media talk-shows, there might be enough collective anger from enough of the other 49 states that a challenger could get enough of a donor base that Sensenbrenner might have to stick a crowbar in his own fat wallet to keep his seat.  Other than something along those lines happening, this one will not be competitive in 2010.

•  Just how was Kennedy not campaigning hard? (0+ / 0-)

The guy looked like he was putting everything he possibly had into it from what I could see.  It's an awfully big district to knock on every single door and make contact with every single voter when the challenger already has his own 9 to 5 job, a wife and children of his own to contend with as well.  For someone who started out in an area that had virtually no organizational network resembling opposition to the likes of people such as Sensenbrenner, Kennedy at least managed to plant seeds for one to start growing.  Since 2006, he's continued to try to build support for other local candidates through meet-and-greets and hosting fundraisers.  Just because he didn't appear on your doorstep doesn't mean Kennedy was just mailing it in.

Herb Kohl could spend every single dollar of his fortune trying to buy Sensenbrenner's seat and still lose with that district's current demographics.  It's not simply a question of money or having some high wattage big name candidate.  If your hopes of a challenger with enough financial backing and street cred does materialize within the next two years, he or she will benefit from the groundwork and gruntwork that Kennedy was willing to do while knowing full well the odds were incredibly stacked against him.  Kennedy at least wasn't afraid of the very real possibilty of losing.

That's more than I can say about anybody else living in that district for three out of the last five congressional contests.

•  I'm not asking for him to go door to door (0+ / 0-)

Mailers would have helped .... a lot.  They're cheap, easy, and he could have blanketed the entire district with them and provided lots of information to voters.

While he may not have won a lot of votes in Brookfield or other Rethuglican bastions, he would  have had more support.  Senslessbrenners real record is not known by the legions of low information voters.  For example, no one I talked to knew about his infamous turning off the microphones and lights behavior.

Mostly I'm upset that there was no challenger in 2008.  In an election where we saw lots of Rs defeated, Senselessbrenner went unchallenged except in the primary.

by Puddytat on Fri Feb 06, 2009 at 10:58:49 AM PST