View Diary: Creating Jobs Is Not "Wasteful" (259 comments)

•  See, that's why I voted for the guy... (6+ / 0-)

Give 'em hell, Jeff, those spoiled whiny titty babies in Washington need a good dope slap across the back of their pointy little heads.  The job situation is hellacious enough in Portland, I can only imagine how it must suck in the rural counties.  Of course, when the unemployment gets that bad it starts looking like just good economic sense to start cooking meth in the basement--which doesn't help with all those wildfires!  ;^D

Seriously, though, good job and keep it up!

"Nothing's wrong, son, look at the news!" -- Firesign Theater

by SmartAleq on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 03:20:41 PM PST

•  You're not far off. (6+ / 0-)

The flood of meth into Southern Oregon, and the instances of folks "cooking" it to make ANY money at all, it's all tied into the horrible economy that's been there since the collapse of the timber economy.  I know first-hand what happens when folks are broke and desperate.

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine,

And the machine is bleeding to death.

by Marcus Tullius on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 03:25:32 PM PST

•  Oh, I know... (5+ / 0-)

I had friends who lived in Josephine County back ten-twelve years or so ago.  Pretty much everybody grew weed, 'shrooms or had a meth lab I swear.  One friend delivered heating oil and he tells some tales regarding how he had very specific methods of driving into certain properties because A) there were guns trained on him the whole time he was there and B) if he drove into the wrong part of the land the weight of his truck would collapse the underground rooms where the labs were.  Scary stuff, that!

In these towns, when there are like ten possible businesses within a 50 mile radius where it's possible to get a job, and even one of them goes out of business it destabilizes the whole area.  You'd be totally stupid not to have a backup plan and black market enterprises never go out of business...  I find it irritating in the extreme that the federal government has no problem spending millions on DEA raids on our pot growers but they'll balk at spending an equivalent amount to create a few legitimate jobs so that people have a choice.

"Nothing's wrong, son, look at the news!" -- Firesign Theater

by SmartAleq on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 03:40:50 PM PST

•  I am from Josephine County. (2+ / 0-)
          alizard, FarWestGirl

When I worked for the Census in 2000, I really found some, um, "interesting" places, out in the boonies.  I have friends who have done all of those things you mention, and I've been part of various underground economy type enterprises.  And you're right about the DEA spending vs. job creation.  I hope we can finally at least address the job creation part of the equation.  A lot of folks that I still know in JoCo are in desperate shape, including my mom.

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine,

And the machine is bleeding to death.

by Marcus Tullius on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 03:47:05 PM PST

•  one of the places where we need (1+ / 0-)
            SmartAleq

to reduce spending and eliminate jobs is the DEA. Like most "Wars on", the War on Some Drugs is an expensive boondoggle that at best adds nothing to public safety. (the War on Iraq is another good example)

Shut the "Wars on [insert idiocy here]" down and bring the boys home.

Looking for intelligent energy policy alternatives? Try here.

by alizard on Thu Feb 05, 2009 at 08:16:08 PM PST

•  With the new controls on OTC pseudoephedrine (0+ / 0-)

as of a couple of years ago the 'home cooked' meth is no longer much of a problem. It's all coming in overland now, and much less available than it was when they could get the ingredients and stick them in a backpack.

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid