View Diary: Flu And You - Part V (146 comments)

•  Oh really? They can be ignored? (0+ / 0-)

If they are being ignored they sure don't seem to act that way. McIsane is acting like he won the election! He and his fellow repigs are enjoying every minute obstructing Obama's plan. Worst of all they're achieving their goal! Reid being pragmatic has caved to the so called "Centerist" who just butchered the bill  pushing far off center to the right, taking out almost every center and center left proposal. So after all is said and done did Obama and his teams attempt at pragmatic Bipartisanship work? This is something we must learn from. No matter how much logic and intelligent thinking we may apply to creating a working universal health care system we must factor in how we must overcome the Irrational, illogical, mean spirited unethical powerful response of the wingnuts ability to muck it up.

Disabled Viet Vet ret. My snark is worse than my bite

by eddieb061345 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 12:28:43 PM PST

•  they are marginalizing themselves, actually (0+ / 0-)

once the bill passes, the Dr. No contingent will be exposed as out of ideas and out of influence. As a practical matter, Collins, Snowe and Specter are negotiating with the Dems, not McCain.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 12:41:22 PM PST

•  Those who don't learn from history (0+ / 0-)

you know the rest. I thought the Dr. No clan was already exposed after the election! Aren't you ignoring reality here. If they were whupped in the election and still managed kick the crap out of the Dems in battle over a bill desperately needed to save our economy. After all that, even though they  and their ideas were rejected by the voters in Nov. They still had the balls to stand against the bill  almost to a man/woman in both houses. And worst of all they managed to get dems to cave on many important issues to dems a gut a great deal of the bill. In my opinion I think they will be emboldened not deminished by this. As for Collins, Snow and Spector they Are negotiating with the Dems but they're working for the wingnuts.

Disabled Viet Vet ret. My snark is worse than my bite

by eddieb061345 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 01:03:18 PM PST

•  they didn't kick the crap out the the Dems (0+ / 0-)

they were completely ignored in the House and they used the senate as the senate was built to be used.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 01:23:32 PM PST

•  They weren't ignored in the House. (0+ / 0-)

The Dems with out any committment on the Repiglcans part pulled programs like Birth controll services, repairing the D.C. Mall the bill also included Many tax cuts to sweeten itin advance. So what was the response? From the beginning the wingnuts went on a fullcourt press undermining the bill in every and any way they could. They NEVER, never negotiated in good faith. In the Senate once again the Rethugs went into overdrive to mislead and confuse the public in an all out attempt to undermine the President, The Dems and the Stimulus package. There was Never any honest attempt at negotiating in good faith. They forced the Dems back to isolating and soliciting a few Republicans who took full advantage of the stranglehold to gut the bill. Considering as you so clearly observed these badly beaten and weakened thugs who should have had little or no input got up and managed to kick some Democratic ass. All this happened imho because like charlie brown Obama thought this time would be different and the rethugs(lucy) would let him kick the ball right over the goal post and save the nations economy.

Disabled Viet Vet ret. My snark is worse than my bite

by eddieb061345 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 01:44:00 PM PST

•  now you're talking about something else (0+ / 0-)

should Dems be bipartisan at all? Big debate there. I say yes, because it gives you the high ground to say no later if the other side refuses to play (and that's what happened.)

In the end, very few concessions were made in the house, though many were made in the Senate. The House had 95% of what we want.

But as for the end result and outcome? House D's will negotiate with Sen Ds and a few Sen Rs. House Rs are irrelevant.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 01:49:13 PM PST

•  How do you see the outcome? (0+ / 0-)

Will many of the democratic house programs be reinstated? Will a lot of those useless tax cuts be removed? will the sum total of the bill be closer to what Obama originally wanted? If thats the case? I will be happilly converted to your thinking. To me,  if in the end the bill accomplishes 95% of Obama's goals. Frankly I just don't see it happening unless Obama and the Dems go in full attack mode from now on. what do you say

Disabled Viet Vet ret. My snark is worse than my bite

by eddieb061345 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 02:05:16 PM PST

•  honestly, I think that because the conferees (0+ / 0-)

still need 60 votes to pass (a sad fact) we get 80-85%, and some has to be put back or added at a later date. Once Franken is seated, it gets better. But there's no progressive majorit in the Senate, AND that's a lesson for health care.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 02:11:51 PM PST

•  Time for dinner, I win! (1+ / 0-)
                    DemFromCT

Gee I just love always winning every argument and discussion I have! See ya later aligator. :=) LOL

Disabled Viet Vet ret. My snark is worse than my bite