View Diary: The amount of food wasted in American schools (75 comments)

•  It seems that while the (11+ / 0-)

intentions to provide a balanced lunch or breakfast are good -- you can't mandate that children will follow through.  Rather than forcing food on kids who are going to toss it -- thus not consume it -- why aren't they given choices?

You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race. - G.B. Shaw, "Misalliance"

by gchaucer2 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:00:38 PM PST

•  Check the budget (1+ / 0-)
      wondering if

of your local public school.

Boy, do I need a stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:03:54 PM PST

•  Not sure what you mean. (5+ / 0-)

It seems to me it would be more economical to make less rather than more and have it thrown out.

by gchaucer2 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:05:58 PM PST

•  I'm saying (1+ / 0-)
          farbuska

that public school budgets often don't allow for pencils and paper and books, much less "choices" at mealtime.  If you have seen the budget of public schools, you know teachers supplement the classroom materials out of their own pocketbooks.

No child will willingly make the "healthy choice."  By forcing him to have healthy food on his plate, you increase the chance he will eat it.  If it wasn't required, school districts would give them crap and say they "chose" to eat it.  I know, because that's what they used to do.

Boy, do I need a stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:09:24 PM PST

•  We have a friend who has a young... (4+ / 0-)
      gchaucer2, chrome327, debbieleft, farbuska

child (11, or 12) adopted from Haiti.

That girl eats everything on her plate.  She has known real hunger.  You can tell by the way she handles food and has respect for it.

Member of the "Fellows of the Ass Society." Dedicated to reminding people that most knowledge still comes from books. Not Wikipedia.

by David Kroning on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:05:37 PM PST

•  Because nobody believes (2+ / 0-)
      gchaucer2, Cassandra Waites

that most kids don't want a carton of milk with every meal and that serving drinks the kids might actually drink would be infinitely better than serving only the milk that they won't drink and then watching them go through the day on three-quarters the calories and half the fluids they were intended to have.

Math Kos runs Saturdays at midday-ish.

by kyril on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:06:16 PM PST

•  If a kid has bad eating habits at home... (2+ / 0-)
        gchaucer2, farbuska

there is no way you're going to get them to eat healthy at school.

by David Kroning on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:10:23 PM PST

•  Unless they finally figure out (10+ / 0-)

they are going to be hungry -- at that won't take too long.  American cafeteria food is notorious crap at a steep price.  Some school systems (one in CT that I know of) finally figured out the waste problem with the crap.  They set up mini-seminars with the kids and had a discussion about it.  One school system hired a professional chef -- the cost of her salary was more than offset by the huge reduction in waste and cost.  She only buys from local farms -- veggies in season.  Off season, she uses local veggies that have been harvested and frozen.

It took a lot of commitment and discussion to get it implemented, but the kids are generally happy with the change.  The chef even teaches a class in economical cooking.

by gchaucer2 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:19:48 PM PST

•  You would enjoy that program... (2+ / 0-)
            gchaucer2, kyril

but you don't speak French!  They had a chef go to a whole bunch of schools and evaluate their cafeteria and help them develop better strategies.

by David Kroning on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:22:10 PM PST

•  Dang -- too bad I have a tin ear (6+ / 0-)

for languages.  I watched a marvelous video LaFeministe posted in the diary on the High Speed Rail money.  It was of a HSR train in France and everyone was speaking very fast and excitedly -- I understood ten words but got the gist of it.

This morning, I taught a class on making chicken soup.  It was a program for folks who were just making ends meet.  They were shocked at how inexpensive it was -- how far it stretched, and how tasty.  There's no reason school lunches have to taste so lousy.

by gchaucer2 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:26:19 PM PST

•  I bet you would understand... (1+ / 0-)
                kyril

just by watching.

They taught them how to make food kids will eat that was still very nutritious.

I'll see if I can find it for you.

by David Kroning on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:29:00 PM PST

•  I so agree... (0+ / 0-)

Nutritional tasty food can be made so cheaply.  Tonight I made a lentil cold salad out of lentils, red onion, carrot, celery, a little lemon juice, some olive oil and spices.  My husband ate it and he is super picky.  I sat down and figure out it was probably 1.25 at the most for about 4 cups.  I also made a chicken pot pie earlier from scratch, and that  was about 2 or 3 dollars for about a 10" cast iron skillet full of protein and vegetables.  My chicken I got from trader joes - 7 organic chicken legs for 1.26.  I would have no problem feeding myself and my husband for about 150.00 a month.  I choose not to because I work more than full time, but I know I could. If I had extra time, I'd love to teach food stamp recipients how and where to shop and what to cook!!

•  Seems like an obvious solution to the problem (2+ / 0-)
      Cassandra Waites, kyril

and at the same time make a big savings in the school food budget. Perhaps the policy of shoving all this stuff they won't eat on the students made some sense in fatter times, but that's hardly the case now. Sounds as if at least half of the food is being wasted.