View Diary: The amount of food wasted in American schools (75 comments)

•  You had no choice. (0+ / 0-)

You survived.  On the very things the kids are throwing out in the diarist's example.  So why do kids need more choices?

Boy, do I need a stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:11:26 PM PST

•  Um, I wish you could (3+ / 0-)

explain to me where I have indicated that they should have more choices.

They are already eating less than the mandated meals.  Prepare the same number of healthy foods -- if the kids pick fewer, that's a choice.  If they are truly hungry kids who know there's nothing at home -- they will eat more.  It isn't that difficult.

You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race. - G.B. Shaw, "Misalliance"

by gchaucer2 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:14:13 PM PST

•  You said this. (0+ / 0-)

The individual choices can be healthy (1+ / 0-)

kyril

but they should still be choices.

Boy, do I need a stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:17:25 PM PST

•  Who desides (1+ / 0-)
          marina

what "enough food" means? In the end, it's the kid. What difference does it make to the school if he or she makes that decision in line rather than at the table?

Math Kos runs Saturdays at midday-ish.

by kyril on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:20:08 PM PST

•  Again, (0+ / 0-)

repeating myself, I imagine they mandate minimum serving sizes because otherwise some children won't take enough food.  That's the only way to ensure that everyone has enough.  I think the amount of waste we are talking about here is actually not as large as the risks involved in redistributing the food, cutting portions, etc.

Boy, do I need a stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:22:39 PM PST

•  And I ask again (0+ / 0-)

Why does the school think it can make the decision on what "enough food" means better than the child into whose body it's going? If they only want one scoop of half-frozen boiled french "fries," they're not going to eat two whether you put two on the tray or not.

Math Kos runs Saturdays at midday-ish.

by kyril on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:29:11 PM PST

•  if the kid decides in line, doesn't the food get (0+ / 0-)

wasted anyhow? Schools don't save up leftovers for soups and stews, do they?

John Edwards:"One America does the work, another America reaps the rewards. One America pays the taxes, another America gets the tax breaks."

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:57:49 PM PST