View Diary: Our Know Nothings (86 comments)

•  Depriving immigrants of basic services WAS (1+ / 0-)
    Crashing Vor

mentioned during this election.

Legal or otherwise.

And don't take that tone with me.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
    I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
    -Spike Milligan

by polecat on Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 11:05:38 AM PST

•  This 'Mention' (0+ / 0-)

Depriving immigrants of basic services WAS mentioned during this election

No doubt making the modern Republican Party the equivalents of the Know Nothing Party of 1840.

And don't take that tone with me

Scary stuff.

<div style="font-size:10px;text-align:center;background-color:#ffd;color:#f33">If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow - G. Bush

by superscalar on Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 11:16:57 AM PST

•  Superscalar, you obviously have strong feelings (2+ / 0-)
        polecat, Purple Priestess

on this issue, and are clearly capable of generating more than three paragraphs on the subject (your comments and others' replies to them comprise more than a quarter of the entries on this thread).

I look forward to reading your diary on the subject.

grumble grumble mutter mutter

by Crashing Vor on Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 12:14:07 PM PST

•  Why? (0+ / 0-)

I look forward to reading your diary on the subject.

Would my writing a diary on the subject allow you to say something which you would otherwise be unable to say?

Would my writing a diary on immigration/illegal immigration make me somehow more or less credible on the subject(s)?

I have been commenting here on the subjects of immigration/illegal immigration, trade, and economics for about five years, and I don't really believe that writing a diary on one of these subjects is going to add or detract from my credibility re. these subjects.

The last diary I wrote was in 2005, and while I have toyed with the idea of writing a diary on illegal immigration I have yet to come up with a compelling reason to do so. The reason I don't write a diary on the subject is not however due to the fact that I am not able to do so.

by superscalar on Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 12:33:33 PM PST

•  I don't think he meant it that way -- (1+ / 0-)
            Crashing Vor

"Put up or shut up."

Instead I think he meant that you've got strong feelings/opinions on th subject and the format of a diary would be well suited to exploring that.  As well as getting the whole point out (that you're presumably trying to make) and letting us focus on THAT for a topic, instead of this historical retrospective about the rump of the Republican party.

You write it and I'll rec it, as well as participate.  I'd like to see it.

Back to my previous point, and I really was serious -- there is an ugly undertone in the xenophobic Republican party about the services that LEGAL immigrants receive.  (And unemployment and medicare/medicaid and hospital ER use and social security...)  Much less the illegals which they don't take a lot of time to distinguish from the legals.

And if you can't see that then you haven't been looking very hard.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
            I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
            -Spike Milligan

by polecat on Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 12:45:47 PM PST

•  Why? Because you seem to feel so strongly (2+ / 0-)
            polecat, Purple Priestess

on the subject that you have quarter-filled the commentspace in a diary which did not mention the subject of illegal immigration once.  It is obviously a matter on which you have thought much and have much to say.

Perhaps a diary dedicated to the subject would be a more appropriate place for your numerous and deeply felt opinions regards the matter.

grumble grumble mutter mutter

• GOP (21)
  • Spam (21)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Education (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Labor (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Law (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site