View Diary: How Regulation came to be: The Iroquois Theater Fire (63 comments)

•  You know, ours all were long before that. (2+ / 0-)
    dsteffen, marykk

Except by "all" I mean "all the public elementary schools I knew about." I wonder if regulations started to cover parochial schools then, too. Or whether in MD we just had better regs to begin with - or cheaper land, where you could easily build out instead of up. Suburbs made one-story schools a lot easier to build.

Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

by pixxer on Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 07:13:10 PM PST

•  Dunno (2+ / 0-)
      dsteffen, pixxer

but it made a huge change in Illinois.

If you think you're too small to be effective, you've never been in the dark with a mosquito.

by marykk on Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 07:33:09 PM PST

•  Good. It's what... OMG 51 years ago, now? (3+ / 0-)
        dsteffen, trashablanca, Lashe

and I still remember where I was reading the Life Magazine about it. Such a horrific event - I am glad some good resulted, but at what dreadful cost.

Very nice sig :)

by pixxer on Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 09:22:33 PM PST

•  To a certain extent... (2+ / 0-)
      marykk, pixxer

...and without having anything definitive I can point to to support my speculation, I think it was more a change in post-war architectural style than a regulation requirement, although I'm sure there were fire code requirements that would have given some advantage to single-story schools -- exterior fire escapes you wouldn't have to pay for, for instance -- plus liability issues with falls down stairs, etc.

In the case of Our Lady of the Angels, the school, IIRC, was built after 1905, and by the Illinois laws only had to meet the fire code that was in effect at the time it was built, not the more recent 1949 code.  That was one major regulation that changed as a result of the fire.

People with advantages are loath to believe that they just happen to be people with advantages. --C. Wright Mills

by dsteffen on Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 07:35:07 PM PST

•  I really don't know what sent our schools (2+ / 0-)
        dsteffen, trashablanca

into one-storydom. On the post-war theme: that is when suburbia blossomed, is it not? So it could have been just a sprawl effect - plenty of land, easier to build out then up.

Great sig quote, btw.
        -highly advantaged person

by pixxer on Sun Feb 22, 2009 at 09:20:17 PM PST

•  asdf (4+ / 0-)
          sberel, trashablanca, Lashe, pixxer

I think the suburbia angle is a good part of it.  The cities weren't growing as much and didn't have as big a need for building new schools -- and it would be interesting to see how many of the new inner-city schools came about after Our Lady of the Angels and the end of the grandfather clause.

As for the sig, yeah, me too.  Always wanted to do a diary on it, but others who started in a far deeper hole and surmounted far greater obstacles with far less help have written far more eloquent diaries than I ever could expressing their thanks for the help they were given by a socially-concerned public back before the 'greed-is-good' mentality hijacked our country.

A conservative, on teh other hand, born into affluence, put through school on his parent's checkbook, hired into a cushy position via a college alumni network, will be happy to tell you how he's made it on his own and doesn't owe anybody anything.

by dsteffen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 10:37:33 AM PST

•  Well, I am a devout left-liberal (4+ / 0-)
            sberel, dsteffen, trashablanca, Lashe

put through most of college on Daddy's substantial paycheck without my working a day for it, raised in a luxurious suburb, sent to excellent public schools and an outstanding university. I am the daughter of privilege, entirely.

It actually wasn't till my Dad died that I went back to school to get my doctorate, and I think it probably had something to do with its finally being my own... victory, perhaps. (Though of course now I wish Dad had lived long enough for me to talk with him about molecular biology - he would have loved it so!) Foreshadowing that, I actually dropped out of school after 3 years and worked, and then went back, after telling my parents they were no longer supporting me. Too much pampering is not healthy - perhaps I actually figured that out :)

by pixxer on Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 03:48:30 PM PST

•  A little tougher... (5+ / 0-)
              sberel, denise b, trashablanca, Lashe, pixxer

...on my end.  Dad farmed a 160-acre farm on a 50-50 tenant lease at a time when you really were getting to the point of needing 400 - 800 acres to make a decent living on land you didn't own outright.  Without farm programs and a lot of hard work he would have been dead in the water.

I worked summers through college and after 1st semester of my sophomore year, part time 25-35 hours a week through the school year to earn room and board and spending, but I had a scholarship through the state of Illinois for tuition and fees -- although if I didn't state support of higher ed was at something like 95% and tuition and fees at U of IL was $135 per semester.

When Dad died at 48 (I was 25 and on my own by then) Social Security survivors' benefits for my youngest brother and sister helped keep Mom afloat and, along with Pell grants put the last of the kids through college.

It was tough.  We made it -- all but one of us kids earned college degrees, and that was more his choice -- but we owe a lot to society that operated on a whole different mindset than it does today.

by dsteffen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 04:23:27 PM PST

•  All hail that society. (5+ / 0-)
                sberel, alizard, dsteffen, trashablanca, Lashe

When we realized that when one young person gets an education, we are all beneficiaries. Congrads on your success, and your family's, despite the terribly premature loss of your father. I wonder if small farms can survive, now. Perhaps the slow food movement will keep at least a smattering of them going.

by pixxer on Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 06:08:44 PM PST

•  I don't want to make it sound... (4+ / 0-)
                  sberel, trashablanca, Lashe, pixxer

...like some Horatio Alger struggle against all odds, though.  I still had plenty of natural advantages -- I'm white, male, speak English, to the extent I can be identified with an ethnic group, it's a well-assimilated group, was raised a Protestant, etc.  It was tough, yes, because of the economic issues, but it could have been a lot tougher.  And it shouldn't be, for anyone, for any of those reasons, but that's the way it was back then, and I benefited from it.

by dsteffen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 07:03:46 PM PST

• Recommended (129)
  • Community (64)
  • Elections (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Environment (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Culture (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (18)
  • Economy (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Rescued (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site