View Diary: 1000 words, 1000 years (173 comments)

•  Excellent diary, just one thing (12+ / 0-)

That fifth picture? That is not a wheelbarrow being pulled by a bare foot child. It's a baby buggy. Complete with baby inside. We used to have one in my family. Four wheels on springs, it was a great toy!

Just shows how much they lost though. They saved nearly nothing from the flood waters. The buggy (and baby!) went with the family as they escaped.

Wonderful, wonderful diary. The pictures are fabulous!

I Love History. No matter what I learn (retaining is another matter) there's  a thousand times more that I don't know yet. I've seen some of these photos. The accompanying captions give them a whole new meaning.

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same." Carlos Castaneda

by BP in NJ on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 04:39:57 PM PDT

•  I'll edit to reflect that correction. (8+ / 0-)

Thanks for pointing it out.

"The river always wins" - Mark Twain

by Land of Enchantment on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 04:42:59 PM PDT

•  In that picture, I didn't see a woman. No mom? (3+ / 0-)

I think, therefore I am. I think.

by mcmom on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 07:42:06 PM PDT

•  There were a few pictures of that group. (7+ / 0-)

IIRC, some of them had a mom.  Not sure why I picked this one any more.  Or I might be mixing them up with the family walking from Phoenix to San Diego.  Without wheels, carrying a coupla suitcases for 5 people.  Damn, there were some tough times then.

In addition to Lange, one of the treasures of the period was Woody Guthrie.  So many of the stories recorded in his prolific output of songs.  A few well known, but there's so many more.  I've been listening to one (recorded by Arlo) that opens with "on the 14th of April in Nineteen Thirty Five" and goes on form there.  A whole song about the dust storms on that one day.  There's several Woody Guthrie songs about the Dust Bowl.  This is the best picture I've found to show how serious it was:

It'll likely be the lead picture for the planned April 14 diary on the Dust Bowl.  That one's from South Dakota, so not even the heart of the "Dust Bowl", which was Oklahoma and Texas panhandles, much of western Kansas, SE Colorado and NE New Mexico.  A lot of small farm towns were simply abandoned, people having to leave behind all they'd worked for all their lives.  Not able to recoup anything to speak of in selling anything either.

Rough rough times those were.

"The river always wins" - Mark Twain

by Land of Enchantment on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 07:51:23 PM PDT

•  I wondered the same, especially (3+ / 0-)

with an infant present.

by BP in NJ on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 08:25:46 PM PDT

•  There were nine pix in the series... (5+ / 0-)

... of that family.  I think I chose the one I did because it showed the length of highway and sense of space they were tackling better than some of the others.  Plus the barefoot older kid was obvious.  Oh, who knows.  Hard to hold all the many editing decisions I made in mind.  Here's one with mom:

"The river always wins" - Mark Twain

by Land of Enchantment on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 08:40:58 PM PDT

•  Thanks LoE! (2+ / 0-)
            Land of Enchantment, MKSinSA

Though it couldn't possibly be relevant now, I felt even worse thinking the children didn't have a mother.

by BP in NJ on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 08:48:53 PM PDT

•  There's more than a few pix... (3+ / 0-)
              KenBee, MKSinSA, BP in NJ

... of motherless children in that motherlode.  Childbirth under those Dust Bowl refugee conditions was rough at best.  Birth control not exactly readily available either.  Hell, they had a hard time getting decent drinking water, and even minimal toilet facilities.

No shortage of heartbreaking stories to be found.  Part of what took me so long getting ready for this diary was cataloging it all well enough that I can find things again.  The Library of Congress database sucks for that purpose.  You can't even bookmark a picture with its bibliographic info - it all comes up in expiring search results.  Argh!!

"The river always wins" - Mark Twain

by Land of Enchantment on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 08:55:51 PM PDT

•  Ugh (2+ / 0-)
                Land of Enchantment, MKSinSA

I would have expected better from the LoC.

by BP in NJ on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 09:04:43 PM PDT

•  Better than the National Archives... (2+ / 0-)
                  KenBee, BP in NJ

... which doesn't have hardly any of its pictures online.  Having researched there in person, it drives me nuts that I can remember pictures that can't be accessed online.

It's a information infrastructure project that's much needed in the "stimulus" plan.  We need some relief for IT types whose jobs have been getting outsourced, as sure as we need it for construction workers.  Getting all that stuff online in a user-friendly form.  Those searches go stake in like an hour of inactivity.  If you click around every half hour or so, you can keep them alive for a bit longer.

Damned nuisance if you're doing significant volume of research.  Take a lunch break, and you can't pick up where you left off.

"The river always wins" - Mark Twain

by Land of Enchantment on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 09:14:52 PM PDT

•  You can't touch the LoC stuff in person (1+ / 0-)
                    Land of Enchantment

Even if you're a member of the Library! Members of Congress do have their own reference room, but I think they don't pull their own materials.

by BP in NJ on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 09:31:17 PM PDT