View Diary: 1000 words, 1000 years (173 comments)

•  My father had to leave the family farm to make (4+ / 0-)

it on his own, as only so many sons could actually make it on the farm. He was in the CCCs for a while. He also got paid a dollar a foot for a digging a three foot trench with nothing but a shovel, for a water line in a small Idaho town. When I was a baby, he nearly died of a tumor on his spine, as his internal organs were shutting down. A "woman doctor" in Boise finally diagnosed the tumor, and while it was removed, it took him more than a year to learn to walk again. He managed to work, though, moving our family to Portland where he found work on Liberty ships (there were thousands of Idaho families in Portland who left for war work), then provided for our family on union wages, and retired early, due to complications from the damage done by the tumor. When he was growing up, times were good on the farm, and my grandfather managed a new car every couple of years, so my father too, was not raised in poverty, but had to face it under difficult physical circumstances.

I think, therefore I am. I think.

by mcmom on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 07:53:09 PM PDT

•  I had a friend in PDX whose parents... (4+ / 0-)

... had come out to the shipyards all the way from West Virginia.  They came from all over.  Did your family get caught up in the Vanport flood, too?  Not widely remembered, but quite the disaster in its day.

"The river always wins" - Mark Twain

by Land of Enchantment on Sun Apr 05, 2009 at 08:06:38 PM PDT

•  My grandparents lived in the housing at (1+ / 0-)
        Land of Enchantment

Vanport for a while, but moved before the flood. I was alive, but have no memory of the flood, just my parents' discussion about why they had bad feelings about the Red Cross, but admired how the Salvation Army was helpful to the survivors of the flood.

I think, therefore I am. I think.

by mcmom on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 09:03:57 AM PDT

•  Salvation Army (1+ / 0-)
          mcmom

Dorothea Lange took a lot of pix of them in action - my guess is approaching 100 of them in the archive of 4000 at LoC.  Perhaps she shared your family's admiration for them?

BTW, are you planning to go to Netroots Nation in Pittsburgh this summer?  It would be great to meet face to face.

"The river always wins" - Mark Twain

by Land of Enchantment on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 09:46:35 AM PDT

•  Afraid not. I got a puppy for my birthday, and (1+ / 0-)
            Land of Enchantment

would not leave Joe to deal with her. Belle is half Cairn terrier, and half Jack Russell "terriorist." And, Joe has health issues that make it nearly impossible for me to be away for more than a day. At least I worry about him.

I think, therefore I am. I think.

by mcmom on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 07:54:47 PM PDT

•  Lange did a huge number of photographs... (4+ / 0-)

... out in Malheur County (SE Oregon).  There were some homestead-esque arrangements there.  People fleeing Oklahoma and the Dust Bowl to start over there - of all places.  Gorgeous country, but harsh and not very forgiving.

Enabled by Bureau of Reclamation projects.  BoR's one of my least favorite agencies from the New Deal days.

"The river always wins" - Mark Twain