View Diary: Why We Should Stay In Afghanistan (167 comments)

•  The US isn't interested in setting up anything (10+ / 0-)

but a puppet regime that will accede to it's self interests.  When have we cared about a country we destabilized through terrorism before?  Indonesia, Guatemala, Haiti, Sudan, the list is endless of countries we've ruined.  I just read a piece about the CIA in Afghanistan after the Russians left.  This is not what it seems.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 02:42:20 PM PST

•  How do you know that? (4+ / 0-)

I am part of the US and I have no interest in that. You are part of the US and you have no interest in that. President Obama is part of the US and he clearly does not have any interest in that. History is very important, but it does not require that we act exactly the same way every time.

Getting Dems together and keeping them that way is like trying to herd cats, hopped up on crank, through LA, during an earthquake, in the rain. -6.25, -6.10

by Something the Dog Said on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 02:44:33 PM PST

•  I've been studying the CIA for a few weeks now (4+ / 0-)

Here's a pretty good summary, but it only goes to 1995.

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 02:46:58 PM PST

•  Thanks I'll read it! (1+ / 0-)
          BigAlinWashSt

I love this place, you ask a question and you get an answer!

by Something the Dog Said on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 02:49:24 PM PST

•  Also read the books referenced in the endnotes (0+ / 0-)

What I know I read in William Blum's Killing Hope, an outstanding book.  The other book I will get.  Thanks for this link.

My sister (not a reader of political and military and economic history) said to me that we may have done some bad things, but not many.  You list and those books contradict her opinion.

...do the elites...actually believe that society can be destroyed by anyone except those who lead them? - John Ralston Saul -

by Silverbird on Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 11:34:59 AM PST

•  Well, I think you and I agree (0+ / 0-)

on that point at the very least. We have done a lot of things that can only be described as bad. It is part of the horror of war, but that does not let us off the hook in terms of owning it.

by Something the Dog Said on Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 11:45:55 AM PST

•  Gee, and that is part of the reason (1+ / 0-)
                Something the Dog Said

I feel we don't own the country.  In my frame of reference "owning" it feed into the perception of American Exceptionalism, that we can help other countries achieve heights they would not reach without our assistance.  The big problem I see is we are not disinterestedly interested in other countries.  What we seek is advantage and to exploit them.  Sorry that I think that is what America has come to in the world.

However, this is a very good discusscion conducted in a civil manner and you deserve compliments on somehow maintaining that tone in this diary, SomethingTDS.  Good job.  Great discussion.

by Silverbird on Wed Feb 25, 2009 at 12:23:52 PM PST

•  You and I don't count (2+ / 0-)
        Silverbird, BigAlinWashSt

"The US" in this sense means the corporate interests that really count, and that really run this country.

Maybe things will change under Obama... we'll see.

Tinfoil! ...it's the new black!

by mosesfreeman on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 02:47:18 PM PST

•  Which is what "American interests" around the (2+ / 0-)
          Silverbird, mosesfreeman

world really means.  And the CIA will do and has done just about anything to protect those interests.

by BigAlinWashSt on Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 02:48:45 PM PST