View Diary: The Rotten Core of Populism. (79 comments)

•  Defending the work itself. (3+ / 0-)
    theran, bronte17, Terra Mystica

Against the corporate drive for greater profits by locating/relocating work where labour is cheap and the people easily abused.

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.~Terry Pratchett

by LaFeminista on Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 04:39:02 AM PST

I don't see American Labor Unions falling into that trap.  The big fight now is against offshoring, particularly against companies that plan to take stimulus or bailout money, then offshore, as IBM is currently doing.  H1B visas are also a problem because they enable these companies to set up their offshore units comfortably by bringing in their future employees to train in the US, then sending them home to start up the new office.

In fact, I hear very little from US labor organizations excluding "foreigners" per se.  Rather, what I'm hearing is that workers here who are not citizens should be given paths to citizenship, and be encouraged to stay and work alongside everyone else.  (Assuming there's anything left to work at.)

•  My problem is that there appears to (2+ / 0-)
        mem from somerville, theran

be little distinction.

I work as an expat in another country, I have had the same comments aimed at me. I just say find someone else who does it better and I will leave. Quite frankly all that is needed is that they cancel my contracts since I work for myself.

by LaFeminista on Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 04:52:04 AM PST

•  And so the model of your sad life (5+ / 0-)

should be the model for everybody?

Not everyone wants to play by your rules. A lot of people want to stay where they grew up. In a lot of cultures, the graves of one's ancestors, one's parents, the children one may have lost, is an important part of one's identity.

"Can't cut it? Move on!" is not the rule most of us want to live by. You've been accommodated; congratulations.

If you kids don't behave, I'm turning this universe around RIGHT NOW! - g_d

by Clem Yeobright on Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 05:01:52 AM PST

•  That is an excellent model of a life-- (2+ / 0-)
            theran, LaFeminista

to have used one's skills and education to create an important niche is absolutely a worthy model.  And very American.

I wish more people got sufficient educational system support for that.  I wish we taught entrepreneurship for more people.  Because it is possible to create a life and a living where you grew up.

Darwinic pilgrims claim the image fills them with an overwhelming feeling of logic. --The Onion

by mem from somerville on Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 07:44:45 AM PST

•  One's personal experience (4+ / 0-)

isn't very useful in arguing about trends.  I would find it hard to reconcile your stance in "fighting for the work" vs. "just find someone who does it better and I will leave."

Your situation probably isn't causing a great deal of harm to anyone, unless you're part of a larger corporate effort to undermine the local workforce.

However, the same laws that would allow you to work at any job you liked in a foreign country would also allow large companies to ship in platoons of foreign labor (which they have done), claiming that "the skills don't exist here", (which is a lie), and then lambasting anyone who objects as a populist.

This is a trap we'd better not fall into.

•  I did not mean it as a be all and end all (1+ / 0-)
            theran

the argument is in the body of the diary not my short reply.

by LaFeminista on Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 08:39:33 AM PST

•  I don't understand the point of your comment then (1+ / 0-)
              pkbarbiedoll

if it's not meant to be a comment that uses your own personal experience to prove your wider point, then how is it relevant?

•  Do you understand English? (0+ / 0-)

"be all and end all" mean anything to you?

Its a part not the whole.

Sheesh.

by LaFeminista on Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 09:18:41 AM PST

•  No need to be insulting (1+ / 0-)
                  pkbarbiedoll

Do you understand how to write for comprehension?

I fully understand "be all and end all".  Do you understand that people expect that when you reply to a comment, it's meant to add to the discussion?  To further your point, or to argue against another point?

Do you commonly just blabber out words with no intention that they mean anything at all in the discussion?

I recommend against that if you'd like people to understand what you're saying.  I'd also recommend against insulting people who are simply trying to join in a conversation you started in a public place.

Its a part not the whole.

I asked how this part of your argument was meant to support your argument, and your answer was..."Well it's not my whole argument!"

Nonsense.

•  Nice doublespeak (0+ / 0-)

Sunshine on my shoulders...

by pkbarbiedoll on Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 07:06:23 AM PST

•  It should be noted (0+ / 0-)

That American unions are (because of their rather dire situation) happy to organize any worker.  It's the populist right that doesn't recognize the rights of all workers.

"Dream for just a second and then do it!" -- Kolmogorov

by theran on Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 07:10:41 AM PST