View Diary: Obama Takes on Teachers Unions - Thank You! (198 comments)

•  Read the Heritage Foundation study.... (0+ / 0-)

Let's all be part of the solution rather than part of the problem and quit playing petty politics at the expense of our children.

•  Would that be the Conservative Think Tank... (2+ / 0-)
      otto, Little

... Heritage Foundation? Or are you speaking of some Heritage Foundation that exists in Never Never Land?

Regards,
      Corporate Dog

-----
      Still pissed about FISA, but disgusted by the RNC 9/11 video.

by Corporate Dog on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 12:04:15 PM PDT

•  So US Dept of Education stats are incorrect? (0+ / 0-)

Facts are facts, whether so-called Conservative or Liberal "think-tanks".

And your point was?????

•  The stats are correct. (1+ / 0-)
          Little

The conclusion drawn from those stats is biased.

Regards,
          Corporate Dog

PS: I still haven't seen you post a link to your precious neocon study. I assume you're talking about this one...?

Their basic argument boils down to "Education spending is up, so why aren't we seeing better results in our schools?" which doesn't really speak to WHY spending is up, and what that money's being spent on.

Here's something from that exact study, that sort of deflates your argument, by the way:

Eric Hanushek has studied the effect of per-pupil expenditures on academic outcomes, finding either no relationship or a relationship that is either weak or inconsistent.[17]  However, research­ers Larry V. Hedges and Rob Greenwald analyzed the same data used by Hanushek and concluded that increasing per-pupil expenditures has a signifi­cant positive impact on student achievement.[18]

I give them credit for acknowledging that resource allocation makes a difference in whether or not funding helps with performance, but then they sort of drop that line of thinking altogether, and don't indicate which areas spending WOULD make a difference in.

Fortunately, I linked to a study down below which makes that extra bit of effort, and finds that hiring more teachers, thereby reducing the student-to-teacher ratio, makes for a MAJOR difference in student performance.

-----
          Still pissed about FISA, but disgusted by the RNC 9/11 video.

by Corporate Dog on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 12:42:59 PM PDT

•  Neocon? Neocom? (0+ / 0-)

Again, funding is NOT the issue, and neither is the student-teacher ratio.

If your ilk wants to keep scurting the issue at the expense of the children, I guess that is your prerogative, but I would rather focus on the root issues; lack of parent involvement, lack of student interest, lack of teacher accountability, too much government interference.

•  You keep saying that. (1+ / 0-)
              Little

Again, funding is NOT the issue.

Now close your eyes, click your heels, and IT WILL BE TRUE!

Regards,
              Corporate Dog

-----
              Still pissed about FISA, but disgusted by the RNC 9/11 video.

by Corporate Dog on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 12:51:59 PM PDT

•  You are too funny (0+ / 0-)

Quit pretending you are serious about the truth. The Heritage Foundation is not in the business of finding the truth and they are not in the business of research in the actual sense. They are totally funded and underwritten by conservative groups and have as a mission the support of those groups.

Why don't you be part of the solution an actually find some actual studies by real think tanks.

"You know, just because the thing I saw wasn't there doesn't mean there wasn't something there that I didn't see." Ann Althouse, Conservative Thoughtmeister

by Bill Section 147 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 03:10:17 PM PDT

•  Statistics. Yes. I am sure those don't lie. (0+ / 0-)

I am sure the Heritage Foundation has tons of "studies" that don't disagree with government statistics.

You can cherry-pick your intelligence and your stats.

It does not make it true.

by Bill Section 147 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 03:02:26 PM PDT

•  The Heritage Foundation is not reliable (0+ / 0-)

I might as well say, you should review the Teacher's Union study.

The Heritage Foundation is a political organization.

When I want Republican talking points I will consider studies by the Heritage Foundation.

by Bill Section 147 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 02:59:44 PM PDT