View Diary: Obama Takes on Teachers Unions - Thank You! (198 comments)

•  False: Class size does NOT improve performance (0+ / 0-)

The student-to-teacher ration in 1961 was 30:1, while it was 23:1 in 1998, yet there was no overall improvement as measured by standardized tests.

The real factors are student performance and teacher performance.

Quit clouding the issue with talk about funding and student/teacher ratios and let's tackle the real problem of accountability; student, parents and teacher.

•  Now compare (1+ / 0-)
      Corporate Dog

The rates of divorce from 1961 to today.  Compare the number of families with a stay at home parent.  Compare the number of hours of media exposure vs. hours of school.

Secondly, the numbers you are using may or may not include only classroom teachers.  Generally, those numbers are used by taking into account all certificated people in the building.

Can you support your numbers by telling me if in 1961 the number was calculated using all certificated teachers in a building?

Can you tell me how either of your numbers were arrived at?

The real issue is the parents, family structure, and the economics of having a family.

As a teacher and a parent, my motto is that every student is home schooled.  If parents don't have the time or ability to work with their children, then there will be a massive drop off.

The point I think we need to take home is that comparing school systems whether they be from different times or different countries is not as simple as we would like it to be.

"Most of them arrived via public transit."

by otto on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 12:21:56 PM PDT

•  Agreed. Real issue is parents, student, teachers (0+ / 0-)

So why are people wasting their time talking about funding and teacher-student ratios?

We need 1) responsible, two-parent families, who take an interest in their child's education, 2) we need students to attend class, do their homework, delay gratification, and 3) we need teachers who care, and the vast majority do.

The lack of two-parent households stems from people being irresponsible and a government that enables them.

•  I was responding to your nonsense (1+ / 0-)
          Corporate Dog

you make assertions without any backup.  You gave a figure for student to teacher ratios.  I asked you for some validation, but you are unable to do so.

Is the government enabling you right now?  That's a bad question, because it is.  I mean, you are using the internet, a government created piece of infrastructure.

When I say two parents working, I am talking about two parent households in which both parents are working.

That is one of the main reasons that kids have a high media exposure.

I don't debate the Randbos.  They are irrational.

Go Galt!

"Most of them arrived via public transit."

by otto on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 12:55:44 PM PDT

•  Otto, keep dancing around the issue... (0+ / 0-)

Sad to say, you are part of the problem and not the solution.

You are a nice toady for the failed, government-run school monopoly.

I suppose you also believe the government "creates" jobs!

•  Psst: your true colors are shining through. (0+ / 0-)

Sort of a reddish tint.

You might want to seek professional help for that.

Regards,
              Corporate Dog

-----
              Still pissed about FISA, but disgusted by the RNC 9/11 video.

by Corporate Dog on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 01:01:04 PM PDT

•  If you think that schools were better in 1961 (1+ / 0-)
              Corporate Dog

What was the top marginal tax rate then?

"Most of them arrived via public transit."

by otto on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 01:01:11 PM PDT

•  PS! (1+ / 0-)
              Corporate Dog

Go Galt already.

I want you Randbos, Free Market Fundamentalists, and Anarcho-capitalists to get some island already so I don't have to deal with the irrationality that comes with someone simply relying on Heritage Foundation reports to prop up you misguided thinking that has no basis in the actual world.

"Most of them arrived via public transit."

by otto on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 01:05:55 PM PDT

------

•  Dude (1+ / 0-)
                  Corporate Dog

I don't base my life on a fictional character in a work of fiction that was written by some cocktail circuit philosopher.

talk about Kool-Aid.

Go Galt!

Did you know that the first settlers at Jamestown were mostly listed as "Gentleman" as occupation?

Guess what happened to them?

"Most of them arrived via public transit."

by otto on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 01:11:53 PM PDT

•  I suppose you think man creates Global Warming (0+ / 0-)

I am done wasting my time with you twits.

•  Neat, a climate denier, too (0+ / 0-)

They all died.  It's because they didn't realize that the people who do the real work aren't the upper class.

"Most of them arrived via public transit."

by otto on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 01:14:34 PM PDT

•  Another Gorebull Smarmer (0+ / 0-)

And I suppose you drank the kool-aid in the mid-1970s around Global Cooling as well.

•  Oh, that one Time article? (0+ / 0-)

I know about the issue because I have spoken directly with the scientists who study the sea ice.

I have spoken with the people who actually measure the thickness of the ice sheets in the Arctic.  I have seen the data first hand.

The ice age crap you are talking about is from one or two articles.

Geez, I have even less respect for you than when I thought you were just an irrational Ayn Rand fetishist.  Now you seem more like a RW kneejerk reactionary.

Oh well.  I once had a dream.

Let me ask you something.  When you go to the doctor and you get some medicine, do you have at least some trust that the medicine will work?

If you do, then why do you trust the scientists who create that medicine, but not the scientists who measure historic CO2 levels in the atmosphere and the scientists who measure the ice sheets?

"Most of them arrived via public transit."

by otto on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 01:20:56 PM PDT

•  Why do you trust the models? (0+ / 0-)

Computer models have proven to be wildly inaccurate.

People want to engage in carbon trade nonsense when "man" only has a negligible impact on atmospheric CO2.

Let's cripple the economy even further without a measurable impact on the climate.

I suppose you worship Michael Moore's work as well.

Open your eyes and observe reality.

•  I have seen the actual data (0+ / 0-)

I have never seen Fahrenheit 911.  I don't worship anyone.

The scientists I spoke with, the ones who measure the actual thickness of the ice sheets, they are the ones who shared their data with me.

That, and I understand why CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and Oxygen isn't.

I don't think this is a productive discussion, because you don't believe in science, and I do.

I'll leave it at that, because I have to fold the laundry.

"Most of them arrived via public transit."

by otto on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 01:30:15 PM PDT

•  Oooh. Ooooh. Next, you should... (0+ / 0-)

... stick it to him by telling him that gay, abortionist, ivory-tower eggheads like himself are what's REALLY causing the economy to tank.

Then you should go out to Hollywood (yes, yes, I know) and try to get a job at Central Casting, because you're playing your role to a T.

Regards,
                            Corporate Dog

-----
                            Still pissed about FISA, but disgusted by the RNC 9/11 video.

by Corporate Dog on Tue Mar 10, 2009 at 01:30:59 PM PDT