View Diary: "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" (263 comments)

•  We cannot buy into the right wing language. (11+ / 0-)

"A doctor who provided abortions" is acceptable. "An abortion provider" or "an abortion doctor" is not. There is no such profession.

I'm sorry...I am adamant about this. And I'm running out the door for the day, so don't have time to engage in a longer, more thoughtful response to your comment.

Sweet are the uses of adversity...Find tongues in the trees, books in the brooks, and good in everything. -Shakespeare, As You Like It.

by earicicle on Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 05:25:43 AM PDT

•  I don't see that such is a matter (6+ / 0-)

but I am willing to change to the words in quotes -   the fact that Slepian did abortions is key

I also do not think using accurate language, which I did, should be avoided merely because the language has been misused by others.  Better to reclaim the language.

But I will accept your suggestion in this comment.

Peace.

do we still have a Republic and a Constitution if our elected officials will not stand up for them on our behalf?

by teacherken on Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 05:36:22 AM PDT

•  I understand what each of you is saying, (8+ / 0-)

but, in referring to Dr. Slepian as an "abortion provider", Ken, you are inferring that abortion care was the main portion of his practice, which it wasn't. I have to say that I agree with earicle on this. I also get a bit frustrated when people refer to the New Woman, All Women Clinic that was bombed by Eric Rudolph as an "abortion clinic," as if that was the only thing they did. While I realize that the fact that both Dr. Slepian and the women's clinic provided abortion care is the reason they were targeted, I think that it is undermining the entirety of their work to label them as such.

"Truth never damages a cause that is just."~~~Mohandas K. Gandhi -9.38/-6.26

by LynneK on Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 06:00:18 AM PDT

•  the issue is not the main part of his practice (5+ / 0-)
          raincrow, jkshaw, LynneK, mamamarti, earicicle

it was the part of the practice that engendered a violent action against someone doing a perfectly legal act.  I refuse to ignore that in my phrasing.

And please note, in the comment to which you responded I agreed to change the language to "doctor who provided abortions"  as was suggested in the comment to which I responded.

by teacherken on Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 06:13:19 AM PDT

•  teacherken... (1+ / 0-)
            LynneK

I just got home from a long day, so my apologies for this late comment reply.

I appreciate your edit (although, NB: ear + icicle = earicicle...I know, it's a long story!). But please see and consider my reply to LynneK's comment in this thread. We must firmly reject how the anti-abortion extremists took control of the language of choice. Terms like "pro-life" and "abortion doctor" are abhorrent to me.

As a writer, I wrestle with and pick over nuances of language all day, every day. So I don't mean to fuss at you over this! I just find this particular issue to be extremely important. We have to take back the language as part of taking back the issue.

Thanks for listening! ;-)

by earicicle on Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 03:51:25 PM PDT

•  Thank you, LynneK. (2+ / 0-)
          LynneK, Ms Citizen

Even "doctor who provided abortions" makes me a bit uncomfortable, frankly. He was also a "doctor who provided Pap smears" and a "doctor who performed breast examinations" and a "doctor who delivered babies." He was not murdered for these aspects of his practice, as teacherken rightly points out. But Kopp murdered a MAN and a PHYSICIAN, not a PROCEDURE that he opposed.

The label "abortion clinic" is equally abhorrent. My gynecologist's practice is in the basement of the local Planned Parenthood clinic. And there are frequently a few protestors standing across the street. The elevator has security cameras, and the receptionist has to buzz you in a the office door.

It greatly undermines the entirety of Dr. Slepian's life--and the work of women's health centers--to buy into the right wing language and label them only as "abortion providers" and "abortion clinics."

by earicicle on Wed Mar 11, 2009 at 03:47:01 PM PDT