View Diary: MI-12: Shocker: Sandy Levin facing a serious primary challenge (47 comments)

•  That's a whole ball of stupid right there. (4+ / 0-)

Michigan Democrats have entirely too much on their plate for 2010 to be dealing with a vanity challenge from Switalski. We've got a governor's race that we don't have a snowball's chance of winning, 38 Senate races that are absolutely crucial to the future of Michigan, 110 House races, two top tier Congressional districts we have to hold in the 7th and the 9th (and you can be damned sure the RNC is coming after Schauer and Peters), the AG race (Mike Bishop over my dead body), the SoS race (ditto for Michelle McManus), and the granddaddy of them all, taking out Robert Young on the Supreme Court. We need all hands on deck and every dime of Democratic money in these races. We can't be wasting it on stupid shit like this.

What have you done today to make you feel proud?

by PerfectStormer on Sat Mar 21, 2009 at 09:46:41 PM PDT

•  How come we don't have a chance of winning MI-Gov (0+ / 0-)

I know Granholm isn't popular, but isn't she retiring?

•  Granholm is term-limited, yes. (2+ / 0-)
        Cordelia Lear, chrome327

At the moment, the frontrunner is Lt. Governor John Cherry.

I don't think it's as dire as PerfectStormer makes it out to be, but the GOP has quite a few big guns running (SoS Terry Land, Atty Gen Mike Cox, etc). Most of the bigger name Dems in Michigan have chosen to sit this one out (Dennis Archer, for instance).

On the other hand, it's also possible that the GOP will have an extra-bloody primary.

•  Not retiring, per se. (1+ / 0-)
        Brainwrap

She's term limited out.

(Fellow Michigan bloggers, you've already read the following from me, so you can skip it!) The only credible person who's stepped up to run on the Dem side is John Cherry, and frankly...not gonna happen. The Republicans are running Pete Hoekstra and Terri Land (Mike Cox seems to think he's running, but with the Secchia fiasco going down I doubt he's going to go much further), either one of whom would absolutely wipe the floor with Cherry. Cherry has the same problems Al Gore had in 2000: he's about as interesting as watching paint dry and he carries around the Granholm legacy, which is political napalm right now. I'm a dyed in the wool yellow dog Dem, and given the choice between Terri Land and John Cherry, I'm pulling the lever for Land. The Dems need a Hail Mary, and so far no one seems to be interested. I've heard rumors about Bob Ficano, but I'm not holding my breath.

What have you done today to make you feel proud?

by PerfectStormer on Sat Mar 21, 2009 at 10:11:29 PM PDT

•  You'd seriously vote for Land over Cherry?? (1+ / 0-)
          chrome327

I admit not to knowing enough about him, but as far as I know, he's a decent enough Democrat and politician. Not the greatest stage presence, but solid.

If you're asking whether he'd lose to Land, you could be right, but why would you vote for her?

•  Just one quibble .... (1+ / 0-)
          Brainwrap

Gore won Michigan quite easily, and of course, won the election.  I think 2000 taught people that sometimes it's not so good to vote for the cool and exciting guy.

•  Ouch Stormy (4+ / 0-)

Land over Cherry? You might want to rethink that. Terry Lynn Land is off the complete right side of the page. She would like to reverse many of the issues and rights that I hold sacred.

There's lots of time for more Dems to get in the race --- almost a year yet.

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." The Importance of Being Earnest, Act I, Oscar Wilde, 1895

by Cordelia Lear on Sat Mar 21, 2009 at 10:22:29 PM PDT

•  I retract my earlier statement. (2+ / 0-)
            Brainwrap, Cordelia Lear

What I obviously meant to say was that given the option of Land vs. Cherry, I'd give it an extra three seconds of thought before pulling the D lever like I always do.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record and it probably seems like I'm on a mission to sandbag LGJC, which I'm totally not. I just pray that someone else steps up. And not Andy Dillon. Dennis Archer was the obvious choice, but he's not running. My personal first choice is running for another big race. I keep racking my brain for names and coming up empty, unless Virg Bernero wants to run.

What have you done today to make you feel proud?

by PerfectStormer on Sat Mar 21, 2009 at 10:28:22 PM PDT

•  I still don't see why you'd need the extra... (1+ / 0-)
              Cordelia Lear

...seconds of thought.

If Cherry is a bad Democrat (too centrist, too DLC, personal scandals or whatever), I could see your point, but if your only concern is that he's dull/anchored by Granholm's repuation/whatever, that's silly.

Now, those might be valid reasons to vote for someone else in the primary, but if he does win the nomination, the choice is between a 'dull' Dem and (presumably) a wingnut Republican.

•  Whew... (1+ / 0-)
              PerfectStormer

OK. I hear you.

I wouldn't be thrilled with Andy Dillon as a candidate for gov. either.

I keep hoping that Bob Ficano tosses his hat into the ring.

by Cordelia Lear on Sat Mar 21, 2009 at 10:38:02 PM PDT

•  Virg? Um. No. There's a reason there are (2+ / 0-)
              LakeSuperior, dougymi

"Purge Virg" and "Anyone But Virg" signs all over Lansing.  Just because he gave a passionate interview on Fox does not make him Gov. material.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and suck forever.

by second gen on Sat Mar 21, 2009 at 11:26:23 PM PDT