View Diary: NY Republicans fight changes to Rockefeller Drug Laws (39 comments)

•  Why are you against legalizing drugs? (2+ / 0-)
    Cedwyn, viscerality

How do you define "drugs"?

It took a Constitutional Amendment to prohibit alcohol and the repeal to allow it. Why should this not be true for drugs as well? Why should the govt be allowed to stop me from ingesting what I wish?

•  Are you a parent? (1+ / 0-)
      soms

President Obama, are aliens real?

by David Kroning on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 06:24:06 AM PDT

•  No, but that has nothing to do with it. (1+ / 0-)
        viscerality

Do you cease being a parent when your child turns 18?21? Alcohol is a drug. Nicotine is a drug. They are legal, and it is likely that your child will try one or both during their lifetimes. Do you think that they should be made illegal since they are far more damaging than marijuana, both to the individual and society?

•  It most certainly does have everything to do (1+ / 0-)
          soms

with it.

Your statement, and the statement most other people who want legalization, is incredibly individualistic and selfish.

I don't want my child learning that recreational drug use is an acceptable thing to do in society.  I don't want the odor of pot to be ubiquitous.

President Obama, are aliens real?

by David Kroning on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 06:40:30 AM PDT

•  Then teach your child that (5+ / 0-)
            Woody, Cedwyn, LostInTexas, viscerality, plf515

and don't put him/her at risk of a lengthy prison sentence for being a normal teenager and trying some of the forbidden fruit.

I am a warrior for peace. And not a gentle man... Steve Mason, 1940-2005

by Wayward Wind on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 06:44:18 AM PDT

•  I don't believe smoking pot is... (1+ / 0-)
              soms

part of the "normal" teen experience.  I never did it, my wife never did it and most of the people I know never smoked pot.  I disagree with the idea that experimenting with drugs is some kind of right of passage.

President Obama, are aliens real?

by David Kroning on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 06:50:15 AM PDT

•  Normal is an elusive term (0+ / 0-)

when trying to describe growing up - far too many societal, economic, even geographical variables.  I know lots of folks who never smoked pot - until they went to Vietnam.

There are folks in prison in NY - and in every state along Interstate 95 -  right now who were in college in the 80 and 90s, had no prior criminal history, ran out of money on spring break in Florida, and agreed to drive a car back to NY for money from some guy they met in a bar.  They get caught, and learn all about mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines.

Life ruined.

I am a warrior for peace. And not a gentle man... Steve Mason, 1940-2005

by Wayward Wind on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 06:59:24 AM PDT

•  Most of the people you know (2+ / 0-)
                LostInTexas, plf515

don't trust you with the truth.

"extremist civil libertarian ben masel" - IHateBush, 3/27/09

by ben masel on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 07:32:50 AM PDT

•  neither did I. (1+ / 0-)
                David Kroning

Why is it considered a natural thing??
                My parents brought me up liberally , yes but no way was I ever tempted or naturally inclined to take that route.

Wake me up...we won..

by soms on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 08:47:36 AM PDT

•  will you keep your children (3+ / 0-)

from ever having a beer?  that's recreational drug use.

and i hate to break it to you, but drug use is entirely acceptable - just look at all the pharma commercials on teevee.  i'm sorry but any children you have are given the message every single day that drugs are the answer.  it just happens that some are legal and some are not.

"Government, like dress, is the badge of lost innocence; the palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise." Thomas Paine, Common Sense

by Cedwyn on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 06:48:30 AM PDT

•  Your statement "I am against legalizing drugs" (2+ / 0-)
            viscerality, plf515

is incredibly overbroad, moralistic, and selfish in imposing YOUR "values" on millions of people you have never met but are seemingly willing to make a very personal decision for.

Recreational drug use (Alcohol, cigarettes, prescription DRUGS) is acceptable in our society. In most societies in fact in the world. If you don't want your child to learn that fact, then you better lock them up in your house and don't ever let them outside, because it IS a fact, Jack.

If you don't want the odor of pot to be ubitiqous, then don't smoke it in your house. And don't come into mine.

Have a nice day, Rethug.

•  Do I deserve to be called a "Rethug" (1+ / 0-)
              soms

because I don't believe in legalization of marijuana?

I wonder why so many people here refuse to engage in a discussion on this topic.

President Obama, are aliens real?

by David Kroning on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 08:22:53 AM PDT

•  When you open the "discussion" with an (0+ / 0-)

absolutist position of no legalization of drugs which is supported by the Rethugs, do I deserve to be called "selfish" for wanting the same thing that alcohol and tobacco users get?

If you want to engage in an honest discussion about legalization of marijuana, I am more than happy to do that. Without the insults.

You did not make any exceptions for marijuana in your prior post. Do you believe pot is more harmful than alcohol or tobacco use, which are legal drugs that are sold and regulated and taxed in various ways?

Is there a difference between marijuana use and heroin or meth use? LSD? Peyote? Should they all be treated the same, despite the fact that their effects are radically different?

What about prescription drugs such as Adderall and Ritalin which many children take by prescription and many take without prescriptions?

Please take a look at this excellent diary (h/t beholderseye) if you have a few minutes.

•  THIS.... (0+ / 0-)

was my original statement:

I am against legalizing drugs, but believe that prison sentences for people who possess small quantities of drugs and paraphernalia are ridiculous.

People with drug habits should get counseling, rehabilitation and treatment.  Putting them in prison only takes people with a health problem and teaches them to become criminals.

I see how you are able to "discuss without insults."

Have a nice day.

President Obama, are aliens real?

by David Kroning on Sat Mar 28, 2009 at 12:12:58 PM PDT

•  I am a parent and I am for legalization n/t (3+ / 0-)
        Wayward Wind, LostInTexas, Saxman
      •  Parents of the incarcerated (1+ / 0-)
        plf515

have been the strongest, most persistent voices for this needed reform.

"extremist civil libertarian ben masel" - IHateBush, 3/27/09