View Diary: KY-Sen: Mongiardo Announces Fundraising Numbers (28 comments)

•  "Dr. Dan" wants to endanger (1+ / 0-)
    RDemocrat

women's health by criminalizing abortion. Seems like he should read the Hippocratic oath. (Perhaps he read the hypocritic oath instead.) I'd rather have someone else.

But he's better than Bunning.

"Hamas is bad, but not as bad the IDF." - edtastic

by Mikemoud Huckmadinejad on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 05:03:33 PM PDT

•  I disagree (1+ / 0-)
      blueyedace2

With Mongiardo on Abortion and Gay Marriage but those are issues Democrats are never going to win on in Kentucky. I think he will be a good Senator and has the best chance of winning.

But hey, a lot can happen!!

Best wishes!!

•  Perhasp you're right. (1+ / 0-)
        RDemocrat

Which is why I said that he's better than Bunning - which he is. And more sane, too.

"Hamas is bad, but not as bad the IDF." - edtastic

by Mikemoud Huckmadinejad on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 05:21:08 PM PDT

•  That is horrible that Mongiardo addresses women (1+ / 0-)
        RDemocrat

like that.

Kentucky is a bassackward state for women's rights and this is the best the Democratic Party can find?

I knew about his stance on gay rights, but had no clue he was a Neanderthal toward women.

<div style="color: #a00000;"> Our... constitutional heritage rebels at the thought of giving government the power to control men's minds. Thurgood Marshal

by bronte17 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 06:10:40 PM PDT

•  There will be another... (0+ / 0-)

And I have problems with Mongiardo on those issues too. I know he will fight for working folks and healthcare.

There will be at least one more option for Senate but they will hope to not have to talk about Abortion here.

While I have limited knowledge of medical things I did learn that statistics have shown that women who have had an abortion have higher rates of breast cancer, suicide and other medical and psychological problems. I could see where certain doctors might look at it from that perspective.

I just think that a woman should be able to make the choice to take that risk on her own.

Best wishes!!

•  Those "medical" things you have "learned" are NOT (2+ / 0-)
            cjallen, RDemocrat

true. Absolutely not remotely true.

Women do not need to be under the thumb and control of men when the women make their life choices.

Restricting access to knowledge of your body and its functions, as well as restricting access to birth control either by cost or availability is immoral.

No one has the right to force women to bear children at times when they are not ready.

And women do NOT need the preaching of morality. They need knowledge to care for their bodies and they need a civilized accessible methodology for birth control so they and their families are safe, healthy and can succeed in life.

by bronte17 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 06:30:14 PM PDT

•  Hey.. (0+ / 0-)

I support a woman's right to choose at any time, but statistics have shown that women who have had abortion do have higher rates of some cancers, suicide and depression. I learned that from a non-partisan college text achieving a minor in Psychology.

•  If we want to destroy the Republican Party (2+ / 0-)
      blueyedace2, RDemocrat

we need a broad coalition.  We have plenty of people who are pro-choice but awful on economic issues in our party, and there's also a place for people who will stand up for working people, but are against abortion.

-5.38, -5.90 Deus mihi iustitiam dabit.

by cjallen on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 05:10:07 PM PDT

•  Well spoken!!! (2+ / 0-)
        blueyedace2, cjallen

cjallen. I have always respected a lot of what you say. I hope you will come to Hillbilly Report and look around and maybe create an account and post.

Best wishes!!

•  Thanks. (1+ / 0-)
          RDemocrat

I try to have an open mind about people in our party, and I think they tend to go from conservative, pro-worker, anti-abortion, on one side, to "progressive populists" in the middle who tend to have the more "Democratic" position on every issue, to anti-worker pro-abortion liberals on the other side.

Ideally we would have as many mainstream Democrats as possible (populist progressives), but it's not always possible to elect them.  In some places we can elect social liberals who favor the wealthy and big business, like the two senators from WA state, and in some places we can elect people who are not as socially liberal but support working people, like Tim Ryan and Bob Casey, Jr.  Then, on any issue, hopefully we'll be able to establish a majority for the more Democratic position.

-5.38, -5.90 Deus mihi iustitiam dabit.

by cjallen on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 05:19:24 PM PDT

•  Indeed (1+ / 0-)
            cjallen

I took a lot of heat for defending Dan on Gay Marriage earlier this year and instead of considering the argument you just gave many just labeled me a homophobe.

Right now in this Senate we need more Senators who will fight for UHC and Workers issues and I believe Mongiardo will. Bunning or any other Republican sure as hell won't.

•  Well, is our aim to destroy (2+ / 0-)
        bronte17, RDemocrat

the Republican Party? That doesn't sound very realistic to me. Perhaps keep it out of power for a long time, but eventually, it'll come back.

Now, I'd be happy if Mongiardo defeated Bunning. However, I'd rather have someone other than a doctor who favors endangering women's health.

"Hamas is bad, but not as bad the IDF." - edtastic

by Mikemoud Huckmadinejad on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 05:23:53 PM PDT

•  We did it to the Federalists and the Whigs. (1+ / 0-)
          RDemocrat

The Republican Party only exists because the Democratic Party got so big it fractured.

And I work in a local political organization that brands itself as "progressive", but an important point is that we are only as progressive as the geography allows.  How progressive does Kentucky allow us to be?

-5.38, -5.90 Deus mihi iustitiam dabit.

by cjallen on Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 05:28:48 PM PDT

•  On the flip side... (1+ / 0-)
          cjallen

Mongiardo is a doctor who similar to Howard Dean has seen the serious problems with people not having health coverage and will fight for healthcare. It is his main goal. As cjallen noted, we have plenty of Democrats who will be defending a woman's right to choose. I am afraid we still need a few on healthcare.