View Diary: Save 300,000 Jobs--Boycott Chase [Update] (315 comments)

•  First they laid off the Michiganders... (3+ / 0-)
    gmb, LordMike, Tanya

Apologies to Pastor Niemoeller.

Are you the change or not?

by goinsouth on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 11:34:46 AM PDT

•  Okay but I don't want to risk a major bank (0+ / 0-)

Failure which would dig New York even deeper into the hole. Michigan is not my home state so I'm slightly more concerned about what happens in my home state instead of Michigan. Like I said, I'm not happy about Michigan failing but it is better Michigan than New York (from my viewpoint at least).

•  These banks are going down anyway. (1+ / 0-)
        Tanya

The observers I trust, like Roubini and Whitney, expect that a lot, even most, of these banks are going down anyway.  The government can't borrow or print enough to keep them afloat once CRE losses, credit card losses and corporate failures combine with the RRE crisis.

We're just throwing cash at them to hide the problem as long as possible, hoping against hope, that things will magically get better.

Like I said, first they came for the Michiganders, but your time will come in New York too.

Are you the change or not?

by goinsouth on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 11:50:17 AM PDT

•  Okay now let me throw some damn sense at you (0+ / 0-)

Adding something bad (shoving a dagger down a bank) to the bank which is experiencing the recession DOES NOT DO ANYTHING GOOD. Let me put it this way

People with no sense boycotting Chase (A strong bank)
          + A Recession
          =================
          A Bank Failing when it would've survived

Now Let me put it this way

People having sense and NOT boycotting Chase (A strong bank)
          + A recession
          ==================
          Recovery

And it has already come for New York, we have it nearly as bad as Michigan.  And when we produce vital industruries, Michigan produces crappy cars, Let me end this with a story my history profesor told the other day, "I am a proud Prius owner and have had the car for quite a few years, Everything on the car which was produced by Toyota [in the car] is great, but the seat belt which was made by GM Broke about a month after I bought the car." Why dont you think about the fact that the Big three are failing because they dont make the best, the fastest or the most fuel efficent cars instead of trashing another states economy?

•  MIchigan produces crappy cars? (2+ / 0-)
            gmb, LordMike

Wow.

Fords, Chevys and Dodges may not be perfect, but they beat the hell out of what Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan have done to the world's economy.

You can have your precious New York banks.

Are you the change or not?

by goinsouth on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 12:21:55 PM PDT

•  They exactly the same (0+ / 0-)

The same people run them.  They used the same shady accounting practices to avoid disclosing risks they took on, etc.

"Dream for just a second and then do it!" -- Kolmogorov

by theran on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 12:28:26 PM PDT

•  I've never met anyone who complained (0+ / 0-)

about their bank account with a New York bank breaking down, being a lemon or just being crap and if it did, they'd get it back through the FDIC. But I've met PLENTY of people with a Chrysler lemon, disfunctional GM or Ford which didn't last more than a year or two.

And BTW banks such as Bank of America are fine, they bought up a bad bank and their stock has been steadily climbing, don't worry about NY Banks.

•  And GM, Chrysler and Ford have been (0+ / 0-)

worse for the economy, the environment and the country. They were ignorant to the fact that the SUV was not a car that would sell because of gas prices and Environmental concerns, their SUVS are emiting gases which are ruining the planet and they are screwing with american power because they can't produce a product to compete with Japan. The Car comnpanies have done far worse than the banks.

•  UID #193023 (3+ / 1-)
            emptywheel, trashablanca, goinsouth
            Hidden by:
            KDuffy

.... this site is full of reeper wall street shills that want to keep shuffling paper representing nothing back and forth for a living.

"Toads of Glory, slugs of joy... as he trotted down the path before a dragon ate him"-Alex Hall/ Stop McClintock

by AmericanRiverCanyon on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 01:41:58 PM PDT

•  I'm not a Wall St. shrill (0+ / 0-)

I've been on dkos for months now and am TU, once again I am not a Wall St shrill.

•  Sorry, you are either a Wall Street shill (3+ / 0-)

Or utterly ignorant not just about the auto industry, but about Wall Street's crimes and responsibility. You honestly think Wall Street has done nothing to hurt the country, now that they've turned us into Argentina?!?!?

LOL. You're almost cute!

But if you'd like to remain ignorant, I'm not going to waste my time.

This is the way democracy ends Not with a bomb But with a gavel -Max Baucus

by emptywheel on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 01:49:23 PM PDT

•  Detroit has done more damage (0+ / 0-)

See my above comments since i'm not wasting my time re-typing it.  And how the fuck did you come up with Argentina, that was pulled out of thin air I can tell you that much. And can you avoid being ignorant and avoid wasting my time.

•  cue music. "Don't cry for me, Argentina, ...." (2+ / 0-)
                    emptywheel, goinsouth

... "for I know nothing about your country
                    I'm stuck in New York CIty
                    I've never left there
                    My total existence
                    Is minus Michigan
                    Don't keep bugging me

And as for for fortune and as for fame
                    I never learned anything
                    Though it seemed to the world
                    That Argentina went bust
                    doing the same thing
                    That history is all illusions
                    They're not the solutions
                    They promised to be
                    The answer was here, all the time
                    Import Everything Manufactured
                    I love China and hope China loves me

Don't cry for me, Argentina

There's nothing more I can think to say to you
                    So I'll hide rate it
                    After all, I can't think
                    All you have to do
                    Is look at me to know that"

original lyrics by Andrew Lloyd Webber

by AmericanRiverCanyon on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 02:37:18 PM PDT

•  How adorable. It gave me a hide rate for noticing (1+ / 0-)
                  emptywheel

... its high number.  How did it get TU, by posting cat pictures every day?  It doesn't seem to be old enough to have a drivers license since it knows nothing about cars or the economy.  Maybe it will say something stupid again if I ask how the subway ride to school goes every morning.

by AmericanRiverCanyon on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 02:20:39 PM PDT

•  We had a young (1+ / 0-)
              AmericanRiverCanyon

Splutterly NYer in the last diary I posted on this stuff. He was the only one defending JPMC and had them made out oto be super heros. I guess they gotta do something with their youngest hires.

This is the way democracy ends Not with a bomb But with a gavel -Max Baucus

by emptywheel on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 01:56:06 PM PDT

•  Uhhhh... (0+ / 0-)

I'd sure like to see some proof that GM makes seatbelts for Prius' - that just doesn't pass the common sense test to me. Now, maybe the same supplier makes seatbelts for both.

"...I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway."

by soundchaser on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 04:00:20 PM PDT

•  It sounded like it was a replacement but I didn't (0+ / 0-)

•  Well, I'm of the opinion that... (0+ / 0-)

when something sounds so obviously BS as that did, it should be called out. Even if it was a replacement, it wouldn't be made for a Prius by GM - it would be made by whoever Toyota sources their parts from.

"...I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway."

by soundchaser on Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 08:10:09 PM PDT