View Diary: We interrupt this channel... (318 comments)

•  They cancelled Kings. (5+ / 0-)

Wes Studi was the guest lecturer in one of my film classes on Tuesday. I'd never heard of Kings before then, so I went and watched them all. Great, great show. And gone.

Seems like there was a time that TV networks let good shows find an audience. Seinfeld had lousy ratings its first season, too.

"I set up a stage, put up a few banners, stuck a podium up there, and started shouting 'Yes we can.' Next thing you know there's 150,000 people here." -Joe

by Geiiga on Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 05:12:10 PM PDT

•  They cancelled it ALREADY? (5+ / 0-)

Geez, talk about not givin' somethin' a chance. Ugh.

•  No kidding (3+ / 0-)

Moving it from Sunday to Sat could not have helped. We were watching, if only in the hopes that the King would go visit the ex-King and offer him a can of tin peaches.

Much love around here for Ian McShane.

•  Heck Dollhouse is just about canned too (3+ / 0-)

Hate to be a killjoy but Lisa De Mores at the Washington Post said it was gone in her Friday chat.  I feel for the fans, I always get hooked on shows that get canned.

•  Chances (3+ / 0-)

Well, to be fair, it was, according to all accounts, incredibly expensive; and it was getting just absolutely clobbered in the ratings (I think I remember it losing out to at least one basic cable show one week), despite a pretty strong promotional push from the network.

Throw in the fact that NBC is nuking one-third of their prime-time schedule in the fall, and it's not too surprising that they've given up on it. Hell, even Chuck, which has pretty good numbers, is in danger because of the upcoming Leno block.

"I play a street-wise pimp" — Al Gore

by Ray Radlein on Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 06:06:26 PM PDT

•  Leno sucks. Leno has always sucked. (5+ / 0-)

That's just not fair to Chuck, man.

•  Leno basically stole Arsenio Hall's (2+ / 0-)

show format. When Arsenio decided to take off to take care of his mother(!)and started to reduce his show load, I noticed that Leno basically got the hot happening band, the hip, cool r&b and rock guest bands, the blockbuster show tie ins, some social commentary ( but nothing groundbreaking)- all the stuff Arsenio did first. That's why althogh Leno may not be great, the Tonight show held on for so long.

•  ...but then what would they show? (4+ / 0-)

After having the strongest lineup on television the last two seasons, NBC has aggressively moved to suckify their prime time. The third season of Heroes has been nigh unwatchable, and Chuck and Life were the only good shows on the network this year until Kings. Kings has already been canceled, and Chuck and Life seem to both be on the ropes.

Meanwhile, they've got fifteen Law and Order series, all of which suck, and a dozen reality shows, which are all worse than Law and Order. Seems like NBC's flirtation with being a network with good programming was short-lived.

by Geiiga on Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 06:30:08 PM PDT

•  The Math (0+ / 0-)

Well, the key here is the fact that they are carving off 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM every week night for Leno. That means that they need to find new hjomes for all of their current 10:00 PM programming. ER is over, so that helps a little; but all of their other 10:00 shows are going to need to fall back to 9:00, and some of their 9:00 shows might have to move to 8:00, etc., etc.

I'd certainly make room for Life and Cchuck in their schedule if I were in charge; but, well, I'm sort of not. Dammit.

"I play a street-wise pimp" — Al Gore

by Ray Radlein on Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 06:42:48 PM PDT

•  Only two Law and Orders are on NBC. (2+ / 0-)
            Ray Radlein, Geenius at Wrok

At least it's not like CBS, which except for its comedies (two of which I like - BB and HIMYM) seems to play versions of the same show over and over. CSI, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist (which actually, for a show of its kind, isn't bad), Numbers, etc... isn't this all the same show?

They seem to have more reality than NBC - albeit it's more successful. Which makes me sad. (Yes, I watched the first season of Survivor, so color me guilty, but it was summertime! It was new! What else was on?)

•  Just FYI. (3+ / 0-)

Not yet officially canceled. In fact, the Hollywood Reporter said last week that the show's chances were roughly at 50/50.

Nevertheless, last night's ratings were bad and people are not holding out a huge amount of hope.

Forward to Yesterday -- Reactionary aesthetics and liberal politics (in that order)

by LABobsterofAnaheim on Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 08:12:42 PM PDT

•  I tried watching the first episode (2+ / 0-)
        CParis, golconda2

and endured it for about 20 minutes. All I could think was how glad I am that I don't live in a monarchy in real life.

"The great lie of democracy, its essential paradox, is that democracy is first to be sacrificed when its security is at risk." --Ian McDonald

by Geenius at Wrok on Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 10:18:53 PM PDT

•  Per Dushku... (0+ / 0-)

Fox kept meddling with the soup for the first five eps or so, then finally backed off and let Joss do his thing.  There's a noticeable upswing from ep six onward--watch the first five so you get all the backstory, then see how much it jumps after that.

"Nothing's wrong, son, look at the news!" -- Firesign Theater

by SmartAleq on Sun Apr 26, 2009 at 06:12:59 PM PDT

•  Even bad shows (usually) got a season (0+ / 0-)

I remember back in the day when turds like Hank, Camp Runamuck and My Mother, The Car were carried for an entire season -- including reruns after the original run -- and the best thing you can say about those shows is that they only lasted one season. The premises were laughable, the characters cartoonish and the plots required more than the usual amount of willing suspension of disbelief.

Like most things these days, TV seems geared toward the quick fix, the short-term profit. I realize that there is only so much you can do in a medium where you have to allow for viewers to be able to get up and go to the bathroom, but the existence of shows like Battlestar Galactica or Buffy The Vampire Slayer shows that qualty TV is still possible.

They only call it class warfare when we fight back.

by Omir the Storyteller on Sat Apr 25, 2009 at 06:35:24 PM PDT

•  Tragic. That was a Hulu for me (0+ / 0-)

There are some shows that don't merit my couch time yet, but I'll watch them avidly on Hulu while I clean the kitchen or do something else productive. Once I like them enough, they earn couch time. Dollhouse got couch ranking for the first time last night

It seems like now, more than ever, networks need to be able to factor in a possible "late start", for shows like this and "The Riches" that don't develop their audiences until after the show's already been canceled

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (70)
  • Memorial Day (29)
  • Civil Rights (27)
  • Elections (27)
  • Culture (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Media (26)
  • Science (24)
  • Law (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (23)
  • Labor (22)
  • Economy (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Rescued (20)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site