View Diary: WHO, Phase Four And Uncertainty (231 comments)

•  Are people stockpiling Tamiflu and Relenza? (3+ / 0-)
    OLinda, Old Gardener, cadejo4

Just curious. I wonder if production has increased.

An eye for an eye and the whole world will be blind.

by rini6 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 05:58:18 PM PDT

•  No doubt (3+ / 0-)
      OLinda, cadejo4, rini6

People who have access to it are stockpiling or hoarding if they can. Has ever been thus.

"People who have what they want are fond of telling people who haven't what they want that they really don't want it." Ogden Nash (on universal health care?)

by Catte Nappe on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:06:30 PM PDT

•  Tamiflu (3+ / 0-)
      skywaker9, cadejo4, rini6

My guess is that unless you have serious connections, you can't get prescriptions for it unless you are ill, therefore no stockpiling. Just a guess though. Maybe someone else will comment.

•   think about non-pharmeceutical interventions (12+ / 0-)

known as NPI... telecommuting, hand washing, closing schools early, etc.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:09:18 PM PDT

•  I think that's a good question (6+ / 0-)

I'm not proud of it, but I did buy enough for three treatments today, with the hope that loved ones or myself never have to use it. I would only use it if my doctor prescribed it. My problem is that I live in a developing country (Guatemala, with 3 suspected cases) where Tamiflu stocks could very well run out. Hence the moral dilemma. If stocks became unavailable, I'd probably discuss with a clinic I support about the possibility of making my little supply available to others who needed it. In general, I think the danger is that people may take it without medical supervision, which could lead to a quicker mutation of the virus to a resistant strain.

"I had seen the universe as it begins for all things. It was, in reality, a child's universe, a tiny and laughing universe." Loren Eiseley

by cadejo4 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:10:34 PM PDT

•  I have some old Tamflu (5+ / 0-)

I have almost enough for my whole family, but it is expired and we only have enough for three people (we're four.) I hesitate to call more into the pharmacy (I'm a physician) but I'm tempted.

An eye for an eye and the whole world will be blind.

by rini6 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:20:34 PM PDT

•  I can't imagine the U.S. would run out (1+ / 0-)
          rini6

Basically, I figured one therapeutic treatment and one prophylactic treatment, which is equivalent to three treatments. I've never done this before and wouldn't have done it in the States, but living abroad where things can run short made this a much harder decision.

by cadejo4 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:25:18 PM PDT

•  Could "run out" (2+ / 0-)
            cadejo4, rini6

From San Diego

Wooten said the county has its own stockpile – enough to treat all first responders and still have 300 doses available for public distribution.
            As a precaution, she said, local hospital staff members and public health workers who had direct contact with swine flu patients have received the treatment.
            While the makers of Tamiflu and Relenza reported healthy inventories in the United States, supplies of Tamiflu had sold out by yesterday at some pharmacies along Avenida Revolución in Tijuana, where the medicine is sold over the counter.

Googling to get information about quantity of Tamiflu or Relenza available (to compare to number of people in need if this became a widespread pandemic). What I get is massive coverage of the effect on stock values of manufacturers, as well as stories about drug stores claiming they have "enough" supplies, or are prepared to "reorder" as needed. All about how this feeds into the "economy". Zippity-doo-dah about how it all affects large numbers of potentially sick people.

by Catte Nappe on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:49:03 PM PDT

•  Wow! ...textbook (2+ / 0-)
          Pithy Cherub, rini6

That is tailor made for an ethics case study.

There is the "pure" correct decision - Oh, no you don't!

But then there are the outcome situational factors. If this is a short lived fizzle, would you be ashamed to admit to doing it, in a lecture a year from now? Or not? What if it was not only a re-run of 1918, but of the Black Death? Maybe then it would be seen as something to be proud of?

I mean, it could keep you (and your immediate suport network) alive to minister to the millions of afflicted. Or what about making sure that you are safe, for that reason, but not the rest of your family?

And you can't "know" for sure except in 20/20 hindsight.

by Catte Nappe on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:37:30 PM PDT

•  I hope you stay safe (3+ / 0-)
        OLinda, Catte Nappe, cadejo4

I have been worrying about you since I read your diary today. How much did the tamiflu cost? I am hearing here in Mexico it is very expensive about 500 pesos per dose, way more than most can afford. For a family of four it would cost almost a hundred dollars. Tijuana pharmacies have sold out of it..I bet a lot of to people from the US side of the border. People in Mexico City are saying they are getting turned away at clinics.

•  Thanks, yes, I've got my N95 (4+ / 0-)
          OLinda, Catte Nappe, mariachi mama, KimD

mask and am trying to stay safe. The Tamiflu may be more expensive here. I paid Q550 per box 10 capsules - or about $70. For a family of 4, that would be $280. That is far more than most Guatemalan families can afford. I hope the government has a stockpile, but somehow doubt it. (I could find out with a phone call and will ask before diarying about swine flu in Guatemala again. At this moment I just dread knowing the answer.)

by cadejo4 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 07:27:56 PM PDT

•  P.S. Mariachi Mama (1+ / 0-)
          mariachi mama

Stay safe in Mexico, too!!!!

by cadejo4 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 07:35:13 PM PDT